Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:55:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690485
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Lost Package - A Solo Pulp Alley AAR  (Read 870 times)

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
A Lost Package - A Solo Pulp Alley AAR
« on: December 09, 2017, 03:44:55 PM »
Thought I'd try taking the pictures for this on my phone, reasoning it might be less hassle to do in the midst of a game.

Unfortunately, the daylight in Britain this time of year barely seems to last six hours, so I played by artificial light and I don't think the pictures have come out as well as they could have done.

If you'd rather bigger images to read, the full sized-ones can be found on my blog

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A Lost Package - A Solo Pulp Alley AAR
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 03:56:32 PM »
Very cool, nicely done AAR.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »
Fantastic.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »
Great work!  I've always thought this was one of the more challenging scenarios in Perilous Island to pull off, but you've done an excellent job of realizing it on the table.  Doing PI solo is an attractive notion, and I'm looking forward to the next installment.
 :D

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 06:52:30 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Great work!  I've always thought this was one of the more challenging scenarios in Perilous Island to pull off, but you've done an excellent job of realizing it on the table.  Doing PI solo is an attractive notion, and I'm looking forward to the next installment.
 :D

I'll be honest, I wasn't all that enthralled by the end game, which was essentially a dice-rolling exercise with lots of combats happening in the same space and nobody really taking lasting damage. I suspect this had more to do with my set-up than the scenario itself, which did call for there being lots of terrain in the centre. I did pretty much the opposite of that. Lesson learned!

There is also the fact that it was a battle between a lot of sidekicks and one non-combat-orientated leader, so not many capable of dealing finishing blows in a one-on-one situation. Numbers were pretty even so nobody could really gang up on anybody else (except for Cedric, the only character with a decent enough Dodge to cancel out all attacks).

That said, I do like League of Legends as a perk for bots as it does ensure there are four characters who can hold their own in a fight but also (other than Eccles with his Lemuria ability) stand a chance of taking some plot points with their guaranteed perils.

I am enjoying Perilous Island very much, though a bit lacking in scenery for the later chapters. Will have to hunt around for some easy to make/buy pieces! I've just finished a TTCombat Deluxe Dungeon, which looks much more appropriate for Tomb of the Serpent... Tempted to do a fantasy league with that one.

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 07:42:34 PM »
I am enjoying Perilous Island very much, though a bit lacking in scenery for the later chapters. Will have to hunt around for some easy to make/buy pieces!

lol  My own staging of Perilous Island was subtitled "The Budget Cruise" because of all the ways I tried to economize on the scenery.  Do check out aquarium decorations -- a lot of it is quite cheap but looks good on the table.  Good source for tropical-looking plastic plants and resin statues & ruins.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 07:57:39 PM »
Nonsense - I've read your Perilous Island AARs, and that scenery was wonderful and varied, and wouldn't collapse if a mini were dropped upon it!

Irritatingly, all the pet shops I can get to easily are too dog-focused to bother devoting much shelf space to aquarium decor. I'm wary of buying online because scale is so difficult to judge - I'm loath to try things I can't see from lots and lots of angles...

I do trawl through the multitude of charity shops in hope that something might prove useful, but so far no luck.

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »
Loved it, the torch effect was the highlight for me pun intended  lol

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 05:52:45 PM »
We've very high production values ;)

Offline d phipps