Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:31:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Malifaux modeling rant (to keep me from throwing models)  (Read 5283 times)

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
Malifaux modeling rant (to keep me from throwing models)
« on: December 19, 2017, 01:27:59 AM »
enable rant mode:
Who decided that the new Malifaux minis needed to be composed the way they are?
That they need to have been split as many ways as they have? That they should be this fiddly?

I just recently started getting back into Malifaux and got a bunch of the Gremlins and some others...
Lenny, a decent sized miniature: 13 parts. It went together okay-ish I guess. The Swine-Cursed? Not
so much. Bad gap issues, even after trying to adjust. And heads composed of 4 different part? Really? Seriously?

Alt Barbaros for the Neverborn was painful: very small connection points for the sword/hands to connect to
two separate arm pieces. th wings just don't seem to sit right and again with very small connection points.

I'm not even going to talk about the Alley Cats from the nightmare edition Curiosity Killed the Cat set. At least
now I know why they are titled "Nightmare." (edit: the top right mini in the picture is 7 pieces)

I do feel sorry for any newbies that are trying this for their first miniatures gaming.

rant mode off: They are good looking minis once they are together. I do like the game, maybe not as much
as V1.5 but I do like it.

-B

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:21:07 AM by Brandubh »

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Malifaux modeling rant (to keep me from throwing models)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 03:21:57 AM »
With you bro.

Hate having to put figures together. Especially when there is no good reason to
have them in so many parts. One giant pain.

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 03:52:52 AM »
Malifaux really lost me when they went to plastic. Their old metals had so much personality and I have found none of that in their plastic kits. The people look like dressed mannequins & I agree that they keep getting more and more unecessarily complicated. And maybe it's just me but I think the details keep getting softer as well.
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 01:51:52 PM »
I have so many broken gremlin/goblin models - love attaching models at the ankles when the joint is larger than the tip of my glue bottle.  There is no conceivable way to get a drop of glue that small on some of those joints. 

Ninja gremlins (Moon Shinobi?) - 2 have broken.
Rooster Riders - 2 roosters broke at the ankle, and after a quick fix to make them look like they were wearing chains and shackles, then a gun broke off the 3rd.
Wong - can't keep his hand attached.

I have simply given up buying any more Malifaux at this point.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 12:57:05 PM »
I don't play Malifaux, but have bought some of their plastics for other uses, and even though I found them no big hassle to put together (a box of Hoar Cats(?)), I too was wondering about the unnecessary splitting of parts which could just as easily have been moulded in one piece.

This, I suppose, is the result of doing all design work in 3D software. There's no (actual) gravity when creating 3D models, so parts bending or being impossible to hold up through tiny connection points is not an issue.

Also, when the model is ready to be broken up for casting, mould considerations only come apparent then, and certain parts will not fill properly, unless they're seperate pieces. But it could also be that the cutting up of the model for casting is automatically done by a program.

Either way, I suppose there's a learning curve to find out what is practical or not. And maybe the designers just need to let go of the idea of making as small and detailed as possible parts. ::)

Again; just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

I'm almost starting to believe I'm well off with my Infinity antenna's, fins and other assorted small parts... lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 01:02:44 PM »
Some of the miniatures can be insane to assemble, yes. Several times I stared at sprues thinking "whaaaaaaaaat?". But some fine tweezers, a good glue applicator and a BIG serving tray on my lap to catch any falling parts made sure assembly went fine. And yes, the final miniatures are great.
But I am still amazed by Wyrd's choices in plastic models. They have been doing plastic for years now and you'd think they would change it so new gamers can start playing faster and with less hassle. I just don't see new gamers getting into this game if they don't have a lot fo modeling experience.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »
Fiddly multi part minis are the bane of my Wargaming existence. I gave up my attempt at Bushido as soon as I had the minis in hand.

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 02:22:28 PM »
I agree 100% with you sir.. I despise little fiddly parts especially with my fat fingers.

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 06:34:40 PM »
I have a running joke with a friend of mine -- we're curious how long before Malifaux comes out with a model with individual teeth on the sprue.

The models look absolutely amazing, and I love them ... when I can actually assemble them, and when they stay together.  Makes me miss the metal gremlins.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 08:11:45 PM »
By Yan Lo's Beard!

"By Yan Lo's Beard!" is a common expression of frustration. It is named after Yan Lo's beard, a very difficult part to assemble.

https://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/M2E+Yan+Lo
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 08:17:18 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 08:23:19 PM »

Two part head...

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 10:55:41 PM »
The ones I've done have certainly been complex and often a bit fiddly, but the online assembly instructions made what to do clear enough (as well as letting me know in advance what I was getting in to) and they've all been solid once dry - albeit a bit fragile-looking due to the thin plastic bits.  Despite that the plastics are more durable than many of the multipart metals in the old days were.  Their contact areas were frequently awful and far too small to drill and pin.  Maybe I've just been lucky in my choices but so far I haven't any real complaint with the plastics, where I absolutely hated some of metal stuff for being too fragile for use.

Offline cerealkiller195

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 07:31:10 AM »
yup, when malifaux first went plastic i knew i was not a fan. I left the game for a few years and when one of my buddies said he wanted to play again i told him i'll only play with the metals. Which surprisingly aren't that hard to find and cost less than the newer stuff.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 10:55:12 PM »
Most of them are just unnecessary complicated but there are few that are impossible to do in sustainable usable way.

Yan lo beard you glue and never touch again..

But Zombie Chihuahua its impossible to handle without damaging.. Dead doxy hat is glued by half a mm fingers.. and its mostly taken by that hat in the hassle of the game.. and so on..
And I play Ressers - not that fidly faction.. :)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 04:37:09 AM »
While a few models have tempted me, I've been considering their wild boars for other gaming uses...how are they in comparison to the pile of parts stuff?