Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:43:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689289
  • Total Topics: 118269
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First time super sculpy  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
First time super sculpy
« on: December 28, 2017, 09:52:09 AM »
Hei,

my girlfriend was making her first sculpt using super sculpy and I like it so much that I thought I share it with you folks  :)

She's about 55mm high and will be a present for her mother once painted.

Now I have to convince her to make me a few 28mm minis, cause she really has talent  :D

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Re: First time super sculpy
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 10:33:26 AM »
First time sculpt?!  She certainly has a talent
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 10:42:07 AM »
Nice! Looks like she already has some good sculpting skills/experience, and this is merely her first time with Super Sculpy in specific.

If you're serious about getting her to sculpt you some minis though, get her some Bees Putty. It's a German brand of polymer clay. Super Sculpy is great for bigger stuff, but it's not durable enough for 28mm people. It's fine if you're only sculpting masters for resin casting (not vulcanized molds), but too fragile for tabletop use in that kind of wee thickness. Bees Putty AFIK is the only polymer clay with enough durability to be used as as a "final" material for one-off custom 28mm figures.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »
That's first time?!?
She should take part in the Build Something Competition (2018), she could win hands down!

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 11:06:32 AM »
Nice! Looks like she already has some good sculpting skills/experience, and this is merely her first time with Super Sculpy in specific.

Exactly like that  :)

It's not like she never sculpted before, she's a woodcarver by profession and sometimes she needs to sculpt a modell using clay.

If you're serious about getting her to sculpt you some minis though, get her some Bees Putty. It's a German brand of polymer clay. Super Sculpy is great for bigger stuff, but it's not durable enough for 28mm people. It's fine if you're only sculpting masters for resin casting (not vulcanized molds), but too fragile for tabletop use in that kind of wee thickness. Bees Putty AFIK is the only polymer clay with enough durability to be used as as a "final" material for one-off custom 28mm figures.

A few years ago I comissoned a few minis from a german sculptor and he uses super sculpy as well, and I have to say that I never had problems using the for gaming  ;)
But I will get her some Bees Putty as well.

Thanks guys for the comments so far, will forward them to her.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 02:20:19 AM »
Yeah, sculpey can last for a while - but, mark me, one day it will break.

Wonder if the Bees Putty can be found here in the states?

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 07:51:33 AM »
IIRC they don't have any official US distributorship, but you can buy direct from their website in Germany as easily as from a US company. I bought an assortment of their stuff from them last year, and it went perfectly fine.

Bees Putty retains some flexibility when cured, a little like Green Stuff, so it doesn't have the cracking/crumbling issues that a lot of polymer clays do in thin applications. And unlike other poly clays, the residue washes off your hands easily and cleanly, which is verra nice. In my personal experience it's not entirely as durable as is often sung (it will still take fingernail impressions when cured*, and will still break if flexed too far), but on balance it's more durable than any other polymer clay I've used by a very good margin.

It's been steadily replacing Fimo Classic as the favored material among mini sculptors who preffer poly clay to epoxy, and I know of at least one long time Green Stuff sculptor (Kev White) who's actually been converted to poly clay by it.

*I was told at the time that this might have been an issue of insufficiantly precise oven temperature. IMO if it needs the kind of precision that implies, then I would personally consider that a design flaw. However, according to their Facebook they've made adjustments to the formula in the past year to allow a wider temp lattidude for optimal curing, so the current batches may be better than the stuff I have. I'll have to buy some more to try at some point.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 02:02:32 PM »
And just for completeness sake, the painted owl ;)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
Wow.  Great sculpt and fantastic painting.   :-* :-* :-*

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 08:00:31 AM »
That is some quality work there. The painting is great, but the sculpting is awesome!

Now make her sculpt a Porg... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 04:18:28 PM »
That's fantastic work.  Well done!