Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:28:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690699
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1009
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Plast Craft Old West ?  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
    • Vampifan's World of the Undead
Re: Plast Craft Old West ?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 03:23:18 PM »
4Ground stuff is worth more then every penny IMHO!  ;)

And the satisfaction of a well set games table with nice minis and terrain is just PRICELESS!  :-*

Amen to that! Yes, the 4Ground stuff is expensive but, bear in mind, you are paying for exceptional quality and a pre-painted product. For me, that is worth the extra cost.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 04:21:46 PM »
I think it all comes down to your budget, I would like 4ground buildings if I could afford them but looking at what you get here, even though it's cheap is not very good value.
It seems to me that the work gnomehome has had to put into making it something special would just as easily been done with a carcass of foam board for about £1:00, the only tricky bit is the veranda and you could make that simpler. Unless these kits are particularly sturdy for this sort of building I would be inclined to look elsewhere.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 04:55:25 PM »
It looks good to me, although the amount of work needed to finish them is insane.  The finished job is pretty much scratchbuilt!

Offline Night Owl

• Student
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 05:45:57 PM »
Seems everyone is comparing apples and oranges here. To the OP: no, the Plast Craft items I received a couple of weeks ago are not textured.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 01:28:00 PM »
I think it all comes down to your budget, I would like 4ground buildings if I could afford them but looking at what you get here, even though it's cheap is not very good value.
It seems to me that the work gnomehome has had to put into making it something special would just as easily been done with a carcass of foam board for about £1:00, the only tricky bit is the veranda and you could make that simpler. Unless these kits are particularly sturdy for this sort of building I would be inclined to look elsewhere.
Time is also an important factor for me. Putting together the kit and 'pimping' it up took less than 2 hours (painting not included) - the basic build itself less than 15 minutes. I cannot work that fast and cleanly in foamboard.

4Ground buildings are huge compared to these kits. I for one am not cray about 4ground (or other MDF) buildings, but as the say  - de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 05:12:09 PM »
de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.

I guess we could all agree with that. :)

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 01:33:02 AM »
I have no experience with either, I build my own.
But the Plast Craft ones look great for a base to build from. I will have to look at them further.

The 4 Ground ones I just looked up, and I'm very unimpressed.  I've seen much nicer paper buildings, and for far less.
- Scott

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 06:46:39 AM »
I liked them for what they are 4ground are nice but expensive you can get a bunch for the price of 1, 4ground
https://bandit86.blogspot.com/search/label/Old%20West%20%28Hellish%20Wells%29
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 08:25:56 AM »
TTCombat is in my opinion the best compromise price vs quality. They have an large range of MDF buildings from 5£ to 20£ (for the biggest one) that allow you to start a nice town for a reduce amount of money.

Their "starter kit" comes for 20£ include 4 buildings and gallows

https://ttcombat.com/collections/wild-west/products/town-buildings-gallows

Some buildings even come with interiors elements

Offline Welsh

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 11:40:33 AM »
As people have stated, at the end of the day its down to choice and budget.

Personally I love the 4Ground buildings, when you compare the quality and what the finished product looks like there is no comparison.

I'm afraid the TT buildings look very bare and some of the stuff looks as if it designed for children.

Just my opinion guys  ;) ;)
South Wight Wargamers

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 01:56:19 PM »
There is a massive sliding scale of Old West buildings.

Nothing pre-made will ever have the charm of a beautifully done hand-built piece of terrain.  Most people aren't capable of doing a beautiful handbuilt piece of terrain (or have not the time).  The MDF buildings range from very very cheap to very very expensive and you generally get what you pay for.  While my table is mostly 4Ground, I buy them smartly (on sale with free shipping, etc.). I also use them because I am in the business of occasionally promoting my Old West game.

There are heaps of middle-ground MDF which will look just fine.  The benefit is that they're very easy to paint and assemble.  The original Sarissa buildings I had could be assembled in about 2 minutes a piece.  Something which can't be said about custom hand-built stuff (I've been an entire Mordheim table out of foam and coffee stirrers...it's not a fast process).

The plastcraft stuff - it seems useful to me if the price is right and you want to get a "basic" shape cut out for you.  Cutting accurate posterboard is annoying at the best of times.  I don't know how pricey they are, however.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 04:25:28 PM »
I've gone almost 100% 4Ground for Zenda.  I have way more money than time (and talent) to be able to build out a western town by scratch.  I've looked at a few other companies buildings, but the pre-paint really sells it for me.  The less time I spend on painting buildings, the more time I can spend painting gangs.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 04:40:41 PM »
I have Hovels, Perry Bros.  and some scratchbuilt adobes.  The plasticraft stuff would probably make an excellent shell to build on.  I do love the resin pieces but only have one due to the price.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 11:34:56 PM »
I've gone almost 100% 4Ground for Zenda.  I have way more money than time (and talent) to be able to build out a western town by scratch.  I've looked at a few other companies buildings, but the pre-paint really sells it for me.  The less time I spend on painting buildings, the more time I can spend painting gangs.

Well said!

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 03:52:08 AM »
Went by the LGS yesterday and they happened to have a table set up with Plast Craft Old West buildings. Whoever worked on them did a fair job and it made me reconsider the line.

I already have some 4ground Old West buildings and they are great, especially if you want to use the interiors in gaming. I have many 4ground products, everything from feudal Japanese stuff to the Chicago Way shotgun shacks. Even have some Gothic City stuff (that line actually doesn't have interiors as far as I know) on order at the moment. So fair play to 4ground and all that.

Back to Plast Craft: have been getting into Malifaux and I'm not interested in the branded Plast Craft offerings, especially the stuff that comes with printed surfaces. I also don't think the 4ground buildings do justice to the weirdness (should that be Wyrdness?) of the setting. But I got to thinking, I could probably use the Plast Craft Old West line to make up some much more creepy looking terrain suitable for Malifaux.

Thanks to Miniature Market, I picked up all six buildings for under 5USD each. That's a pittance, even for an experiment. I will post my results once I have some time to dig in over the holidays.