Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:45:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Interwar colonial  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Interwar colonial
« on: December 26, 2017, 03:12:30 AM »
Was wondering if anyone here does interwar colonial games?
I am thinking about getting started in this period. Good wars
for both the French and British. Was wondering what is being played?
What rules and figures are being used?

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
Re: Interwar colonial
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 08:53:15 AM »
Hi - currently slowly collecting 3rd Afghan War (side project) in 28mm using Empress Miniatures Jazz Age range. Running it alongside my C19th NWF collection. Rules still up for debate but had a test game using A World Aflame (which I use for Spanish Civil War) and it worked pretty well. 
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:12:41 AM »
A look on the Colonial Board might be useful, as it also covers the Interwar Era under its broad umbrella.

I've an interest in the Rif War, Abyssinia and Palestine, but have done little about them as yet.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 06:51:15 PM »
Toyed around with the idea of doing something about British Somaliland, but could never quite pin down whether to go early 1900s or 1919. Did a bit of both and then kind of stalled. Luckily the Somalis are good for both periods, and other stuff besides, so I don't consider it time wasted.

Incidentally, the rule for Colonial Adventures vs. Interwar works thuswise: Beautiful eye-candy pics of your painting belong on Colonial Adventures; while difficult questions and controversial matters likely to cause heated disputes between members belong here on Interwar.  ;)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:18:51 PM »
you must purchase the dedicated Foundry book "Rising and rebellions"..plenty of ideas
i tried in the past quite a few "late colonial" wargames all in 20mm ..1:72

- NWF of India in the Thirties ..with plastic converted minis from Red Box, Airfix, few Platoon 20 metal Soviet invasion Mujaideens armed with obsolete magazine rifles and the excellent Raventhorpe dedicated range..pitted VS Aifix Ghurkas, Raventhorpe British and again from Raventhorpe dismounted Somaliland Camel Corps perfectly passing for Frontier Scouts

- Italian reconquest of Fezzan , Cirenaica with my own Italwars Eritrean Askaris and Sahraians camel troopers, Lancia Armoured cars and few Foundry 20mm Eritrean askaris vs Airfix plastic arabs

- Italian Conquest of Somalia Sultanates above all with Italwars and Raventhorpe minis
- Italian Conquest of Abyssinia same as above

rules used: Rapid Fire adaptations for late WW1 (found on line) and Rapid Fire on 1 to 1 basis find on Gauntlet magazine..for NWF i also tried TSATF version for late conflicts "The Sword and the Adventure"

Naval and Military press catalogue has many volumes (ex Official History of Indian Campaign, Somalia ecc..) with useful battle maps

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 09:25:23 PM »
Incidentally, the rule for Colonial Adventures vs. Interwar works thuswise: Beautiful eye-candy pics of your painting belong on Colonial Adventures; while difficult questions and controversial matters likely to cause heated disputes between members belong here on Interwar.  ;)

lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 01:48:09 AM »

But Plinkles that’s not always the rule as you can see in my reply i’ Ve refrain myself to mention the magic therm “politically correct” ;D

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 09:57:51 PM »
You might try the British actions against insurgents and bandits in the then-new country of Iraq, 1920-23.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline MartinD

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 12:41:55 PM »
I just picked up a copy of Risings and Rebellions myself!

Really delving into this period, will be painting soon. Still wondering about rules, but I't'll be a while before I get to the playing stage. I'll probably go for a Back of Beyond set.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 11:30:30 PM »
I am doing Interwar Colonial, also with the Empress minis range.  Keeping it small, just a couple dozen Highlanders, and double that many Afghans.  Basically using a tweaked version of The Sword and The Flame.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 05:25:43 AM »
I came up with a sort of Imagi-Nation, the Princely State of Jhamjar, mostly because I wanted to playtest Chain of Command and didn't have any WWII figures to use.  Instead I have my WWI Indians taking on the British Raj.

http://willstoysoldiers.blogspot.ca/2017/04/the-princely-state-of-jhamjar.html

http://willstoysoldiers.blogspot.ca/2017/04/coc-game-aids-and-more-for-jhamjar.html

http://willstoysoldiers.blogspot.ca/2017/05/jhamjar-rising-my-first-coc-game.html

http://willstoysoldiers.blogspot.ca/2017/06/jhamjar-border-skirmish.html

Jhamjar is inspired by a combination of "Setting the East Ablaze" (especially the chapter on M.N.Roy), Boy's Own Adventures with the Salute States, the novels of John Masters and a healthy dose of 'what if'.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:28:58 AM by Will Bailie »