Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:38:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 30/08, pg 19 - Queen Selyse)  (Read 53573 times)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Thanks everyone!

I'm glad the yellow turned out ok! I was unsure how it'd look with yellow parts fixed to non-yellow knights, but it seems to have worked when they're en-masse! The Perry knights are a joy to paint (even if that many horses is a bit daunting sometimes!)

Longer term I might swap out one of the standard bearers for a Melisandre, but I might save her for a "Summer Stannis" to go opposite Renly. I've got a real soft spot for the parley scene both in A Clash of Kings and in the show too

Whereabouts are you based, we should get a game in ...although I’ll need a lot more free folk...unless you are happy for me to butcher your Baratheons with some Boltons..?

;)

I'm based near Brighton in the sunny South, always down for a game though! That is a good point too, I should probably structure some of these Baratheon boys into a list of some kind! What systems do people use these days?

Plus, no need to be picky about opposing forces! The nice(?) thing about King Stannis is that he has terrible people skills so he can fight just about anyone!  lol

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
I should probably structure some of these Baratheon boys into a list of some kind! What systems do people use these days?

Not sure what systems others are using, but I’m going to write a simple fast play set....eventually  :D

Plus, no need to be picky about opposing forces! The nice(?) thing about King Stannis is that he has terrible people skills so he can fight just about anyone!  lol

lol

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Great work on the knights!

For game, I'm looking toward Oathmark from Osprey, due out sometime in the autumn, which should suit your basing decently. That's a mass battle game, and for skirmish Saga Age of Magic is getting some hype at the club so I'll play that with my Starks,

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look! Is Lion/Dragon Rampant much good for this sort of thing too?

Also, for anyone curious about the rather *erhem* odd, Florent sigil in the appendix, here's an example

It's quite something. I think for future Florents I may just do a "Fox's Mask" like in The Complete Guide to Heraldry

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 13/05 - Crowfood Umber)
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2019, 06:56:06 AM »
Hello again!

I'm back with some more northmen, this time, without any horses though!

I've been working on Mors 'Crowfood' Umber, and his pro-Stannis faction of House Umber, which in the text amounts to "a host of green boys."

Santa Claus Mors Umber is described as being tall, with a big ol' polar bear cloak and missing one eye, so I wanted him to stand a bit taller than his troops

I've also painted up a few of Umber's green boys, basically whatever peasants, fieldhands, stable-boys or lumberjacks are left at Last Hearth between the Red Wedding and Hother taking the other fighting men. So to get that impression I'm focusing on as little armour as possible, and more 'civilian' outfits, to make it look like they've just hastily been called out from the fields for a bit of mischief against the Boltons!

I wanted to avoid overt livery for the irregulars, but still wanted to tie them in to House Umber somehow, so I've got reddish-brown in the outfits to hopefully unify them a bit.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:19:02 PM by HappyChappy439 »

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2019, 07:11:17 AM »
Excellent work - like the bear cowl !

Where is the horn from...could do with some myself?

:)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2019, 05:19:30 PM »
Excellent work - like the bear cowl !

Where is the horn from...could do with some myself?

:)

Thanks! It took an unreasonably long time to work out how to do the bear cowl!

The horn is from the Gripping Beast Dark Age Warriors sprue. I've only got the one though, so I'm working out how to improvise for the rest of the unit!

[Also edit: I've updated the photos because something was bugging me about them!]

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2019, 10:54:37 PM »
Great read this. Some very good builds and ideas.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi everyone!

I've been a bit quiet in this log while I've been focusing on my Burgundians in another thread, but I've not totally neglected the Westerosi here!

This update's a bit of a cheat, where I've tried to paint up my Burgundian foot-troops as livery-independent as possible so that they could be used to represent Summer Baratheons, rather than Stannis' forces up North.

I'm planning on getting a few more units of greener Baratheons done (mostly Renly/Blackwater focused, like the Rainbow Guard), but in the meantime, here's the Flemish Storm's End pikemen!

[Edit] In retrospect, the civilian colours I chose of drab green, red and yellow ended up making them look like traffic lights, whoops!

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
I like the look of them! Very convincing!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again!

With the weather getting warmer I decided to work on our Knight of Summer, Renly Baratheon, in his full battle regalia. He's got a pretty distinctive suit of armour in the books, being all green enameled plate, with a huge rack of gold antlers on his helm, so I wanted to give that a go!

He's a re-purposed Edward IV at his base, with a headswap and some antlers bolted on as a start.  I was debating whether or not to give him a shield or not, but decided in favour of it, where I would be adding shields to the Rainbow Guard when I get round to them.

Renly here can be used either as Lord Renly of Storm's End, King Renly, or his ghost with Garlan Tyrell in the armour at the Blackwater, so hopefully fairly versatile!

Here's a shot of the three Renlies I've got done, I'll do something similar for King Stannis, so he has some Summer/Blackwater variants too:

Let me know how he's turned out!

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
He looks Really tough!
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Splendid!! :o I just need to make my Renly exactly like yours!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again!

I've been away for a while, but I've been working on getting King Renly's Rainbow Guard tabletop ready! It let me try out more colours I don't typically use (lots of purples!) so they were great fun to paint up!

The Rainbow Guard are Renly Baratheon's own new Kingsguard, with each member (minus the Lord Commander) having a specific colour, in-universe to represent the Faith of the Seven, where they each wear specifically coloured armour and rainbow cloaks to reflect that.

As a breakdown of the individual knights, here's the unfortunate Ser Robar the Red from House Royce, and Ser Emmon the Yellow from House Cuy, who both end up killed by a grieving Loras after Renly's death

The next three knights are the three who defect to King Stannis, Lord Bryce the Orange, of house Caron, Ser Guyard the Green of House Morrigen, and Ser Parmen the Purple from House Crane. Lord Caron and Ser Guyard lead Stannis' forces at the Blackwater (and die there), but Ser Parmen, the most cardboard of the rainbow guard, is captured offscreen, and is oddly still alive in the story, presumably forgotten about by GRRM, I don't think he even has a single speaking line!

Next up is Brienne the Blue, of House Tarth. I got to cheat a bit here, where during the Parley scene in A Clash of Kings, Brienne is described as wearing a visored helm, which saved me doing a headswop! She's assigned as King Renly's standard bearer during the parley with King Stannis, and was planned to carry the Baratheon standard into battle before Renly was assassinated, so I've given her the standard of the group.

And finally, here's Lord Commander Loras Tyrell, he's got fancier armour in the books, so I gave him a WotR body rather than an Agincourt one to reflect that!

To round things off, here's a full group shot of King Renly and his amazing technicolour kingsguard!

Let me know how they've turned out! They were great fun (if extremely fiddly) to paint!

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Amazing detail. I love how you are following the story to a T. Great job.