Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:47:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Zombie Plasticville project start  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
Zombie Plasticville project start
« on: December 17, 2017, 02:21:59 PM »
Ive purchased a large box of 0 scale Plasticville buildings on Ebay.  Im going to try to paint them up a bit and convert them for a Zombie miniatures game.  The box has many normal houses, (single cottages and bigger ranch homes), a fire station,garage,  news station, police station. Great for objectives- Garage- for gas or get away car,  new station for a helicopter or call for help, police station for guns.

Over 20 buildings.  I figure I'll be playing on a 3x3 or 4x4 table at most so will only need half.   Some are missing a few bits, but that shouldnt matter much, since its Post-Apoc and I can pick the best of the lot anyway. I'll probably get a game mat by FLG or Urbanmatz.
I have some balsa wood strips for boarding up windows and doors, and some hard canvas boards for bases. Im want to have the roofs removable, but Im not going to detail interiors.   
Lots of great pics Ive found by other people.

Probably for these games :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/687110463/turf-war-z-28mm-miniatures-and-rules

http://www.skirmishsangin.com/shop/skirmish-rager/

I'll include some pics as I go along.

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
Re: Zombie Plasticville project start
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 08:23:09 PM »
The sets I bought.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 01:53:01 AM »
Off to a good start.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 02:10:21 AM »
Nice pickup.
I have lots of Plasticville building,
even some painted, :D.
They are great for zombies.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 03:08:59 AM »
Nice pickup.
I have lots of Plasticville building,
even some painted, :D.
They are great for zombies.

Any tips on paint to use or such?  I have some wood bits to board them up.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 04:50:30 AM »
I generally just prime them and  use craft paints.  The Cape Cods are an especially useful generic house.

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 05:51:29 PM »
A couple of things you can do.

Sinewgrab uses priming and using dry brushing.
 His building look great.

I tend to use washes directing on the buildings.
Then I sometimes go back and drybrush.

Will try and get out and undig the boxes with the buildings in them.
That will be a major undertaking, lol, way too much stuff.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 05:47:39 AM »
Well, if you don't want to put them back, I can...store...them for you...

:D

As MArine0846 says, I usually prime them dark, heavy brush with one color, then drybrush with another.  I don';t tend to spend lots of time on terrain, because it draws attention away from the minis, but it has to be good enough to not detract from the game.  I have found over the years that Americana or Folkart paints work well for terrain - cheap, and not too light on the pigments.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 09:36:28 PM »
Dressing them up with third-party and scratch-built items works wonders:

http://lifeonjasoom.blogspot.com/2016/11/post-apoc-trailer-park.html

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 03:32:15 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and tips!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 04:41:20 AM »
I'm doing my whole post apoc desert town in Plasticville, K-Line (pretty much the twins of Plastiville) and a couple pieces released with the first Cars Movie (Flo's V8 Cafe and the Radiator Springs Curio Shop).  When I started doing buildings I decided I liked the buildings so much I might want to use them for something else so I didn't want to rough them up too much.  I compromise by giving them removable boarded up windows.  It is my normal practice to make windows solid by gluing Evergreen Plastic to the inside/interior of the windows so the "glass" area can be painted.  The other benefit was that allowed me to glue a tiny round magnet to the back side/interior of the window thus unseen.  I then used Evergreen Plastic to make the boards and glued another tiny magnet to the back of those boards.  In that way I can add the boards to the windows or remove them as needed.  I'd show pictures, but since I lost my Photobucket third party use, I haven't found a new source so no pictures at this time.

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 08:27:56 AM »
I'm doing my whole post apoc desert town in Plasticville, K-Line (pretty much the twins of Plastiville) and a couple pieces released with the first Cars Movie (Flo's V8 Cafe and the Radiator Springs Curio Shop).  When I started doing buildings I decided I liked the buildings so much I might want to use them for something else so I didn't want to rough them up too much.  I compromise by giving them removable boarded up windows.  It is my normal practice to make windows solid by gluing Evergreen Plastic to the inside/interior of the windows so the "glass" area can be painted.  The other benefit was that allowed me to glue a tiny round magnet to the back side/interior of the window thus unseen.  I then used Evergreen Plastic to make the boards and glued another tiny magnet to the back of those boards.  In that way I can add the boards to the windows or remove them as needed.  I'd show pictures, but since I lost my Photobucket third party use, I haven't found a new source so no pictures at this time.

Hi War In 15mm, glad you are still around and have not left the forum.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 07:59:56 PM »

I'm with you. I have an entire Plasticville urban set up but all the pics are in photobucket and I jsut haven't had time, energy, enthusiasm to move them unfortunately.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 08:06:27 PM »
If you click on my link it will take to my Flickr account.  I love Plasticville.  There are a few examples as well.  Lionel and K-line make good buildings as well.  You've got some rarer models in there.

Downtown Innsmouth by oldben1, on Flickr

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 09:29:20 PM »
OLDBEN1 - Awesome stuff!   :)