Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:07:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689473
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 553
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ranges that Scale with Frostgrave minis?  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Ranges that Scale with Frostgrave minis?
« on: December 10, 2017, 08:51:33 AM »
As the title says, looking fr suggestions for fantasy (and possibly sci-fi) minis that scale well with frostgrave and especially frostgrave GA minis need them for an idea I have had rolling around in my head for some time...

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
Re: Ranges that Scale with Frostgrave minis?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 12:55:14 PM »
Plastic fireforge sergeants, mongols and templars are ok, though templar bodies with chainmail look slim in comparison -frostgrave soldiers wear multiple layers of clothing while frostgrave cultists and ghost archipelago crewmen wear loose clothing. Heads are ok sizewise, fireforge weapons are a bit on the small side (two handed sword especially).

Games workshop brettonians and imperial archers have some fitting parts, but weapons, equipement, heads and hands are generally bigger. There is noticebale difference between frostgrave soldier head in kettle hat and bretonnian one for example.
Games workshop marauders are slightly bigger than imperials and brettonians, but GW heads from all of those kits look ok on frostgrave soldiers and cultists bodies.

Gripping beast arabs are close to fireforge.

I didn't mixed victrix plastics with frostgrave parts, but I think they will be ok.

Warlord games early imperial roman legionnaires and plastic hoplites are smaller than frostgrave minis.

Warlord games Zulus seems ok, same as Perry sudanese mahdists.

Warlord games woodland indians are true scale and are a little taller and slimmer, weapons are much thinner and usually won't suit anyway (mostly muskets), they won't mix well (maybe just for headswap).

With all my love for plastics I've never acquired any of the perry's medieval kits so I can't help here. I also don't know how would those listed kits would match frostgrave barbarians and gnolls.

Caution- I only wrote about size of the parts, bear in mind that heads and hands in all those kits have different joints to the body, so almost everytime with mixing those kits You'll need to make some additional cutting, filing and sculpting (some heads are already sculpted with neck, some kits have neck on the bodies etc).

I cannot help with metals, my limited experience with them is that:
-Reaper metals are sadly noticeably larger than frostgrave plastics and metals, I have two wizards from Reaper and they are larger than armoured knights.

-Otherwolrd minis look ok next to ghost archipelago crewman.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 12:58:32 PM by kuba »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 01:25:11 PM »
I'd suggest looking through captain bloods game of thrones thread , I think he's used every plastic kit in ever possible combination .
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »
Westfalia Fantasy works well next to Frostgrave, as does Red Box games. Slight differences in bulk, but close enough in size.

Games Workship LotR/Hobbit are also generally pretty close.

And Bad Squiddo's ranges of course.

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »

Games Workship LotR/Hobbit are also generally pretty close.

I always thought that these were significantly smaller. The plastics always seemed way smaller than the GW Warhammer Fantasy line. I thought they were more 25mm than a 28mm.

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 03:50:33 PM »
I'm not sure but probably Lotr scale changed over time and newest miniatures aren't as small as the earlier releases. Can't compare them as I don't have any human lotr models

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 04:06:34 PM »
I'm not sure but probably Lotr scale changed over time and newest miniatures aren't as small as the earlier releases. Can't compare them as I don't have any human lotr models

I have some of the recent hobbit minis. The  plastic dwarves from the sarter box are way too big but everything else in the range sticks to the fine scale, realistic proportions of the original LOTR release.
I got some frostgrave armoured skeletons to use as barrow wights for LOTR games and they are HUGE compared to every GW LOTR figure i put next to them.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »
All good stuff, I should clarify that currently i'm more looking at frostgrave: GA minis, I want to do a ''historically themed'' warband but dont want it sticking out as being obviously too big/too small.

My inclination is an Arab-themed band or possibly conquistador.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 07:31:17 PM »
How would foundry DA arabs mix with gripping beast plastics?

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 07:56:06 PM »
Perry WOTR are an insanely good fit

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »
do you mean 'heroic' fantasy scale?
you looking for individual minis or warbands?

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »
I would say that frostgrave stuff is probably heroic scale, looking for individual minis that fit in with frostgrave stuff(which I already have).

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »
All good stuff, I should clarify that currently i'm more looking at frostgrave: GA minis, I want to do a ''historically themed'' warband but dont want it sticking out as being obviously too big/too small.

My inclination is an Arab-themed band or possibly conquistador.

the foundry swashbuckler etc figs fit fairly well - better than reaper for example (which are noticeably larger in the main).

... but it's complicated by the official metal GA figs being larger than the official plastics (which have great character, but redefine 'squatness' to my eye). for my basing system, I've put the plastic crewmen on a piece of plasticard shaped to their bases to boost their height a wee bit.

I'll try and post a comparison pic in my thread on the frostgrave board - I picked up Perry metals for example, which if you're being picky are a bit slim and 'fine' in proportions to match ... BUT does it matter on the tabletop? Not sure.