Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:35:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Brits in 1950s - uniform?  (Read 2993 times)

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
Re: Brits in 1950s - uniform?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 07:57:41 PM »
There are a few on there plus don’t forget the good old Saladin as well👍

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »
I could...  or I could use the Die Waffenkammer Centurion that Jeff will send me.  Seeing as I built the master ;)

Its being cast any time now.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 08:07:41 PM »
You could still have a Centurion, just look on Ebay for the Corgi Diecast Centurion MKIII, change the toy barrel and do a repaint....avoid the Dinky one though. 

Given that Rich has produced the master for a Centurion, that's going into production at JTFM, I doubt he's in much need of the Corgi version. ;)

Use of '44 pattern webbing was universal amongst the Paras in the '50s. A field pack hides the additional cross straps at the rear which give it away and there are a number of makers of US water bottles which in 28mm stand in for the 44 pattern. If you hunt around for the old Wargames Factory survivors the sprues have a goodly number of SA 80s which would make handy basis for conversion. Actually I'd be prepared to part with mine if you want, I  have no real need for them.

I did read somewhere that the Paras were supposedly heavy users of the No 5 rifle, AKA, the Jungle Carbine and got a heavy allocation in 1945. There are a number of photos of 1 Airborne Div occupying Norway toting them. Must have been a shortlived phenomenon. I've seen thecodd one depicted in use by 6 Airborne in Palestine but nothing later in Cyprus or Suez.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
Awesome thanks!

My force will be a what if force toting EM-2s eventually!
Centurion and probably a 17pdr

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 09:33:50 PM »
Awesome thanks!

Centurion and probably a 17pdr

17pdr? Nah, if you are going wotif, go for the 32pdr. A manly man's anti-tank gun! :D

By the by, the paras were using US M40 106mm RCLs in the 1950s.

Let me know if you want the SA 80s and I'll dig 'em out post Christmas.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 03:48:07 AM »

If you're looking for a 'what-if' scenario for your 'what-if' force, why not go all the way and follow the one for WWIII laid out in this 1951 issue of Colliers?

Right timescale ('52-'54) for your previous models and your No.9 Rifle (EM-2) toting Brits. Many Soviet units were toting SMGs still, as well as wearing WWII style uniform (although WWII-style Soviets with AKs would be even better), while the U.S. was pretty much still the same as in 1945, a la the new Empress U.S. figures.

I've been procrastinating over it for a while, but lack of figures and vehicles was an issue. You're chipping away at the vehicles and even the figures are partly do-able. It's all the same tech level as Bolt Action (although I'd be going all to CoC if it was me).

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 08:59:16 AM »
Late to the party, but from 1951...

The 'Commando Cap' shown on the Minifigs above, was almost universal head wear in Korea for the Army, as the helmet could be worn over it.

I love the caption on the first photo which emphasises the Bayonet!
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 09:07:50 AM »
Bloody septics, they killed that rifle. Welched on the deal to buy the FAL, bought a piece of crap in the form of the M-14 only to ditch it a few, short years afterwards for a weapon with a smaller round but arguably considerably less efficient than the one for the EM-2. Wankers.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 10:17:48 AM »
Bloody septics, they killed that rifle. Welched on the deal to buy the FAL, bought a piece of crap in the form of the M-14 only to ditch it a few, short years afterwards for a weapon with a smaller round but arguably considerably less efficient than the one for the EM-2. Wankers.

Tell us how you really feel about it.  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2017, 10:36:38 AM »
I love the caption on the first photo which emphasises the Bayonet!

"They don't like it up 'em" could have been a mantra for the 20th Century British Army. Although having a business-like bayonet served the Scots Guards well at Tumbledown when the ammo ran out.

Bloody septics, they killed that rifle.

They killed the .280 round, but it was Winnie and the returning Conservatives who killed the EM-2 and the TARDEN. The EM-2 had actually been accepted for service in the British Army pre-production, but Winnie and co. overturned that decision.

The thing is NATO had standardised on .30-06 on inception in 1949, as most of them were being supplied by the U.S.; only a faction within Britain was pushing for a brand-new round. With large stocks of weapons and .303 ammo, HMG was not going to just throw them away.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:08:29 PM by Arlequín »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »
@Arlequin: that contradicts the narrative in the Osprey books (I will look up which ones).

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2017, 02:49:55 PM »
History often contradicts the narrative of Osprey books. ;)

There's plenty of contemporary primary source material out there on the net, as well as the core timeline itself as regards the adoption of the various calibres of NATO standard rounds.  

E.g. Hansard, 1st Feb 1954
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:06:46 PM by Arlequín »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2017, 03:14:29 PM »
History often contradicts the narrative of Osprey books. ;)

There's plenty of contemporary primary source material out there on the net, as well as the core timeline itself as regards the adoption of the various calibres of NATO standard rounds.  

E.g. Hansard, 1st Feb 1954
Osprey often contradicts itself as well ^__^.

Your description (probably echoed by Hansard, I have not read that) is echoed by the SA80 book. An alternative narrative is put forward in the FN FAL book.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2017, 03:55:19 PM »
It's worth a read when you have some time, although bear in mind what is not said as much as what is said. While a MP or even a PM would never actually lie, they might apparently 'mislead', something we've been reminded of more recently.

lol

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2017, 04:42:20 PM »
If you're looking for a 'what-if' scenario for your 'what-if' force, why not go all the way and follow the one for WWIII laid out in this 1951 issue of Colliers?

Right timescale ('52-'54) for your previous models and your No.9 Rifle (EM-2) toting Brits. Many Soviet units were toting SMGs still, as well as wearing WWII style uniform (although WWII-style Soviets with AKs would be even better), while the U.S. was pretty much still the same as in 1945, a la the new Empress U.S. figures.

I've been procrastinating over it for a while, but lack of figures and vehicles was an issue. You're chipping away at the vehicles and even the figures are partly do-able. It's all the same tech level as Bolt Action (although I'd be going all to CoC if it was me).

Interesting will take a look.

Agreed on the CofC but BA is easier ;)  I've got some sympathetic BA event organisers who let me run 'eccentric' lists in normal games.  Mostly because I don't take the piss and rarely win... 

I like the idea of a western Europe force too...