Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:07:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kingdom of Rome vs Italian city states (and Etruscans)?  (Read 6248 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Kingdom of Rome vs Italian city states (and Etruscans)?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 07:27:04 PM »
For 6th century Italy you may look for "early" or "archaic period" hoplites. So a good number of bell cuirasses but very few Corinthian helmets. If the Warlord set is identical to the former one by Immortal, it might provide a fair few suitable models. However, the minis are rather small and slender and visibly different from most other offerings out there. Not ideal in a skirmish-sized setting.
Your best bet is still to use either Aventine or the dedicated range by Gorgon (links above). Both cover Italian 'fashions' as well which are otherwise hard to come by. ;)

Hmm, I just dug them out (Ancient Greek Hoplites+ Spartans), and they DO look a bit... well, 'slender'... although they would seem to measure about 28 mm from sole to eye.

It is a real shame that Gorgon has almost no pics, I really don't like buying unseen stuff.

You could have a look here too: http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=historical-2528mm-ancient
Ciao

Well, I don't really like those sculpts, but they give some ideas about equipment and style, so thanks for the link!

Also if you already have warlord plastics, check Aventine for separated heads that ight suit the period and use the plastic ones. That probably gives you a good mix of equipment/figures.

That might work - if the heads are not too 'heroic' (i.e. big) to look good. Atm I can only find 'successor heads', though.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 07:51:57 PM »
When I was still a schoolboy, decades ago, I wanted to do a whole series of unusual armies:-
Royalist Romans (pre-Republic) to fight an Etruscan army (Hoplites with chariots) ;
Henry VIII catholic;
Napoleonic Americans (with Indian allies)
ACW period Canadians;
WW1 Imperial Russian air force and
WW2 Russians V Japanese.

Big surprise I haven't finished any of them, but 'to realise your dreams is to loose them'

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »
If it helps, the Gorgon etruscans are compatible with foundry world of the greeks.

About the heads i just realized you probably have the Warlord/Immortal greeks am i correct?
If so indeed the heads from aventine are big for those figures. Sorry for the wrong tip

Victrix has armoured and unarmored samnites if that helps.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 09:14:07 PM »
If it helps, the Gorgon etruscans are compatible with foundry world of the greeks.

About the heads i just realized you probably have the Warlord/Immortal greeks am i correct?
If so indeed the heads from aventine are big for those figures. Sorry for the wrong tip

Victrix has armoured and unarmored samnites if that helps.

Yes, and they are going to supply Samnite heads with their republican Roman cavalry.

I may end up going the route of the somewhat later (3rd Cty BC) Italic tribes, as they are so much easier to come by, but I don't know. At the moment, I am grappling at anything to find that particular 'thing' that just feels so right that I get instantly motivated for building/painting some stuff for it...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 07:05:16 PM »
I believe that the cavalry in the deal are from Aventine miniatures.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 07:16:40 PM »
I believe that the cavalry in the deal are from Aventine miniatures.

Ah, that might be it... thanks.

I am so used to 'Roman' being defined by 'Polybian', 'Caesarean', 'Early Imperial', etc., so I assumed the word to mean something along those lines.  lol

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 08:15:58 PM »
Well I think Aventine is one of the seven hills of Rome so it could have been.  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 08:34:16 PM »
Well I think Aventine is one of the seven hills of Rome so it could have been.  :)

It is, AFAIR the place where the poor lived in early times.

Offline valerio81

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 04:05:55 PM »
I am doing a very similar project! Roman and etruscan armies around middle V cent. a.c. I finally settled on a solution which while not perfect is good enough for me. I am using plastic hoplites in full gear for aristocrats.

For the poorer guys, I have a mix of unarmoured guys, plus romans and a few samnites with the bronze square pectoral only. Shields are a mix of hoplites, roman scutums (I am using those which came with the victrix romans, but cutting away the reinfirced edges) and italic square shields. More scutums for the italian, more squares for the etruscans. Of course, no pilums but only spears and swords.

For heads, I am using either no helmet, the 3 apulo-corinthian helmets (withlut plumes) that come with the romans, and some of the heads included in the olastic hoplites, which are actually pilos helmets but weith a little sanding and a little fantasy can pass as some kind of negau.. I hope to be able to post some photos soon!

My plan is to also buy some Aventine hilly warriors to use as volscians/sabines/aequi and play with dux britanniarum. Very nice game for large skirmishes, 5-6 units each of 6 warriors plus leaders and skirmishers.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:29:55 PM by valerio81 »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 07:06:50 PM »
Sounds like a plan. I hope you are posting pics along the way!

As is so often the case, my butterfly mind has had me focus my attention on other matters for a while (some of which is to clear my prepping station a bit, so I can continue work on my hoplites for Broken Legions), so I have not made progress regarding this - but it is still something I plan to pursue.

Offline fantail

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
The upcoming Victrix Republican Roman Cavalry set will include Negau helmeted heads which will be handy for conversion work.

Offline valerio81

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2018, 04:01:59 PM »
Great news!! I will have to buy even if I don t need any cavalry...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 06:47:42 PM »
The upcoming Victrix Republican Roman Cavalry set will include Negau helmeted heads which will be handy for conversion work.

Yes, I saw and noted those  :)

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 10:37:44 PM »
Of course, no pilums but only spears and swords.

Why not? The Etruscans had pila in the fifth century...

As a youngster I decided that an army with large quantities of very unenthusiastic hoplites with pila was a battle winning combination. I can tell you now that it isn’t! I did thoroughly enjoy combining the Greek, Italian and Roman components of the Amazon / QT Miniatures line to make up my Etruscans though.