Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:17:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Olsson's Fantasy Miniatures  (Read 17293 times)

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
Olsson's Fantasy Miniatures
« on: December 12, 2017, 11:43:18 AM »
So figure I'll toss up some of my less than spectacular works here. I currently do not play anything actively so will just be whatever I fancy painting at the time.

So to start with, a Mordheim warband I've made currently just lacking the Captain.

Jacquot and Poton served as men-at-arms in the host gathered by a Brettonian Count up into the Grey Mountains to follow a band of greenskins who had been pillaging through the countryside. It was pure luck that saw them survive together with a score of other peasants when the charge of the knights failed. The years that followed have been harsh, but as they've travelled across the Empire selling their skill at arms, such as it is, a new world has opened up for them. Despite the horrors that lurk across the land they view this new existence as one of freedom and beyond any other in the band have a tendency towards debauchery and spending their pay much too quick.

Karl and Willhelm are cousins from the same village outside of Kemperbad. Growing up together they were always rough boys, tall and strong for their age and beyond anything else competitive. There was no chore or task that couldn't be turned into a game of winners and losers, and it was this escelation of daring boasts which eventually lead both of them to leave their home newly signed to a mercenary company. That was some years ago now, and that company is since long buried somewhere across the border to Sylvania. Serving as the right and left hand of Captain Erwing, and to this day not an hour passes without one seeking to outdo the other.

Father and son, Albert and Oskar were once in the service of Count Hertwig of Ostermark. With the monicker of Huntmaster, Albert found an easy living at the summer estate of the good count. Only demanded to bring in game during the months when his lord was present. Brought up as a hunter it was not too hard a task, and a calling to which he brought up his son Oskar. An existance which was brought to a sudden end when Oskar was caught in bed with a lady of fine lineage during a summer visit and the boy and father both were chased away at the tip of swords. They spent a few years on the road, and at a drunken hour they may even admit to a few instances of banditry before they fell in with Captain Erwing. Albert misses the comforts of old while Oskar has taken a liking to the new free life.

Werner and Max were two urchins the band came across in the ruins of Mordheim, one among dozens they had to fend off while walking the streets which the people deemed "safe" in that terrible hive. It was to the surprise of all that Erwing fed the boys and took them in, and even more when he asked Albert to show them how to use a bow. Ratty and thin creatures Erwing uses them to deliver word to other bands across the city, and to climb down those tight tunnels a proper man could never reach. So far Werner's only lost three toes to the ratmen.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Olsson's Fantasy Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 11:44:20 AM »
Tjenare, Olsson! Var har du hittat ett gäng att spela Mordheim med?

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 06:52:19 PM »
Tjenare, Olsson! Var har du hittat ett gäng att spela Mordheim med?

Tjenare! Är nere i Jönköping och jag spelar knappt, har några vänner jag har fått att testa med mig.

Captain Erwing Himmel is among the mercenary circles famous for having served in Wolfram's Guard as a Greatsword beneath the Count of Ostermark prior to the fall of Mordheim. His reasons for leaving the Count's service are unknown, but the popular story that he's simply an oppertunist that deserted to seek the riches promised in the damned city after its destruction. A military man to the bone it did not take long for him to join one of the many armed gangs going around the city, and even less before he kicked the drunk who called himself their captain to the curb.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 07:33:40 PM »
Been playing around with the idea of making two Age of Sigmar based warbands. In essence one would be a band of aelf wanderers who are sworn to a sacred grove hidden away at the peak of a snow-tipped mountain in Ghur, the realm of beasts and monsters. There lies their god, a slumbering deity over which they stand sentry and are sworn to serve. But below on the slope of the mountain savage tribes of men carve out their living amidst the snow, clad in furs and wielding wicked steel they are lead by their shamans, whose visions speaks of the god of the mountain, The Lightning Lord, the Thunder Drake who awaits their arrival and shall bless them, to master this harsh mountain and lord over their enemies.

In essence the thought is to make one force of wood elves/wanderers and another of chaos marauders who are fighting on the snowy slopes trying to awaken and protect their respective deity while also carving out a life in the harsh realm of Ghur.

So far I've started kitbashing together a count-as Waystrider who will lead the aelfs. The end result is a bit roguh, and frail as hell but I am largely happy with it having never done much of a conversation before.

Mostly a mix of the Glade Guard and Wild Riders/Sisters of the Thorn kits.

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 10:46:03 PM »
The old mercanies have aged well imo. Still have my human warband in the cupboard. I like the names and the characters. Mordheim is such a good setting for creating personalised blokies.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 11:07:54 PM »
Yeah, when they did the last roder of Free Company I made sure to buy 2 boxes, they are good sets.

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »
Har du prövat GoB i kulturhuset/Tändsticksområdet? Där kan det finnas folk som spelar Mordheim eller är intresserade.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 08:31:10 PM »
Har varit på GoB några gånger genom åren.

Did a basic test miniature for the elves to find a good colorscheme for the mountain/winter elves. Picking the colours has never been my strong suit, but this is it so far with just the base colors on.

Finding it a bit too warm with the leather maybe, contemplated putting in some actual white in there. Either switching the cloak to white, or switch the brown to green and fill in the green with white? Of course there is always the argument that some contrast is good. Might also switch the bronze out to silver.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 05:18:58 PM »

My attempts at the elves continue, slapped together another one even as I continue to try and figure out a good colour scheme. Also made another version of the Champion Willhelm in the Mordheim Company for when he might get himself some heavy armour which turned out alright and to cleanse my palette I slapped some paint on a Chaos Warrior and a skeleton and tried out the Citadel basing texture paints which I am not overly thrilled about, although the painting itself went alright.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 06:42:47 PM »

Started working a bit on a second Mordheim warband as my friend who I am planning on playing with is also going Mercenary. Looking at my bitzbox I figured Possessed to be one of the more fun, chaos in Warhammer always lends itself well to conversions and all manner of odd things. Tossed together three miniatures today as I found the time to hobby some with a friend, and broke out the greenstuff for the first time ever to give it a go. Turned out a bit messy and basic, luckily mutants needn't always look so clean and proportional.

So started with this one, took a zombie head and filed off the worst of the open wound in the forehead bit. Painted up as a living person I am hoping it will be able to pass as a crazed filthy madman rather than the walking dead. Mostly a mix between the Games Workshop Free Company and Zombies kit. Hoping to make a few more but not entierly sure where to look for some more variations in bodies for the common man sort of infantry.

And what would a Possessed warband be without the titular possessed? Dug out some old ork pieces I had around as I feel those lend themselves well to a brute body that needs to support some quite strange things. Similary the bovine skull at the top of the Ork banner I had I felt could look quite as a literal head, added that on there with a bunch of greenstuff followed by a claw arm from the Possessed back from Warhammer 40.000. The spikes at the back I filed down from the Blood Throne kit and tries to add on with greenstuff to look like unnatural growths before I gave a go at making a basic tentacle, which after the second one also had one I tried to make different by adding on a spike at the end.

The second one is simpler, with the same orc body base and a leftover Daemon Prince head and a Bloodletter arm together with another tentacle. Might be this one needs some more stuff to make it look busy and distract from the orkyness of it. The greenstuff ended up far from perfect but for now I feel it serves its purpose. Was quite fun to try and do some more crazy miniatures.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:37:51 AM »
The painting continues, me and a friend are still working at getting enough stuff to actually play Mordheim although he keeps being behind me with the putting colours on miniatures part. It was pointed out to me that my two henchmen didn't have identical equipment so needed another fellow with a sword. And the next issue was that the Brettonia Men-At-Arms box only comes with one sword as they're all using halberds as a base. A small conversion followed of fixing a Free Company arm to fit into the Man-At-Arms socket.

Keeping a pretty decent pace of painting so far into 2018.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 06:26:14 PM »
Put some paint on the wood elf above, still trying to figure out a good paintscheme for the snow elf idea I have. The brown still seems a bit warm, although I tried mixing gray into what I had.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:13:04 PM by Olsson »

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 08:07:32 PM »
Nice to see Mordheim still inspiring people! It's a good game setting, and your minis fit perfectly.

I think the WElf paint scheme works as a base. You could then go little by little towards lighter hues by carefully layering. I can see one or two layers/highlights on some of your Mercenaries, and that's The way to go. Slower wok but looking nicer.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 08:08:38 PM »
Cool stuff! I hope you enjoy Jönköping!

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 08:23:45 PM »
I am trying to get better at the highlighting, yeah. Just a pain to go back and forth, I actually tried to do some on the elf but I put on the wash after which seems to make a lot of it go away. Perhaps I ought to highligh post wash. Painted another elf today, did what I mentioned and made the loincloth match the gloves/boots which I think breaks the colours up better.

Base feels a bit bare, but gonna try and pick up some mordheim tuft grass to put on to add some dead grass to add to the wintery atmosphere.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:12:16 PM by Olsson »