Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:42:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Blue Moon's Boxers list on blog now  (Read 1704 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Blue Moon's Boxers list on blog now
« on: December 02, 2017, 05:10:44 AM »
...sort of.

It's 'my' version of the German Legation using the Austrian Legation, a gate house, gate, four corners (2 sets of 2), and a set of walls (3 in the set).  It works out to be 17 inches square - in 18 mm, of course.  Had to pull up a photo to figure out the balcony and its support which are two separate pieces but nicely done and fit well.

I also got three of the Ruined House #5, 6" x 12".  Why three?  I'm going to use them to represent the Su where the Chinese christian civilians hung out near the Legation quarter.  Also, maybe, the Hanlin library.  These ruins also match in size to the 126 Chinese Industrial Building - I'll probably use it as part of the Su.  Or the Fu?  (Su Wang Fu?)

This is my second of what will be a minimum of three orders of this range but the next one will wait until well into the new year at this point.

Pictures later, only unpacked the box this evening which arrived today to check out the contents.  Should now have all the figures I need - though I'll need to order one of the Maxim guns in the range.  Actually, I'll have quite a few 'extra' figures that I'll use for actions away from the siege actions.  And I might get more figures for such games but I'm trying to resist since I have a LOT of figures to paint for this set up.

I used this order to get the rest of the 'expensive' buildings so the next order I'll fill in whatever else I want, some in multiples, so even if I spent an equal amount of money I'll get a lot for my money.  Hopefully, I'll get the order in before my Army Card expires again.  If so, I'll just renew - it'll pay for itself as it always does (at least for me).

I guess you could say I am a Huge fan of Blue Moon.  A pile of my money in their coffers proves that.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 06:37:21 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Blue Moon's German Legation - well...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »
You have probably already said in another thread, but how big is the whole layout going to be?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:27:43 AM »
Can't say I know yet the final dimensions but take a look here:

http://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/boxer-rebellion.html

Just keep in mind the lists of changed quite a bit and will be updated when I get some time.  I believe all Legation related figures are now collected - but not painted yet, including the Chinese.  Still possible I may add some figures for campaigns away from Peking (or Peking inspired type) games.  Think Seymour or Gazelle expeditions.  Or even the reprisals (though not much fighting back by then).

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:11:42 PM »
Just setup all the buildings I've purchased so far to see how it looks.  Here is the link:

http://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/boxer-rebellion.html

Now, time to go subterranean.  Well, lunch first!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:14:39 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Deano

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Steve Dean Painting
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:12:05 PM »
very cool.

I've been tempted by the BM Boxer stuff. How would you rate the figures?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 06:13:41 AM »
Deano, I'd rate the Boxer figures First Class.  

Now, I admit to being somewhat prejudiced towards Blue Moon's 15/18 mm figures because they've put a lot of "my ideas" into production.  No, no, not claiming my creations, just ideas I was hoping for - and some I communicated aloud in various forums - becoming metal reality.  Not all figures in all the ranges I've come into contact with have been of the same quality but, in general, the ranges are very good.  And, frankly, the Sherlock Holmes figure is one of the best sculpts I've ever seen in any size casting.  Just stunning.  You can see photos of just about every figure on their website, of course.  And the variety of poses is truly astonishing.  Having commissioned some figure sculpts and had them cast (by Old Glory who markets Blue Moon), I am in awe at the volume of what that company puts on the market.  And no doubt there is much we don't realize comes through that channel.

Still, in my opinion, again, I rate the Boxer range of figures First Class - be sure and check out the range of guns, useful in far more than the Boxer range.  Most of the figures can be used in many other ways, especially pulp.  The French Marines are great - and useful to anyone wanting to do early French Indochina actions.  You might find an occasional figure that isn't top of the line, but the vast majority are, well, great.  Just remember, this is 15/18 mm (really 18 mm) .  And, NO, they are not 20 mm figures!  But big, yes.

What, got me going?  Nah, what makes you say that?!   :D

In your astonishingly talented hands, they would be works of art.

Oh, for those wondering, I commissioned a group of African Cape Buffalo - seven poses plus a dead buffalo.  I will use them to build a 96 strong herd for my Plains of Africa set-up.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:16:42 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Deano

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Steve Dean Painting
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 07:53:14 PM »
Thanks. I'll have to get some then :-)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 02:32:58 PM »
Well, great.  How many African Cape Buffalo do you want?   lol

I hope to selling those, too.  But postage to UK can be brutal I here - and reverse.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Blue Moon's Boxers list on blog now
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 06:38:09 AM »
https://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com

Link leads to a listing of my Boxer side of the collection.  Legations to follow.  Yeah, there are 'a few' figures in the setup.

12/14 edit: The legations are now listed as well.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 01:41:56 PM by FifteensAway »