Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:12:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691087
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lukewarmgrave at DevLAM17 - update 05.01.18 Concludes Game 1, The Haunted Temple  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius

All was quiet in the scriptorium. An ascetic youth, pale-faced, dark floppy hair, a dreamy lavender coloured crushed velvet robe, worn with sensitive grace, prepared to write.
“As the roseate fingers of dawn brushed the azure.....”
He paused, somewhat alarmed, as the heavy door to the scriptorium was thrown open with a crash and a voice, female, raucous and frankly rather common, filled the room.
“Oi... you! Yes, you in the poncey robe”
“Me, madam” squeaked the clerk.
“Don’t you ‘madam’ me”
“ I beg your pardon, miss”
“And don’t you ‘miss’ me either. I’m Thanda the Grim and I’m a wizard so the only thing you call me is ‘Boss’. Got it?”
“And anyway, she continued without waiting for an answer, I don’t want you writing my story with your roseate-fingers-of-dawn bollocks.
“H-how did you know what I was writing?” quavered the unfortunate scribe
“I’m a wizard. I know things. Now clear off before you get an elemental bolt where the sun don’t shine, sunshine....!”
He fled.
Thanda looked round the scriptorium. Her gaze settled on a scholar who was trying to make himself inconspicuous behind a bookcase. He looked hungry and tired, his faded robe reinforced by leather patches where his elbows threatened to poke through the threadbare material.
“You” snarled Thanda, her metallic, vulgar voice offensive in that sanctuary of learning. “You write my story. Keep it simple and put in lots of pretty pictures.”
The scholar opened his mouth to protest, thought better of it and sat down at his desk. As if by magic, Thanda’s story appeared in his brain. Actually, it was indeed by magic.
He began to write.

Before we get to Thanda’s story, a little background. A couple of weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to be invited to a Gentleman’s Wargaming Weekend at Snapcase Hall in Devon – the country seat of Mad Lord Snapcase himself. More information on this august gathering can be found here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=105082.0

His Lordship had prepared two splendid games for the weekend, details of which can be found on the appropriate boards here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=105180.0
and here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=105274.0

My fellow guest, known as Vagabond and only just qualifying as a Gentleman Wargamer by the skin of his teeth (he’s from Yorkshire) also prepared an equally splendid game which you can read about here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=105328.0

My intention was to lounge around, playing these games and drinking His Lordship’s booze but eventually, my better nature kicked in and I thought “Oh bugger, I’d better put something on; what’s quick and easy?” So, I settled on Frostgrave. I had to do a little preparation but nothing too taxing and neither of the others had played it so I reckoned I could make a lot up as I went along. I’d only played twice before but, hey – what could go wrong? As it happened, nothing did, really. Scenery could have been a problem if I’d felt tied to “straight” Frostgrave because I don’t have much in the way of frosty stuff – a dozen snow-laden trees and one temple with an attempt at dirty snow. So (and I suspect this applies to quite a few Frostgravers), I relied on just using what scenery was available, which turned out to be an eclectic mix. And so we come to :

LUKEWARMGRAVE at devLAM17

Of which, more will follow......

Doug
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:29:21 PM by Doug em4 »

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
Re: Lukewarngrave at DevLAM17
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:12:34 PM »
Looking forward to this :D

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 11:45:25 PM »

He began to write.

Well it's an excellent start but where's the middle and end.

I've settled in, ready for a good 2 hour read about the daring exploits of Thanda The Grim, that gallant and wise wizard of great renown. The bold and brave stories of the legendary warrior Red Sonia. The most amazing adventures of Tina The Swift the most successful thief of her time. The startling tales of the most promising apprentice in the land of Lukewarmgrave Ruffiana Grey Eye.
They were assisted in these heroic deeds by other renowned warriors, archers and treasure hunters who's exploits are spoken about with awe wherever brave and noble men and women gather.

They went to Snapcase Hall to right wrongs, seek glory, protect the innocent and maybe pick up a bit of treasure and the family silver if no one was looking.

They were there to defeat the dark forces commanded by that arch villain, what's his name, and his apprentice Ron, who were summoning zombies, attacking innocent women and committing more dastardly deeds than you could shake a stick at.

I shall contain my impatience.

Good start Doug, really looking forward to the rest of it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 10:20:56 PM by Vagabond »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 11:14:22 AM »
They went to Snapcase Hall to right wrongs, seek glory, protect the innocent and maybe pick up a bit of treasure and the family silver if no one was looking.

There you are, sorted that one for you!   ;)

They were there to defeat the dark forces commanded by that arch villain, what's his name, and his apprentice Ron, who were summoning zombies, attacking innocent women and committing more dastardly deeds than you could shake a stick at.

A vile and scurrilous attack on Simon, the Holy Hedge Wizard and his apprentice. I cast Dispel Magic and your calumnies and aspersions are revealed as the slander they are, oh treacherous one!

Good start Doug, really looking forward to the rest of it.

Seconded, great start, that's the stuff to give the troops!

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »
Looking forward to this :D

Thanks, jp - this, of course, is the event that kept Sir Gilbert Hill away from sorting out the recent spot of bother in Herefordshire...

Doug

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 01:16:16 PM »
I shudder to think what you two degenerates got up to at Much Piddling Manor with the Lord and Master..........and can I be included next time lol lol. I look forward to to hearing what the long suffering Butler has to say.
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Lukewarmgrave at DevLAM17 - Getting Started
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 03:49:28 PM »
We managed two games of Lukewarmgrave, sandwiched between the Wild West, the Pulp and the Gothic Horror. First was:

The Haunted Temple
By Septimus Sadshanks, scribe to Thanda the Grim

THE WARBANDS:

Simon the Holy Man (Mad Lord Snapcase)
Drizzt Do’Urden (Thug); Locke Lamora (Thief); Mad Scot McMad (Thief); Legless (Archer); Simon the Holy Man (Hedge Wizard); Ron Weasley (Apprentice); Eddie Grundy (Archer); Grasshopper (Infantryman); Amy Farrar-Fowler (Thug); Tiny (Infantryman).

Thanda the Grim (Vagabond)
Aneka (Crossbow) Red Sonia (Treasure Hunter) Rufina Grey Eye (Apprentice) Signy Freyas Dotter (Thief) Thanda The Grim (Wizard) Sandra The Dancer (Treasure Hunter) Tina The Swift (Thief) Ashara (Archer)

Deep in the wilderness
lie many secrets which, in turn, fuel speculation and rumour in the settled lands. Inevitably, these rumours tell of vast wealth and mysterious magic and equally inevitably, the adventurous, the stout-hearted and the foolish seek to test the truth of such alluring tales.

Thus we find the warbands of two mighty wizards approaching the scene of a ruined temple, ancient beyond imagining, and hidden deep within the wilderness.

Both wizards give the command to seek and find the treasure and let no man or thing hinder their quest.

to be continued

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Lukewarmgrave at DevLAM17 - Getting Started
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 04:38:03 PM »
To continue:

Thanda the Grim's band of ruffians approached from the west (or was it the east? with so much magic around, no-one was quite sure). They spread out to snaffle easy pickings to their left. Ahead, lay a ruined temple with the glint of treasure visible amongst the rubble. It was close to Thanda's mob but maybe also to the other warband they knew to be in the area. worth a try anyway. To the right lay more treasure - further away and liable to be the cause of squabbles.

Meanwhile, Simon the Holy Man's crew shuffled forward from the east (or was it the west - see above).

Most of Simon's band, including the Great Man himself and his apprentice, head towards the rocky out-crop on their left, leaving Tiny, Grasshopper and Locke Lamora to edge round the outskirts of the deserted village. All is quiet.

Meanwhile, While Simon was conducting his complicated, tactical evolutions, Thanda's gals had been snaffling loot.
In the foreground, by the walls, Signy and Red Sonia close in on some treasure

.....and efficiently secure it.

Already, Thanda was gathering wealth while Simon was rock climbing. Had the Holy Man left his challenge too late?

to be continued

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
Re: Lukewarmgrave at DevLAM17 - update 11.12.17
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 07:21:48 PM »
Love that table set-up. Bring on the rest of the story!

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 01:50:23 PM »
Thanks, Joe - much appreciated.

I just have to make sure that the next game features some mechs and dragons... ;) :D

More on this when I can sit down for an hour to put it together.

Doug

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 05:31:27 PM »
continued

Thanda, with Aneka and Tina went straight down the middle to the ruined temple, unable to resist the obvious treasure lying there. As weall know, obvious treasure isn't always a good thing.

The black counters are substitutes for the gravestones which I forgot to bring with me

A spot of Telekenesis and a large treasure chest is pulled towards Thanda whilst Tina grabs a large heap of the glittery stuff.

At which point, Thanda and her chums are assailed by some very big spiders. Thanda doesn't like spiders

Aneka attempts to hold of the aggressive arachnids at bay while her companions secure the loot but is quickly overcome and slain!

Just as Thanda and Tina finish off the spiders and congratulate themselves on securing so much treasure, a hideous, undead warrior arises from one of the graves and attacks Tina.

Meanwhile, on Thandra's right, Ashera rushes forward to take a fourth treaure for Thandra's band, a move which reveals a group of strangers descending a rocky outcrop right in front of her - Simon the Holy Man and his followers had arrived...!

Could this possibly get any more exciting...?

Hopefully.

More laterr.

Doug

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 05:35:48 PM by Doug em4 »

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Re: Lukewarmgrave at DevLAM17 - update 01.01.18
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »
Well done Doug the report is coming on a pace.

I hope you are going to censor the photos of Simon the wizard from the hedge, this is a family forum and we don't want to give anyone nightmares, having seen a naked man dressed only in a hat and beard :o

I like the way you have edited the photos on the previous post, eliminating the background clutter, it looks very professional.  Looking forward to the next installment.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 07:37:39 PM »
I like the way you have edited the photos on the previous post, eliminating the background clutter, it looks very professional.  Looking forward to the next installment.

Thank you, dear boy.....the main thing to eliminate was Mad Lord Snapcase's commodius midriff..... :D

Doug

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 10:06:16 PM »
Enjoying the report; looking forward to next instalment.

RMZ

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 11:39:01 AM »
More stirring tales of magical derring-do - bravo!