Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:14:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2018 McMordain's Post-Apoc/Necromunda Bar  (Read 15389 times)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
BSC2018 McMordain's Post-Apoc/Necromunda Bar
« on: December 28, 2017, 11:32:53 PM »
Well I think the most ill-advised thing is that I did enter the BSC again...
Apparently I still have enough free space for half-done projects. lol

As for what will I build, I'm not sure. I want to try to concentrate my hobby efforts for next year a little, to get things done. At the moment there is two game which have my interest and are played or will be played at our club.
These are the new Necromunda and the Warhammer: Age of Sigmar. So for now I will try to think of something that fits one of these games.
I'm not good with abstract thinking so I have a hard time getting my mind around this years theme.
The two thing that comes to mind is either a vehicle of sort with an out of place engine or a building built on or under something dangerous. Maybe... I don't know, this will need some time.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 02:11:59 AM by McMordain »

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
Re: BSC2018 McMordain's Something
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 02:58:37 PM »
So after thinking I will build a bar/gang hideout for Necromunda. As for ill-advised, the owner(s) thought that it is a good idea to build it over a large pool of acid. Some sketches will follow probably over the weekend.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 04:18:42 PM »
So after thinking I will build a bar/gang hideout for Necromunda. As for ill-advised, the owner(s) thought that it is a good idea to build it over a large pool of acid. Some sketches will follow probably over the weekend.
I like this... :D also because I'm working on a Necromunda project too.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:13:21 PM »
While I haven't started to build anything yet, but I sort of finalized my plan. I mean I have a general plan now for the build... a starting point. (I need one, so I can deviate from it later lol)

The idea with this is that someone (maybe with some orkish taint) thought it would be great to build a thing over a big acid/chemical pool in an abandoned and ruined factory.
The base for this is 40 cm x 40 cm. The bar will be around 20 cm x 20 cm, but it wont be an exact square. Probably.
I want this to be somewhat compatible with the Sector Mechanicus terrain from GW so the height of the levels will be based on their stuff. I have a Promethium Refinery kit for reference.
Also I plan to build this to be mostly generic, so I that I could use it for other games, beside Necromunda.
So that's it for now.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:56:44 PM »
Finally I had time to work on this.

The base:

I glued together two 3 mm thick HDF board. This helped somewhat to flatten their warping. It doesn't lay perfectly flat, but it's good for now.

The placement of the pipes. This will be the height of the levels.

I cut a grove for the pringles tube. It should help with gluing it in place.

This is how the other pipes will be fixed to the base. I can't cut straight with my hot wire cutter, that's why the smaller bits are conical.

And the start of the support structure for the main build.

Still a lot to do, but at least I started :P

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 01:44:25 AM »
Dare I ask about the Pringle's Engineering spaceship, McMordain?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 09:58:44 AM »
And, 'He's Off!'.
 :D

I look forward to seeing where this goes as I have a load of stuff to build in a similar vein, so ideas WILL be stolen.
 8) :D 8)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 05:02:33 PM »
Pringles seem to be a prime material of choice this year too -I'm almost feeling a bit less accomplished as I haven't used any... :D

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 11:27:04 PM »
Dare I ask about the Pringle's Engineering spaceship, McMordain?

Ship? What ship?  ???
I'm kidding :) It's in the same "one-day-I finish-it" phase as a lot of my other projects. There was absolutely no interest in any kind of skirmish sci-fi game which really killed my motivation.
I may finish it this year if I can play Necromunda regularly in our club. Don't hold your breath though...

I look forward to seeing where this goes as I have a load of stuff to build in a similar vein, so ideas WILL be stolen.
 8) :D 8)

Well I steal get most of my errr.. inspiration from the amazing threads here on LAf so if you don't mind stealing second hand ideas, feel free to do it.  ;)

Pringles seem to be a prime material of choice this year too -I'm almost feeling a bit less accomplished as I haven't used any... :D

I have a lot and it takes up space, so it's about time I use them up. Some of it are quiet old  lol

Today's progress was not much. I spent a hour last night thinking about how to proceed. I realized that if I start gluing things together (which would be the easiest way to build), then it will be quiet hard to paint the thing.
So I have to build it in parts, and possibly paint some of it before assembling.
Obviously the first thing I need to finish is the base. Which means I need to do the detailing on the pipes before I can fix them in place.

The small pipes. The pins for the lower rings will be put in when I'm ready to glue them in place, as they will help fix the tubes to the blue foam inserts.

I made a template to help positioning the steps.

The first three will be "full" steps, like the one the Escher ganger is standing on. The other 12 or so will be an assortment of different designs. The first step on the above pic will move up, because the water effect will be around that level.
I like doing these (and the whole thing as well), because I don't need to worry much about precise measuring and cutting. :D

I also decided to make much lower wall ruins or I may forgo them entirely. They would be to big when two levels high and too much extra work.

While walking home today I come up with a rough history for the building. It came from the ideas of the little details I want to include in the build.
So while the current use of the place is as a bar, originally it was the dwelling place of a hunter. I share other bits and pieces as I go along.

Tomorrow more work on the stairs.
Till next time.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 11:45:45 AM »
Well last week was not very productive...
Any way I make progress on the stairs, and did some detailing on the pringles tube. Which will be a tank instead of a pipe.

Most of the stairs needs support from below and a few doesn't have all the bolts added.

While I don not have nice rubber mould for nuts and bolts like tomrommel1, I have the next best thing, which is instamold and some nice details from various terrain sets.

GW's Sector Mechanicus stuff has some nice details which is really useful.
I'm on holiday today and the plan is to finish the base. I need to do the sides around the base for the water effect and do any detailing on the tubes that cannot be done after they are fixed in place.
Then I can start working on the upper level.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 12:42:27 PM »
That’s all looking good! 8)

The different materials for different stairs is a nice touch!

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 01:07:19 PM »
really nice looking staircase you've built there, and the rivet mould is top!

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
Re: BSC2018 McMordain's Post-Apoc/Necromunda Bar
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 02:01:54 AM »
Today's work.

Still a lot of work on the base and I need to go to work in about 6 hours, so that's it for now.
On the bright side, I just noticed that the deadline is not Feb. 10, as I thought for some reason, so I'm not that far behind schedule. lol

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 08:59:49 PM »
That's an excellent start! Can't wait to see it take further shape!  :)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 06:44:23 PM »
Pretty cool project, seems to be a nice layout. I've been wanting to make a Necro bar for about twenty years now, never have done it. I'm living vicariously through you ;)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza