Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:47:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689769
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Road Warrior Car Options for 28mm  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Road Warrior Car Options for 28mm
« on: December 11, 2017, 03:35:09 PM »
I know the easy answer: that it's a fool's errand to do anything but 20mm 1/72 for a Road Warrior/Mad Max/Fury Road project - the plethora of cheap, easily found Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars should be all the evidence one needs, they take up less table space, and so on and so on. There even exists an Oscar Meyer Wiener mobile in the scale, which really should clinch it.

The trouble is that I just prefer the larger size. So I'd be curious to hear what others have done with their 28mm post-apocalyptic collections as regards cars (and trucks). The diecast options for 1/56 are pretty negligible, so that's not really an option. There are masses of product for 1/43 - but do they look too big? I'm not too picky in this area, really not a car guy at all, but I don't want them to look absurd.

The excellent Stan Johansen range includes an interceptor and two pick-ups, but that isn't much: http://www.stanjohansenminiatures.com/28mm%20Road%20Warriors.htm

Maybe I should do a "chase" collection in 20mm and a skirmish collection in 28mm? I'm in a quandary.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
Re: Road Warrior Car Options for 28mm
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 04:06:13 PM »
Try http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php

They have several kits and also sell bits for custom vehicles.

Chris
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »
1/43 are technically too big but usually with minis the chunky proportions and bases offset the issue slightly. Pound shops in the UK quite often have vehicles which are passable for the scale, I'm sure the dollar stores and whatnot will have similar. I usually take a 30mm and an old dark future 20mm mini out with me shopping for any quick scale checks. :P

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 06:52:49 PM »
I'm with you on this one, Arundel. I KNOW that 20mm/1:64 makes more sense for Car Wars-type gaming, but I prefer 28/30mm. I have stockpiled quite a few cars and trucks, and here's what I've found.
1:50 is a good scale to look for. It's about right for 28/30mm, and there's quite a variety when it comes to vehicles. Hot Wheels did a range called G-Machines, all nominally 1:50 in scale, and they are almost all muscle cars, which is perfect for Car Wars-type games. A lot of Matchbox Superkings stuff seems to be about 1:50, and they have some cool "concept" type vehicles, and also big trucks (Mack trucks, rather than pick-ups). More modern cars in the same scale can be found in some European ranges - Solido, I think is one, and Maisto. It's worth doing some eBay searches, but be prepared to spend some time trawling through pages of results! Other than that, I've found quite a few cars in the various Dollar Stores that are supposed to be 1:43, but are smaller, really much closer to 1:50. I also found, a couple of years ago, a range of pick-up trucks in about the right scale whose selling point was that they could be disassembled in order to add larger wheels and extended fenders to make them into stunt trucks, and so on. I can't remember what the range is called, but I'll check in my "big box of cars" and let you know. Being able to disassemble them makes it easier to convert them and paint them, of course!
You probably already know it, but the Reaper Chronoscope range has some great miniatures for pedestrians for this sort of project, plus they have excellent shipping containers and dumpsters in hard styrene that are perfect for gaming.
I know that I'm forgetting a couple of things, so I'll return to this thread as they occur to me.
Hope this helps, and happy gaming!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »
Have you seen this one?
https://www.facebook.com/wordforgegames/posts/1533409293380852

Word Forge Games did a 28mm version which they sold at recent conventions. Should be in their shop somewhere in the near future.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »
Hi Arundel - I was just about to say pretty much the same as Hawkeye - I'll get some photos taken and post a few suggestions
Cheers
GDonk

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 07:26:57 PM »
If you can hold on for a few months, I’ll have a series of modular 1/50 PA vehicles that you can pimp with a range of parts that will align with the 7TV: Apocalypse rules that are in the works.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 08:54:10 PM »
as usual no hi-jack intended, but that's definitely got my attention.  Best, GDonk

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 11:50:37 PM »
Hawkeye, thank you kindly for the excellent, detailed post. That's exactly the sort of information I was looking for! It's also fun to hear from someone following the same path.

Malebolgia (you like your Dante, I see  :)), that's a great looking interceptor-style car. Excellent lead!

GDonk, I'd love to see some photos if it's not too much trouble.

Uti, like Donk, you've got my attention there. Please post when there are any new developments. Modular vehicles are a great idea!

Thanks again to all of you!

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 12:12:35 AM »
More for eye candy than anything else, there is some good inspiration at this site:

https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2012/01/08/28mm-on-cheap-post-apocalyptic-vehicles/

http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2012/05/atomic-highway-little-wars-battle.html

Many of their cars look like they're 1/43 unless I'm mistaken. Interesting...

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »
If you can hold on for a few months, I’ll have a series of modular 1/50 PA vehicles that you can pimp with a range of parts that will align with the 7TV: Apocalypse rules that are in the works.
Tell us more!

Hopefully they will be base vehicles you can stick stuff on, not like the SWAT van from "A" certain manufacturer which starts off with jerry cans stuck on the windows.

Pretty please can they be usable for non road war games.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »
Back on topic, there as a number of examples here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=101291.0

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 01:39:21 PM »
Hmmm, and here I thought I'd already done a search on LAF. Clearly it wasn't a very good one...  ::) That's an extremely helpful link, Ultra - can't thank you enough!!!

Offline Durutti

• Scientist
    • view from the duck pond
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 06:24:46 PM »
Hot Wheels G Machines are excellent, if you can get hold of them...there was a couple of hot wheels series in 1/50th scale, including some neat VWs. also, Corgi do 1/50th scale trucks, as do quite a few other companies.. its worth searching for Code 3 models, as these bits are usually 1/50th scale, and they get used for converting the Corgi models
1/48th scale is another one to go for, and there are some suitable military vehicle kits that can be used for conversions, along with replacement wheel sets etc......search for Renwal kits, as they did a good range of car models in the scale, some of which are easily converted into Fury Road type vehicles .
whenever you go shopping for models, take a figure with you,its a great way to see if the models scale out ok.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 12:03:31 AM »
SIKU do 1/55 scale vehicles.
If in the States, hitting the car aisle in Walmart is always a good place to hit.
They have like the Aventure ????? line. Forget the whole name.

Grimm