Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:15:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689477
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Jail Break - AAR  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
The Jail Break - AAR
« on: December 13, 2017, 10:19:01 PM »
Western – The Jail Break

Bill Samuelson was being held in jail in the Marshall’s Office, he was to be transported to Yuma Prison in a few days time and his gang led by Frank MacAulay was determined to bust him out before that happened.

This was the result the last time they tried to rescue him =http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=98923.msg1226876#msg1226876 and you may well wonder why Dangerous Dave who was killed and Frank MacAulay who was shot and captured have made it here to effect a 2nd rescue attempt. Well so do I.

It’s probably because I only have a few figures, it may be because I made stat cards for them with their picture and name on and I am too lazy to rename them and print new, it may be because I didn’t have access to the laptop and couldn’t remember who got shot. Who knows, it’s only a game after all.

A small town in the American south west in the late 1800’s.

I wrote this a few months ago before I finished the buildings and so I suppose if I wasn't so slack I would have reposed the pictures with the new base board and the finished buildings, you can see how the buildings look now on this post http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=101266.msg1256609#msg1256609 page 5. At the moment the town is still un-named but that will be rectified as soon as I fix upon a layout I am happy with and I've finished the rest of the clutter I'm still working on.

On the far side of the street is the Blacksmith Jim Smith also runs the livery, the stage is parked outside and he is waiting for investment money from back east before he can build a decent sized livery, until then he makes do with what he has. The livery was to have been my 2nd building for the town but I got carried away refurbishing other old builds.

Whiskey Jack (with the sawn off) runs the Tail Feathers Saloon and Gaming Emporium. The first and only one of my new buildings and it's now finally finished and furnished. The drinks and glasses are all under the counter.
He has a new thunder box out back and just needs a door to make it respectable.
Rose the stage driver is by the door and JJ Tucker the Arizona Ranger has recovered from his wounds and is having a drink.

On the far side of the saloon is an old build that has had the flat roof reworked and repainted, the veranda roof raised with new upright posts and door/window surrounds added. Its almost done, I am trying to decide if I should re-do the roofs with Warbase shingles and I need to finish the edge of the boardwalk. This will either be the Wells Fargo/Post Office or the Land Claims/Assay Office.
Alice De Witt is either posting a letter or staking a claim.

Looking back down Main Street from the other side.

In the far distance are Bill Samuelsons men, up close is Texas Red trying to swop her worn out horse for a fresh mount and Jim Smith is looking very quizzical, what that old nag for my thorough bred stallion you must be joking, and don’t point that gun at me girly. He could be in trouble here!

In the distance is another refurbished building that will probably be the Gunsmiths, this one was completely refurbished, except the roof. It was a thin balsa structure, it’s had strengthening of 3mm foam board on the front, new windows and door, complete re-texturing of the walls, inside and out and with a fancy bit of wood on the top of the facia.

The building with the white windows will be the bank, and the one with the red windows is the Marshals office and jail.

Again a complete refurb of an old building, new roof, doors, windows, wall textures inside and out and a cell added. All the buildings on the south side of Main Street need furniture.

For those who know about these things, I have no grasp on the distinction between Sheriffs and Marshals. I thought that a Sheriff ran a town and was elected and that a Marshall worked for a county, territory, State or the US. As my town will be only a few buildings I was intending having a county/territory marshal based here rather than a Sheriff, is that a reasonable thing to do or will I get laughed at. Also what is the difference between a county and a territory?

The buildings all lack signs at this stage because part way through I had this brilliant idea that I could put magnets in the front wall of the buildings and a metal strip in the signs and so could change the town simply by changing the signs.

Here come Frank and the boys looking for trouble.

Over by the Gunsmiths is Shawnee Mary, no one knows why she is called Shawnee as she is not from the tribe, and no one knows why she wears that daft dress apart from the guys at Black Scorpion, or what she does with those big pistols, without holsters to put them in, but enough of my carping.
By the Jail is the Undertaker, a second rate bounty hunter with a theatrical name.

As the boys are making their way up Main Street, Nasty Nick decides he will take down Mary, this seemed like a reasonable thing to do during the game but for the life of me I can’t think why now.
He grabs her from behind, so gains an advantage for attacking enemy in the back. She promptly breaks his hold, turns round and decks him (South Yorkshire for "hits him very hard and he falls down"). He doesn’t get up.

"Sorry Miss" says Dangerous Dave. "Don’t know what’s got into him lately, he’s not been the same since he fell off his horse. We'll pick him up later, he shouldn’t cause you any more trouble".

As there are 4 of them she lets it ride.

Snake Eyed Pete takes up a position by the saloon covering the jail and the street as well.

Frank, Steve, and Dangerous Dave with the shotgun close with the Undertaker, he swings round in surprise and recognises them, sees $$$$ reward money and they all go for a shot. Sneaky Steve nearest us fires first, there is a loud ‘click’, either he forgot to load his pistol last night (too much to drink) or it’s a dud, either way a good job he is wearing brown pants.
Dave lets go with 1 barrel of his shotgun and the Undertaker needs one. An Undertaker that is.

Frank and Dave dive through the door with guns ready. Having heard the shotgun blast Sheriff English Bob is reaching for his gun as the outlaws enter - shouting "don’t do anything silly, we got you covered". He does something silly and goes to draw. Frank gets off the first shots but is flustered and misses both shots. Dave gets off the second shot and Bob goes down badly wounded, dropping his gun and going OOF (Out of Fight).

In the saloon Whiskey Jack and Rose realise that there is no profit to be had going out into the street when there is gunfire to be heard, but the Arizona Ranger JJ Tucker is not so smart, he goes outside and he and Pete see each other at the same time. JJ is the fastest and Pete drops with a head wound OOF.

Alice De Witt has posted her letter or filed her claim and exits the office, sees Sneaky Steve loading his gun and shoots him in the back. "Whose sneaky now" she mutters under her breath. Must be some history there!

Dave finds the cell key and lets Bill out, Bill picks up his guns from the coat rack and buckles them on. JJ rolls a bad brains test, does something daft. I decide he will run across the street having heard the shots and try and help Bob in the jail. He doesn’t know Bob is beyond help. As he runs over Frank looks out of the window and shoots him, he goes down.

Bill Samuelson decides he doesn’t give a damn about his men lying groaning in the street and nips out the back door of the jail, Frank is not happy about leaving the men but goes as well. Dangerous Dave doesn’t give a hoot and goes too, Alice and Mary don’t see them and probably are smart enough not to interfere any way.

Texas Red – you remember her - well she has spent all game trying to change Jims mind to no avail. Here she is still at it, the only good news for Jim is she didn’t lose her temper, he wouldn't like it if she did.

Well there seems to be quite a bit of activity on the Western Board at the moment so I thought I'd add to it. ;)

If you are still here – thanks for reading.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Jail Break - AAR
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:48:03 PM »
Great stuff! Who makes that man mountain of a Blacksmith?

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:23:59 PM »
That's a Black Scorpion figure (now sadly only available in resin)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 187
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 11:38:05 PM »

Vagabond: very nice table, minis and AAR, CONGRATULATIONS!  :-*

But... WTF is that shitty waterhole saloon without working girls dancers?!  :o

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
    • Vampifan's World of the Undead
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 09:21:45 AM »
What a hoot! A great batrep played on a most impressive board.  8)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 10:50:40 AM »
Nice report, V and there seems something familiar about that scenario.....hmmm; let me think..... :D

Splendid read and a treat for the eyes.

Doug

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »
Great stuff! Who makes that man mountain of a Blacksmith?

:-*

Harry - as Elbows said it is Black Scorpion, come as a set with 3 other civilians.

Vagabond: very nice table, minis and AAR, CONGRATULATIONS!  :-*

But... WTF is that shitty waterhole saloon without working girls dancers?!  :o

They sleep during the day and only work at night. ;) ;)

That and the fact that I haven't found any I like yet, any suggestions ;D ;D

What a hoot! A great batrep played on a most impressive board.  8)

Cheers Brian

Nice report, V and there seems something familiar about that scenario.....hmmm; let me think..... :D

Splendid read and a treat for the eyes.

Doug

Yes now you remind me that was the other reason for not posting, I didn't want you to have too much idea prior to the Mabel Street Mob Jailbreak/Bank Robbery/Well Fargo Robbery/Police Car Jacking game we had. This was just an embryonic idea. :D

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 11:39:38 AM »
They sleep during the day and only work at night. ;) ;)
That and the fact that I haven't found any I like yet, any suggestions ;D ;D

Sure!

From the Knuckeduster Gunfighter's Ball line:

And from their "standard 28mm" line:

And some of the girls next door (1:1 scale):

;)

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 02:37:24 PM »
Dino, can I order one of the girls next door you mentioned?  :D :D :D :D :D

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 04:58:27 PM »
Dino, can I order one of the girls next door you mentioned?  :D :D :D :D :D

Vampifan, I've already told you our humble beachfront bungaloo is always open for you, so you can come to visit us and choose personally a 1:1 model suitable for all your hobby needs!  :D This Summer Season is already open and delivering!  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi2qU4KRJC0

;)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:15:19 PM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 10:35:53 PM »
LOL! Thanks, buddy!  lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind