Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:25:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: British Airborne - 28mm  (Read 9309 times)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: British Airborne - 28mm
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2017, 10:37:56 PM »
Next Section (ish)

Got another 8 paras painted up, 6 to form the core of the next section, heavily armed with Stens for CQB, along with a PIAT and a Forward Observer (who will get a map added to his empty hand).

I'm pretty happy with these chaps - don't think there is anything more to do paint wise. Next up some varnish and basing.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2017, 10:00:58 PM »
Basing done on these 2 sections

First Section

Core of Second Section (& PIAT and FO)

Looking at these might add a bit green to the bases...

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2017, 09:50:23 AM »
Very good and nice basing.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 09:54:24 PM »
Got the 6pdr sprayed, and a couple of colours on the crew today

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 05:29:59 PM »
Progress was somewhat slowed on these by a mixture of Christmas  :D and post Christmas illness  :(

But I made good progress on the next batch of 10 over the weekend, these figures fill out the 2nd section, and give me the first 2 support weapons (Vickers and 6pdr)

Not quite finished, various highlights to add, and basing (and red berets!)

I also did a bit of shopping and added some jeeps and another section from 1st Corps

The 1st Corps figures are a bit bigger than the Warlord plastics, but nothing significant. If anything it is the Warlord metals that are rather small against the Warlord plastics.

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 02:52:34 PM »
Well done, good work in getting so much done.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2018, 07:29:46 PM »
Thanks, these do seem to be ticking over nicely

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 10:37:31 AM »
I've actually acquired some of the plastic British Paras recently, and they are surplus to my own requirements. Be happy to see if they are any use to you?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »
Thanks, I'll drop you a PM.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2018, 02:06:08 PM »
I was asked in a PM about the different hands and arms options I used. I thought the answer would be helped with a photo, and that other people might (!) be interested.

The majority of the arms on the British Airborne sprue come in pairs joined with a weapon, this makes it nice and easy for assembly, and this is the option I went with in most cases. There are just about enough body and arm options that you can make different pairings of bodies and arms with all the models in the kit.

These seven are the main ones I applied some customisation to - I haven't got to the stage of hacking apart figures to try to get different poses - I struggle to hold all the body, the 2 arms and the weapon together to get a fit again, so I generally go fairly small scale. One thing I did do with a number of the weapons is trim off the bayonet. This is very easy to do - much easier than trying to add bayonets.

From left to right:
*kneeling, LHS, Bren No2. Bren magazine trimmed from Bren Gun and added to open left hand.
*standing, LHS, running with sten. Trimmed the magazine from the Sten (this one is just moulded with the right hand). Left arm, cut off hand, and added hand with Sten magainze
*kneeling, centre left, Forward Observer, removed weapon from arm, to give an open right hand (this will get a map), removed strap from field glasses.
*standing centre, running officer right arm removed hand and weapon from forearm, added pistol hand.
*kneeling centre right, officer or observer, right hand as above to add pistol
*standing right, running rifleman, right hand with Sten removed, left hand is carrying sniper rifle, but with scope and extra stock plates removed (I've used this arm several times, but never as a sniper rifle)
*kneeling with bren, Bren arm partially cut at elbow to angle across body, I think the right arm was the one for the running rifle pose, with an open hand rotated 90º

Even though I only made these in the last month, its already hard to remember the mix of parts used!

I've mainly gone rifle armed for my sections, 1 bren, 2 steps and 7 rifles generally. And for this found that there aren't loads of rifle arms provided in the set - there are enough but only just enough to avoid duplicates. For one section I went quite Sten heavy, as especially at Arnhem/Osterbeek there are photos of groups of Paras predominately armed with Stens, and bolt action certainly allows this.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2018, 10:07:04 PM »
Next group pretty much done paint wise - bases still to do.

This gives me 2 full sections, a Vickers team, the start of the platoon HQ (an officer and a PIAT), and the crew for the 6pdr.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2018, 09:20:07 PM »
Done a bit of Bolt Action points totting up to see where I'm at.

All troops are Veteran unless noted (as they are paras)

First Lieutenant 90pts
PIAT Team 52 pts
Forward Observer free (regular)
1st Section, NCO, 9 men, 1 bren, 2 stens. 166 pts
2nd Section, NCO, 9 men, 1 bren, 5 stens. 175 pts
Machine Gun Team 65pts
6pdr AT gun 90pts  (nearly, the gun still needs painting)

Already 638pts, and 7 units.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2018, 10:26:34 PM »
Started on the next block of troops. These ones are a mix of the various support options

Standing - 2 Riflemen to add to weapons teams, sniper, 3"mortar, flame thrower, platoon sergeant
Kneeling - Medic, observer or officer, mortar crewman, 2" mortar team, another mortar crewman
Prone sniper

The desert yellow of the smocks looks very vibrant over the very pale grey undercoat, before its washed!

One question - the standing sniper has some kind of hood on his back, would this be part of the Denison Smock so camouflage, or its a bit of sniper kit in some other colour scheme?

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2018, 11:23:15 PM »
Always thought these were scrim hoods - see pix here:
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/airborne-special-forces/british-sniper-155182/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2018, 01:16:11 AM »
It's a shawl these are made by the individual soldier.They cover the majority of the back ,head,and upper arms. It's a compromise as ghillie suit is bloody heavy and bulky.

The picture you've got ,Has scrim scarves wrapped all over the place . No.....
Now I've re written this as it turned into a khaki rant(quite surprised myself actually.didn't realise I still had that nerve.)
All I'll say is its over balanced and just does nothing to reduce your silhouette.Otherwise I run the risk of a got the t shirt rant.