Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:04:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley Mounts: No actions, not even ones that can be used like attacks?  (Read 623 times)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Reading further about mounts, I see that no actions can be performed while mounted. That makes a lot of sense for plot points and many actions, but might there be some actions that ought to remain feasible while mounted, e.g. transferring a plot point from one character to another, using mind blast, etc.?

In general, it should take less effort to control a running mount than it would to run oneself, and a walking mount should take almost minimal effort to control.

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
  I can see the logic of what you say--for some mounts at least--but the rules for vehicles and mounts are already hard to keep straight. This issue has been discussed in the Pulp Alley forums, and Dave seems pretty convinced that the rule is as it should be. Maybe if there were an ability "Trick Rider?"

Offline Panama

• Scientist
I know where your coming from WuZhuiQiu if a guy on a horse can shot a gun why can he not throw a grenade, but the thing is with PA & its what make it great is Dave's why of keeping it simple, sure trotting along on a horse a character would be able to do all kind of things like you say, but what if we'll say for whatever reason that character was to jump on the back of a charging Rhino ?

I've played a lot of games over the years some of them very complex where you could do anything you could imagine but you would spend forever trying to work out all the modifiers to do so, that is far removed from how Dave see's PA I would guess, as he said some where the action is on the table, but there is nothing stopping anyone of us from adding things & given Dave feed back as its something from what I've seen he welcomes.

So if you wanted to say house rule that a guy on a horse that moves less then half his speed can do an action try it out & let him know how well you think it worked, & you never know with PA 2 in the works you might get your wish.  ;)     

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Reading further about mounts, I see that no actions can be performed while mounted. That makes a lot of sense for plot points and many actions, but might there be some actions that ought to remain feasible while mounted, e.g. transferring a plot point from one character to another, using mind blast, etc.?

In general, it should take less effort to control a running mount than it would to run oneself, and a walking mount should take almost minimal effort to control.

Yes, the intention is that characters cannot perform any actions while mounted.

The primary reason a character cannot perform actions on mounts is purely for play-balance. Mounts already offer more advantages than most assets that have a similar cost. They really should cost more to be in line with other assets.

As a special rules for certain scenarios, we have allowed characters to perform specific actions while mounted. You may want to do this as well.

Considering the relative cost of a mount, I think they are well balanced. If you'd like mounted characters to perform actions, you may want to increase the cost or create a new ability/perk that allows it.

As always, the only rule that really matters is "have fun".  :D