Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:14:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Welcome to...Err... New town build  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
Welcome to...Err... New town build
« on: December 27, 2017, 05:51:59 PM »
Finally got off my arse and managed to progress my town build over the Xmas holiday from the box of mdf bits bought at least 3-4 months ago.

Problem is picking a  name to stick on the municpal shacks - I was very taken with Schitte Creek, and Upsheet Creek, but my creative juices have been sapped by endless coffee stirrer cutting and my mind is (for once) barren of suitable Finbar Saunders alternatives. Anyone have any suggestions?

Group shot showing my inability to complete any one thing. I'll be starting with 3 houses, a Blacksmith, barn/livery, couple of saloons, a few stores and the offices of the local evil mine company. Im sure it will expand with a freight/stage company, obligatory Brothel and I'd like a few tents to give the impression of a gold rush/boom town.

image Flickr

Warbases barn which is likely to end up as either a Feed/Grain merchant or a Livery.
Figures are the 28mm Knuckleduster - cracking range (luckily) as I ordered a whole towns worth and then found I'd selected the smaller 28's which dont quite fit with (to my eye at least) the Artisan I already had.

image by Flickr

Sarrisa Precision Medium building which is on the way to being the Marshall's office - cells, internal front and partion wall, and tidying of the stone work to go.

image by Flickr

At my present rate of production (back to work next week) I should have these painted this time next year, assuming the Oow, Shiney! impluse can be restrained - yeah, right....

Online Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: Welcome to...Err... New town build
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 06:29:23 PM »
If your still stuck, you could just go with New Yark.

But hopefully someone will have a better idea..

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 07:03:40 PM »
Don't have a suggestion for town name unless with your (allegedly) slow build rate you want to use 'Infinity'.   :D

However I do like the way you have used the MDF and added your own interiors/exteriors.  It makes the buildings a whole lot better and much more individual.

Keep up the good work.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »
Rock Ridge.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:22:07 PM »
In view of your problem and the fact you are looking for a mining town look, how about the
town in the film 'Paint your Wagon'..... NO NAME CITY.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 11:05:01 PM »
Wouldn’t that mean it would just be called CITY ?
Flatpack

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 10:36:54 AM »
You could always look at google map of the US and see what names you can find - that's how I ended up with Beaverlick.

Keep on building!
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 10:57:09 AM »
that's how I ended up with Beaverlick.
lol couldn't help, but quote that one. Splendid!

I also like Infinity Creek! And I nostalgicly remember "Walnut Grove" from that Little House Novel/TV-Series

Your build-rate isn't quite so bad! I am still working on "finishing" my Samurai-Houses ... from 4grounds ... so they are more or less pre-painted.
Try to finish the first one ... than paint it. At least prime it, to my experience the first completely finished house usually speed up things.
In addition put them on a suitable table with some minis, mumbling things like "draw, hombre! *pawpaw*"  ;)
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 12:56:38 PM »
Thanks for the comments and suggestions Gents.

Try to finish the first one ... than paint it. At least prime it, to my experience the first completely finished house usually speed up things.
In addition put them on a suitable table with some minis, mumbling things like "draw, hombre! *pawpaw*"  Wink

Ha!, if only; then I would have a fully completed project rather than 7 'almost but not quite' ones.

Progress interupted by annoying things like children demanding food and the outdoors, but should have the cells and the second house done today.

As for painting, Im going to go for a new build look, nothing in 'Wherever' is going to be more than a couple of years old, Dirty Frank's shack being the exception... 

The name is still eluding me - I want some thinly disguised profanity, Germanic settlements like Fuchsville (can't type an umlaut) or Wanksburg - too crude really - time to dig out the Viz Profanasaurus methinks...

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 04:21:32 AM »
I'm kind of digging Wherever as a name.
- Scott

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 05:33:35 PM »
I love these buildings.  I’m a big fan of scratch built rather than laser cut and this town definitely deserves a cool name!

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »
I love what you are doing with those buildings. Keep it up.

Real US places...

Possum Grape
Dead Horse
Hell
Boogertown
Loonieville
Flea Town
Dogtown
Gaylordsville
Kickapoo
Spread eagle
Tightwad
Whynot

All real place names. I swear.

Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 08:00:04 PM »
I have some silly charts I made up on my website for my game, you're welcome to take a peek, see if anything catches your eye:

http://shootnskedaddle.blogspot.com/2017/05/telegraph-office.html

^Look at Telegram 3 --- it has a D20 randomized chart for making up somewhat Hollywood-esque names for random towns and locations.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 03:17:18 AM »
fantasynamegenerators.com has a western town name generator section.