Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:48:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685059
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Palaeo Diet – Game 7 Dances with Wolves 31st Mar new Game  (Read 11377 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Palaeo Diet – Game 7 Dances with Wolves 31st Mar new Game
« on: December 06, 2017, 08:49:23 PM »
Palaeo Diet – Game 1 – The Hunt

The Shell Clan a small Neolithic band of Hunter/Gatherers need to go hunting. The sea shore was providing slim pickins, shell fish are not very filling, and meat was called for.

This is my 1st game using the rules. I have read some of Nic’s game reports and it seemed to me that the rules and concept of the game should provide the sort of fun and slightly chaotic games that I like.
I am posting this here because I don’t have the necessary mammals for it to qualify as historical enough for the Age of Myths Gods and Empires which is where I would have liked to post it because to my mind it seems to fit into that category.

The Shell Clan is watching the Food move slowly westwards, they have been driving them for three new suns across a desolate landscape and the Food is slowly getting weaker. On this new day the sun will rise and the Clan will make their move.
Their only hope of survival in this savage land is to use their one big advantage over the wild things roaming the plains and that is their brains, and so they had a plan.

The females of the clan were adept with a sling and had a good supply of rounded river stones. They would push the Food into the arms of the men, who were clumsy and stupid but strong and brave

Tohana and Kee’Ak the males would move around the beasts and hide, then the smart ones Ayah and Luana would drive the Food on to them and into the trap. I know it’s not a very clever plan but it could work.

Tohana and Kee’Ak are seen here circling around the Food.

While Ayah and Luana are driving it into the trap.

Kee’Ak has worked his way round in front of the Food and Ayah pelts the Beast with stones from her sling and it starts to lumber forward towards Kee’Ak. I love it when a plan comes together.

The Food comes within range and Kee’Ak throws his spear – and MISSES. Oh bugger that thing has big horns.

In the background you can see the Beast that Kee’Ak missed didn’t gore him but is lumbering away from him and towards Ayha.
In the foreground Luana has pelted her rump steak with stones and wounded it, causing it to run from her.

The Beast is getting close to Ayah, she slung stones at it and so it turns round and moves back to Kee’Ak. It must be getting dizzy right about now.

1st Rule of Hunting “Make your prey dizzy”

It doesn’t look as if anything has happened here but Kee’Ak has charged forward, but failed an activation, the Beast has attacked him, it’s horns missing vital organs by a fingers thickness. The beast backs away and Kee’Ak attacks again, the beast roars at him and Kee’Ak retreats away from the ferocious sound and they both end up where they started.

2nd Rule of Hunting “Stick your prey with the sharp pointy thing before it sticks you”

Luana drives her beast towards Tohana, well this was the plan.

3rd rule of hunting “Always follow the plan”

It charges forwards and attacks him but causes no damage, he responds with a wicked blow from his trusty stone axe and gives it a wound. The Beast moves back and Tohana has run out of activations and lets it go.

Luana tries to attack the Beast but she fails an activation and it attacks her first, the fighting is fierce, first one strikes, then the other, back and forth. The beast finally sticks her with one of it’s horns and that nasty looking mould line causes a jagged wound.

In the other hunt Ayah has pelted the Beast with sling shot but this only makes it angry and it charges at her, fortunately it fails to move far enough to make contact.

4th Rule of Hunting “Always stay calm”

Rather than run away she pelts it, yet again missing and it attacks her but she dodges nimbly aside.

5th Rule of Hunting “Practice more with your slingshot”

Kee’Ak lopes towards the fight to help Ayah and the beast reacts by moving away.

Tohana rushes to aid Luana but fails an activation and the beast attacks Luana before he can get there. This is getting serious, the Beast is no longer behaving like Food as it gives her another wound and she drops to the floor.

6th Rule of Hunting “Don’t fight creatures bigger than yourself with a knife”

Tohana wounds the beast and in return the beast wounds him before backing away, narrowly missing Ayah in the process.
I keep the wound counters for the figures on their Stat Cards but I haven’t made any for the Dino’s so they are on the table, it takes 4 wounds to kill a Giant Grazer and so one more and he is down and the clan can feast.

Ayah fails an activation and the beast attacks her but doesn’t do any damage. She however sticks it with that little sharp pointy knife and causes the final wound that kills it.

7th Rule of Hunting “If you must use a knife use a sharp one”

In the background Kee’Ak moves in and attacks the other beast behind Ayah and wounds it. The fight continues until the beast moves away.

Tohana fails an activation over on the left side of the board and so the beast attacks Kee’Ak wounding him, then Ayah charges into the fight but the beast backs away, she pelts it and it changes it’s tiny mind again and attacks her causing a wound. Kee’Ak is back in the fight and fails his attack but the beast backs up and they decide to let it go. They both have a wound and another could prove fatal.

8th Rule of Hunting “Don’t play with your food”

The game scenario calls for the clan to gather 4 food units and one of these Giant Grazers is worth 4 units so a win but at a cost, all the clan are wounded and Luana has 2 wounds which could prove fatal.

Final Rule of Hunting “Only kill what you can eat”

Or should that be “You only eat what you can kill”.

This was intended to be a trial game just to test the rules but I enjoyed it so much that I have decided to run the Shell clan in the rules based campaign, trying each of the scenarios and see how they go on.

So to round up, I did not have a Clan leader and had not given anyone a trait before the game but the campaign rules provide a recovery chart and an advancement system.

Luana had 2 wounds but a good roll on the after game chart means she survived and is able to take part in the next hunt although is lame from the leg wound and can not move fast.

Tohana only had a little scratch and recovers quickly with no ill effects.

Kee’Ak’s wound was more serious and if he had had any traits he would have lost them, but he is OK for the next hunt.

Ayah’s wound was also a little more serious than was first thought and she also is going to be lame and slow in the next hunt.

Tohana was the only one to recover without a penalty and so he gets the man of the match award and gains a trait and becomes Alert. A useful trait for a hunter on the edge of survival.

The game lasted about 2 hours, I had spent some time creating a reference sheet and pretty much have everything on 2 sides of A4.

I found the rules worked well, they are not too long and I had 2 reads through before the game and obviously referred to them but apart from a few things they are clear and easy to understand.
I have since played another 3 games and enjoyed them all.

If you are still here - Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:29:04 PM by Vagabond »

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
    • Vampifan's World of the Undead
Re: Palaeo Diet – Game 1 – The Hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »
Oh boy, I thoroughly enjoyed that. What a blast!  :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 11:06:08 PM »
Thanks for posting it!

I really enjoyed the report. 

Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 05:43:11 AM »
Great report and a really nice looking set-up. I really must paint some minis and give this a go!   :-*

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:15:49 AM »
Great game I enjoyed reading about it :D
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 09:53:04 PM »
Lovely write up, thanks!

Where are your dinos from?

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 03:38:21 PM »
Cheers guys, thanks for taking to time to let me know you enjoyed it, I have a couple of other games that I will probably post up.

Oh boy, I thoroughly enjoyed that. What a blast!  :D :D :D :D :D

Glad you liked it, you gave me so much inspiration when I got back into war gaming 5 years or so ago with your zombie adventures and game reports that it's nice to know you approve. :)

Mi Lord having seen your simians (I think it's OK to say that between friends ;)) I have received them and some Neanderthals for xmas. Need to sort out Mammoths, been checking poundland but no luck so far. :'( :'( may have to spring for the DeeZee ones, that'll put a hole in my budget.

Where are your dinos from?

Nic the Dinos were from Poundland a few years ago. 6 - hard plastic for £1:00 what's not to like, spray black and dry brush. I just need to find some mammoths now.

Nice set of rules you have written - the AI works well although it's a bit frustrating when the prey won't stand and fight like a man but just wanders off when it feels like it lol lol and then when you catch up with it - almost always it gets to strike you 1st.  :'(

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 08:27:17 PM »
Very nice all around- AAR, terrain and figs.

I just picked up these rules and will be trying them out with my mammoth hunt stuff.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »
Don't think you can avoid my attention by hiding away on the Other Adventures board :D

Much more interesting than I thought this would be  - obviously down to your AAR. Passing over the casual sexism at the beginning and the appalling treatment of animals, I have to say, a very enjoyable read.

Isn't there a toyshop in Darkest Derbyshire which sells toy elephants you could make into mammoths?

Oh, and another rule of hunting is "don't take a knife to a tusk fight".

Doug

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 01:08:15 AM »
Very nice all around- AAR, terrain and figs.

I just picked up these rules and will be trying them out with my mammoth hunt stuff.

Don't forget to post your thoughts and game report. I would certainly like to read it. I'm impressed you already have a mammoth hunt set up.

Passing over the casual sexism at the beginning and the appalling treatment of animals, I have to say, a very enjoyable read.

Isn't there a toyshop in Darkest Derbyshire which sells toy elephants you could make into mammoths?

Oh, and another rule of hunting is "don't take a knife to a tusk fight".

Doug

I quite like a bit of casual sexism especially when it's aimed at my own sex :D  
No animals were harmed in the making of this movie,  hum - no mammals I mean!!!

I don't think we do toyshops anymore up here :'( :'(

Too true about a knife and a tusk fight, these girls meant to let the men do the fighting while they slung stones, Nics rules mean things don't quite work out as you expect. o_o

Shouldn't you be working on your game report rather than enjoying yourself on the forum. :D ;) ;D

Thanks for the nice comments as well :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:11:29 AM by Vagabond »

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »

I quite like a bit of casual sexism especially when it's aimed at my own sex :D

Your own sex is not something we need to know more about.... :o

Shouldn't you be working on your game report rather than enjoying yourself on the forum. :D ;) ;D

I would, but no-one's interested :'( :'( :'(

Doug

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 01:05:28 AM »
I am posting this here because I don’t have the necessary mammals for it to qualify as historical enough for the Age of Myths Gods and Empires which is where I would have liked to post it because to my mind it seems to fit into that category.

PRICELESS!!!  lol lol lol lol lol

BTW: great scenery, minis and AAR as usual, Vagabond!

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
Re: Palaeo Diet – Game 2 – The Predator
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 05:49:23 PM »
Just thought I would post up my 2nd and 3rd games of Palaeo Diet and the ongoing story of the Shell Clan, both quite short but enjoyable encounters.

Palaeo Diet – Game 2 – The Predator

Following the successful hunt and recovery of all the hunters, even if 1 or 2 of them were slightly slower than they had been. The Shell Clan have decided to sacrifice a goat to whatever deity looks over them. Don’t worry they will eat it after the sacrifice. Waste not want not, although I don’t suppose that phrase had been coined then.

Here the Clan is gathered round prior to making the sacrifice, the sacrifice scene has been cut for the squeamish.

The 2 females are recovering from previous wounds and are both unable to run but can still move at a sedate walk.

There is a blood curdling roar of a Sabre Tooth Cat, obviously drawn by the smell of blood.

The Clan form a line with the 2 sling carrying females on the out side and the men in the centre in front of the goat.
They plan to draw the big Feline to them, hoping to wound and slow it down with sling stones before the men rush in and finish it off. Yet again they come up with a plan, and a slightly better one than last time.

The Clan fail a number of activations and the great beast advances in fits and starts. The A.I. system for animal control worked really well here. Sometimes it would advance quickly and sometimes it slowed, but always moved towards the clan.

At this point Ayah slung a stone at the big Cat and missed, she really does need to practice. It reacted with a loud roar.

You may think nothing has happened but when a creature roars all the hunters have to react and they all failed 1 die roll so stepped back 3” maintaining their respective positions to each other but leaving the goat unguarded in front.

It was a bit like the film when the Officer called for 1 volunteer to step forward and the whole platoon stepped back except the rookie who remains in place. ;)

On the far side Luana slings a stone at the beast misses but it retreats a little, unnerved by the attack.

Ayah then hits and wounds him and this causes him to flee away and now out of missile range. Go Shell Clan Go, they all start laughing and grinning as the tension leaves them and the big cat is defeated.

Oh no they didn’t think it was going to be that easy – did they.

He soon recovers and returns to the attack. Luana sends another sling shot his way and the big cat takes his 2nd wound, one more and he is done for.

His reaction to being hit is to charge forwards and attack Ayah, covering the last few yards quickly he inflicts a wound, but she is still on her feet. As she had already activated she does not fight back.

However Kee’Ak attacks the beast, although in moving into range the beast reacts and attacks him 1st it fails to do any damage. Tohana looks to be guarding the goat, I can’t remember why he didn’t attack as he was nearest.

With a massive spear thrust Kee’Ak causes the final wound and the beast dies providing a further 3 food units and a very fine pelt, maybe Ayah can wrap up warm she does look a bit chill to me.

A very successful episode in the on going saga of the Shell Clan.

The after game checks showed that:-

Ayah recovered from her wound but still has a gammy leg.

Luana has fully recovered and can skip and run with the best of them.

Kee’Ak who killed the beast becomes Alert.

Tohana did very little but still remains Alert.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
Re: Palaeo Diet – Now on Game 2 – The Predator
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 06:12:13 PM »
Palaeo Diet – Game 3 – The Interlopers

The climate was getting colder and the Shell Clan were moving slowly south towards the sun.

It was late in the day and they were searching for somewhere safe to stay the night when they came upon another group of upright bipeds, similar to themselves, but also quite different.
In game terms I treated the pygmies as pack predators so that the A.I. system would work.

The Shell Clan has adopted what was becoming their usual formation when facing danger, the females with the slings on the outside and the men with the brawn and better close quarters weapons in the centre. The one thing they seem to have learned from the 1st encounter with the Grazers is to stick together when faced with danger.

Luana fails an activation but the Pygmies remain calm, watching to see what these strangely coloured people will do. She lopes forward and this also elicits no aggressive response. She then did what most peoples do when faced with an unknown race or culture. She tried to kill it.
Her sling shot was deadly accurate and she caused 2 wounds on Agume, he promptly dropped down dead.

The little guys were obviously not expecting this and two of them took to their heels and ran away. One is made of sterner stuff and moves forward to attack Luana.

Zanga the brave has moved close to Luana but could not make contact and then when Ayah makes her move towards him he responds by also running away. Tohana and Kee’Ak move up along side the females.

A quick shot showing the poor Pygmies all in flight from these aggressive incomers.

The Pygmies have reacted to the hunters with Zanga going back onto the attack and you can see here he has been shot dead, again by the deadly Luana. To do this she rolls a 6 to hit and then a further 5 to hit again, causing 2 wounds which is a kill. Twice in 2 turns she has rolled a 6 followed by a 5, what a woman.

Tohana now runs forward and in a ferocious fight bashes the little fellows brains out with that dam big axe of his. He didn’t have it all his own way and took a blow to the head wounding him sorely.

The last man standing decides to leave before something nasty happens to him. Maybe he has friends nearby?

Another successful encounter for the Shell Clan

Ayah’s leg has now healed and she can move normally.

Tohana suffered a blow to the head this leaves him slightly deaf and he ceases to be alert.

Kee’Ak no change and is still Alert.

Luana with her accurate shooting gains a trait and with a good die roll becomes a Hunter.

They also gain 6 bulk of food. Although I’m not too sure of the ethics of this decision on my part. :o :o

If you are still here - thanks for reading

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Palaeo Diet – Now on Game 2 – The Predator
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 06:32:06 PM »
Another fun sounding couple of games, thanks for sharing.