Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:19:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Giant trees for Congo  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Peter

• Scientist
  • No place to run - no place to hide
Giant trees for Congo
« on: December 09, 2017, 09:58:14 AM »

[/img]

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Giant trees for Congo
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 10:42:57 AM »
Great looking giant trees!  :-*

one day I'll need to make a few as well.

Offline Forays

• Student
  • Mostly philhellene
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 11:43:12 AM »
Looking good. They make a realistic ensamble when combined with the smaller trees, adding a dimension to the composition.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 02:37:06 PM »
Nice.  Love that you made the whole tree.  Those cut off trees that have appeared here in the recent past just don't work for me - useful thought they might be.  I imagine it would be like playing in forest trimmed by a giant chainsaw.  Your trees properly placed on a game table will really enhance the effect without getting in the way of playing the game.  If you make more, add more texture to the trunk for variety.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 03:35:48 PM »
I agree- those look great. I wish you had posted this a few months ago before I built my jungle table  :D.

Offline MediumAl

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 04:08:15 PM »
Good to see someone else having a go at the jungle giants. Some different ideas here.

Agree with 15 about the cutoffs to some extent, but have some in my collection because I want some of the trees to have thick trunks and buttress roots, but haven't come up with a really good solution for a matching canopy. To feel right it would have to be of a matching size. That means a lot of work, which I don't mind too much, but presents challenges in storage and could make it tricky getting access to the playing area, which will generally be around the base. Even Dr Mathias, whose solution for texturing and buttressing is the best I have come across, wasn't entirely satisfied with his solution. His Arboreal Extravaganza thread is always worth a visit. http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=41545.0

Also remember someone commenting that our jungle solutions don't really look like real jungle - can't exactly remember which thread, or even if it was on LAF or not - and I think the point was that we use oversized aquarium foliage too much as opposed to small-leaved trees which are probably the dominant vegetation in reality. For me the challenge is getting more of these modelled in the mid- and lower-jungle levels. Having said that, the palms in your pics look good and I think if I were to rework mine I might have a few more of these in there.

Al

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 04:46:28 PM »
Also remember someone commenting that our jungle solutions don't really look like real jungle - can't exactly remember which thread, or even if it was on LAF or not - and I think the point was that we use oversized aquarium foliage too much as opposed to small-leaved trees which are probably the dominant vegetation in reality. For me the challenge is getting more of these modelled in the mid- and lower-jungle levels. Having said that, the palms in your pics look good and I think if I were to rework mine I might have a few more of these in there.

Al
l agree- that is my problem with my jungle terrain. Although the aquarium plants have the right shape they are too big.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 07:55:10 PM »
Impressive, instructive and inspirational! Thanks for sharing!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
Now that;s what they are supposed to look like ..great job.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 09:13:34 PM »
Indeed. These trees look very good and realy bring the layered structure of a jungle to life. The aqua deco plants generaly do have leaves that are to big but i am not bothered about to much. I decided that i want to go for a 'jungle - feel' even if it is not very realistic. As long as it re-creates the sort of divers greenery that you expect in a jungle and closed enviroment that i want.