Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:41:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: An Alpha Legion project - Now in Glorious 3mm  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
An Alpha Legion project - Now in Glorious 3mm
« on: December 26, 2017, 09:01:47 PM »
The inglorious 20th Legion, the Alpha Legion, are one of my favourite Heresy Era concepts. They are devious, dishonest, scheming and duplicitous to a hammy and entertaining extreme – to the extent that no one knows which side they are on (perhaps they don’t even know themselves). I was lucky enough to have my wife and daughter buy me the Dark Imperium boxed game for my Christmas treat and I’m very keen to start messing about with some of those new big marines – who I hope to be using as Alpha Legion.

Since there seems to be no real consensus as to an actual legion colourscheme I thought I’d go with a bit of a mixup and painted this fellow as a test figure:

I’ve tried to give a him a pretty weathered look, I like the idea of Alpha Legion operatives being infiltrated for months/years causing trouble (also I hate painting flat clean colours because I always screw it up and muck hides a multitude of sins), so I really went to town on his armour. I’ve used washes of greens, purples and blues over the azure as tests but I think they look alright together and neatly avoid me having to commit to a solid colourscheme (which I won’t be able to exactly reproduce!). I also gave him solid metallic arms, one with a wash over it, since I like the effect it gives on the cover of the Legion novel.

So, a pretty chilled out (read scruffy) paintjob which will hopefully transfer over to the big Primaris fellows and it would be interesting to hear any thoughts on the colourscheme.

More to come soon…

Promises, promises.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:10:55 AM by Grumbledook »

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
Re: An Alpha Legion project
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 03:21:37 AM »
Grim'n'grimy - I like it!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 05:06:06 AM »
Liking the color scheme, and the same reason I started off with Nurgle marines way back when. Will he get any decals/symbols?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 09:02:47 AM »
Nice paint job. I look forward to seeing more of them

They probably alter their look depending on the nefarious scheme(s) they are undertaking.

"Hi, we are the Hydra Legion. We are here for a surprise inspection of this key communication nexus. Of course we are on your side, Look at our bright shiny armour".

http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Alpha%20Legion
(Still not painted/finished).

If they are working in the shadows, they are going to be grubby. They probably pre-weather their armour.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:07:56 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 12:18:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback chaps.

Von Lucky - This chap is just a paint test so no decoration for him, since I don’t fancy buying transfers and I think I’ll be having a go at hand painting on some numerals and obscure markings.

Ultravanillasmurf - I think you’re right about their MO, whatever is appropriate for the job. Basically they’re the Astartes version of Method Actors! Oh, and I like your Terminator and the  sniper particularly, made anymore progress on them?

One Alpha Legion feature that I particularly like is the exploitation of ‘assets’ and I’m in the process of throwing together some bonded mechanicum and general purpose saboteurs and ruffians to make up a good proportion of whatever it is I will try to come up with first...... perhaps a Shadow Wars team?

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:45:30 PM by Grumbledook »

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 12:10:31 AM »
Now in glorious 3mm!

From the excellent Vanguard Miniatures I have activated the shrinking ray and have a bases of teeny tiny Infantry along with their adorable transports. They are accompanied by a First Order Transporter (which scales beautifully - the little apc tanks can actually fit inside) which has been dressed appropriately:

I've painted them a bit of a richer blue, it's got a green tinge but that hasn't come out much in the photo, which I think helps them stand out a bit.

Thanks for looking.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: An Alpha Legion project - Now in Glorious 3mm
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 12:26:06 AM »
Well those are pretty! They look fantastic matey - that first order transporter has just jumped straight onto my list! What range is it from?

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 12:33:22 AM »
Cheers!

The transporter is from a range of die cast toys called the Black Series Titanium, I bought a few from a toy shop in a sale just knowing they would be perfect for something.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 12:45:15 AM »
Those 3mm guys look great. The brighter blue against the red/brown base works really well and the posing of the figures on the base is excellent.
Nicely done.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 10:37:10 PM »
 :o
That's as insane as insanely good! Bravo!

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 09:11:19 AM »
Wow  :o

Outstanding work. I'm having enough trouble with epic at 6mm  o_o

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 09:44:17 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback folks. It's been a long time coming but here are some pictures of the force so far:

Mechanised Infantry

Command Unit

Some Tanks

There are lots more tanks based and ready for painting including rocket launchers and anti tank sniper tanks, as well as a super mega tank (from the 6mm range).

Thanks for looking.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 07:59:29 AM »
Those are amazing.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 10:17:32 AM »
Wow, those are really cool! Lovely work!

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 08:14:13 AM »
Thanks chaps. These little fellows continue to be a absolute joy, so here are another four bases of adorable tanks:

I've swithced to using the snappily named Baharroth Blue for the edge highlighting on the anti-tank tanks and am very happy with it. Much quicker than mixing a highlight! The more of these I paint the more I want, I reckon that the opposing force should be in the super jazzy pink and gold of the Emberor's Children. Lots more Blue Green to paint until then though.

Thanks for looking.