Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:15:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2018 Vanvlak's Necromunda Pattern Low-Loader (a.k.a. VIVI)  (Read 3620 times)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
Re: BSC2018 Vanvlak's Necromunda Pattern Low-Loader (a.k.a. VIVI)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 02:22:09 PM »
Nice work! That flowerpot crate is a great idea.  :)

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 02:45:21 PM »
I love it when found objects make their way seamlessly into a build  :)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 04:46:55 PM »
I love it when found objects make their way seamlessly into a build  :)
And here's when it all goes haywire - and an excellent example of what not to do in BSC!

1) The build started getting too big and bulky, and the skeletal look of the trailer was lost - so I backtracked and returned to a fully open cockpit.
2) I forgot I hadn't taken progress pics (and thought I had); today I added the last details, sprayed the thing white and went to catch up with my posts, only to see that there's a big gap in pics!
3) VIVI the low loader was drying on the roof after spraying. I went out to retrieve the beastie and found that (i) the wind had increased to a gale (ii) the large sheet of foamboard I use to spray on had been overturned and (iii) VIVI and a few loose bits of scatter which will serve as cargo had been scattered across a few pot plants...

Good grief... this thing is really a good example of an ill-conceived project  ;D

The upside is - the blasted thing survived intact! I must have built her stronger than I thought, so other than some soil stuck to drying paint(!) she's more or less fine.

So on to the pics - but first, apologies for the gap, which I'll fill with words - there's actually not much missing:

I removed the upright blue structures.
I added a computer console cut out from an unused Land Raider door, and constructed a driver's station (the driver will stand at the console, and would generally pre-programme the journey.
I added the cylindrical battery and main drive (a fluorescent tube starter and plumbing fitting glued together - they're the bulky-looking cylinder near the console seen in the pics below.
I added another structural part front, and a secondary cargo area aft.

I actually think I have the photos somewhere, which I didn't post (I was off to London for a few days and then had a bad head cold) and now can't find.

The current updates (yes, I wouldn't have finished either if the original deadline had held.... good job I am not really participating and am building this just for fun, or I'd have a major conflict of interest in the time extension!) include several small detailing bits (mostly off- cuts from laser cut models), a number plate and a pair of cables from a Forgeworld model attached to a disc from the afore-mentioned Land Raider (part of a hatch, I think) to serve as an induction charging system for the battery of this electric bastie.

Pics:
Overhead view:

The driver's console, drive, induction charging system (left) and wheels:

VIVI assembled with gangers fighting over her (the loser gets her...) - in the foreground is the cargo, some scatter bits and pieces I'll pile up mostly on the rear platform - she looks better unloaded up front (she DOES sag when loaded!).

I used three commercial bits - the chopped-off console; the cables; and the round disc thing. I'd have to add the dustbin, the cylindrical containers and pallets if I include the cargo of course - except that the small pallet is actually placed at the driver's location for short drivers (also provides electrical insulation from the floor, what with the drive humming along at high temperature and voltage practically in the driver's face...also leaks volatile acids too, by the way).

List of errors:
1) plan ahead better or at least sketch the beast out
2) do not stick things on before you're certain you'll keep them
3) take pics, keep multiple copies in a known location, post them directly!
4) weigh down the spray surface - or just don't spray in wind!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:48:59 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 06:18:32 PM »
Looks ace!

You could add a small wheel to the front, that would help with the sagging.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 11:38:04 PM »
That is absolutely bonkers.
I love it!
 :-* :-*

Clever use of 'crap' too.....
 ;D ;)