Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:32:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Working on SMF 'online character creator' - feedback welcome  (Read 15877 times)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Re: Working on SMF 'online character creator' - feedback welcome
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2018, 12:51:46 PM »
Fergal, brilliant work! Wow!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Bob Hume

• Bookworm
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »
Excellent work. Really liked it. Suggestion - all of the filled in writing is in a faded grey color. I would prefer if it was as dark as the rest. Easier to read that way. Maybe a different font than the rest. Still fantastic job....
I will destroy your puny planet with my Alludium Pew 36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2018, 08:27:39 PM »
That works really well.  I haven't had a chance to dive into the rules yet but this certainly seems to make character creation a snap.

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2018, 03:54:30 AM »
Street Level doesn’t "print", it comes up with a server error.

So far, everything else is looking good! I am impressed!
- Scott

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2018, 03:10:36 PM »
Street Level doesn’t "print", it comes up with a server error.

I think I know what that is, I'll try and fix it tonight.

Thanks for the feedback!

So far, everything else is looking good! I am impressed!

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2018, 02:07:40 PM »
Good catch @DS615, I fixed it if you want to try your street level guy again. Thanks for letting me know.

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2018, 01:37:09 PM »
Good catch @DS615, I fixed it if you want to try your street level guy again. Thanks for letting me know.
Yup, works great now!

I notice the Sonic power doesn't add any Psych or Ranged Attack to the sheet.  Was this deliberate?

Again, the tool is awesome! I'm just reporting on odd things I find as requested, not criticizing it at all.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2018, 02:13:46 PM »
Yup, works great now!

I notice the Sonic power doesn't add any Psych or Ranged Attack to the sheet.  Was this deliberate?

Again, the tool is awesome! I'm just reporting on odd things I find as requested, not criticizing it at all.

Dude, this is EXACTLY the type of feedback that I have been wanting, keep it coming.

I misspelled psyche in the data, so it didn't find a match in the base dictionary to change.  Though it's fixed now, so give it a try!

I also noticed that I need to check out 'shrinking' above it, so I'll give that a look during my lunch.

EDIT: Fixed shrinking as well.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 07:38:54 PM by fergal »

Offline grendal

• Bookworm
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2018, 12:16:47 AM »
I am having some minor issues with the "Cache"...if I "start over" it will have the old stuff still on the character sheet. I also got "stuck" making a sorcerer...it kept wanting me to choose a second Archetype.

Aside from that I am really enjoying this.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2018, 12:23:54 AM »
I am having some minor issues with the "Cache"...if I "start over" it will have the old stuff still on the character sheet. I also got "stuck" making a sorcerer...it kept wanting me to choose a second Archetype.

Aside from that I am really enjoying this.

Hey Grendal, you HAVE to use the 'home' button at the bottom to start over.  If you do, then the old character will be nuked and you will start over completely.  Hitting that home page where you choose a name is the only way to start the character over, otherwise you will confuse the program.

Let me know if this works for you! 

Offline kimryoung

• Bookworm
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2018, 06:04:17 PM »
Fergal,

Don't forget to include Amphibious and Construct in ALL Archetypes since you can swap them out for any of your minor powers.

Also, I agree with previous post to do away with the "gray" font color. Very difficult to read.

Finally, have you considered a bypass for those of us that want to create characters outside the boundaries of the printed rules? Specifically the limits on available number of minor powers?

Have you considered your print out size for index card's?

Thanks for your great work!

Kim

Offline Bob Hume

• Bookworm
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2018, 09:17:34 PM »
Oh yeah, index cards. That's what I use now. If this printed to fit a 4 x 6 index card, that would be so great.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2018, 06:01:09 PM »
Fergal,

Don't forget to include Amphibious and Construct in ALL Archetypes since you can swap them out for any of your minor powers.

Good catch, I'll add them in this week.  Construct is going to be a pain in the ass as it has two options in it and that will require a bunch of work to make it happen :(

Also, I agree with previous post to do away with the "gray" font color. Very difficult to read.

Unfortunately the gray color will stay as I really, really prefer it to tell what is data and what are categories.  I might darken it up a bit though?

Finally, have you considered a bypass for those of us that want to create characters outside the boundaries of the printed rules? Specifically the limits on available number of minor powers?

I haven't really considered this at all to be honest.   The creator is really a test to see how well I can create something programmatically that has certain constraints and requirements and produce a useful product at the end.  Something like you suggest would mean a separate site with different parameters, so a whole other site really.

Have you considered your print out size for index card's?

Again, this isn't something I have considered as I wanted all of the notes and info available in one place.  Though this would be relatively easy to implement, everything would be the same until the end, then it's "Do you want a full printout or a 3x5 printout?"

Give different results based on the response.  If it didn't take too much fiddling with the image settings, I could be convinced.  How about if 10 people ask for it?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2018, 06:08:58 PM »

I haven't really considered this at all to be honest.   The creator is really a test to see how well I can create something programmatically that has certain constraints and requirements and produce a useful product at the end.  Something like you suggest would mean a separate site with different parameters, so a whole other site really.

It really shouldn't need to be another site.

Think about where your constraints currently are, then abstract this out, and allow it to be set by an input or configuration variable.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2018, 06:40:24 PM »
It really shouldn't need to be another site.

Think about where your constraints currently are, then abstract this out, and allow it to be set by an input or configuration variable.

For someone of higher skills, you are likely correct.  For my meager abilities, it's not a feature that would work on a reward:effort comparison.