Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:46:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 30/08, pg 19 - Queen Selyse)  (Read 53571 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 24/11 - A Forest of Fells)
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 08:37:18 PM »
Love it, really embracing the obscure and punny side of Westeros :D

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 11:35:00 PM »
Yup! Going through the wiki (and most of A Dance with Dragons) it seems that Stannis is left with the pun houses in the stormlands!

At the same time, a LOT of the houses that are described as having any significant numbers with him seem to have either white or green in their house colours. I'm debating who to have for a second block of archers, but I don't want them to be TOO similar to the other houses. Wensington maybe? Blue/Yellow. Worst-case I'll set them up in Baratheon yellow, Stannis mentions archers more than once after all.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 09:11:34 AM »
Have been going back over a few threads of late, and I must say that ermine looks great.

8)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 29/11 - Baratheon Backup)
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 02:17:46 PM »
Hello again! Another update quite soon after the previous one!

I've been working on getting a big block of Baratheon infantry to form the core of the force, to represent the King's Men and Queen's Men in the levvies that came north from Dragonstone and Storm's End.

First up, a unit of crossbowmen. I wanted to put Humfrey Clifton, a knight from the Westerlands who follows Stannis north, but he doesn't have a sigil described in the books. But luckily there's a historical House Clifton (of Clifton Manor) who fought in the War of the Roses, whose sigil is a white lion on a black field. The lion fits the Westerlands background pretty well I thought, but turns out they're fiddly to paint freehand! Hopefully it turned out ok (from a distance at least!)

Next up, a big block of Baratheon billmen (or halberdiers really, but that doesn't have the alliteration to it!). I've put two standard bearers in the block, so it can neatly be split into two groups of twelve if needed, but as part of the block of 24 I've got it being led by Ser Clayton Suggs (with the longsword).

Here's a shot of the full Baratheon column, I may add more units to it, like some bowmen or somesuch, but as it stands it'll be the core of Stannis' host.

Finally I want to just show the unit banners separately, I wanted to avoid having the same banners for every unit, to have a difference between King's Men and Queen's Men, so I've got variants of the Stag and the Flaming Heart on the banners. Stannis' personal standard is described as a bright yellow, so I've put the whole stag within the flaming heart, and a much brighter yellow for that one.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 03:04:44 PM »
I'm really enjoying following this project. Its great to see larger forces for GoT! These guys will look great once you get the army finished.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 08:16:48 PM »
They look great en masse

8)

Offline Lau

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2018, 09:39:06 AM »
Just so great!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 09:41:37 AM »
Blimey  :o
You're not hanging around!

Nice builds, and bold colours. Well done  8)

I've added your thread to the LAF GOT compendium / index!
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=87146.msg1074224#msg1074224

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2018, 04:00:32 PM »
Hi everyone! I've been focusing more on getting some blocks of knights ready, one with hand-weapons and shields, and the other with polearms, just to have some representation of the other smaller houses that follow King Stannis north, but not enough to really get all that much of a mention in-text!

I've finished the shield block so here's how they've turned out! I've got knights (and/or men-at-arms) from House Caron, Morrigen, Bar Emmon, Estermont, Chyttering, Velaryon, with Ser Ormond Wylde and Ser Corliss Penny, all led by a knight of House Florent:

I wanted to have multiple banners per block of knights, just to kind of reflect how every time Stannis' host gets described people talk about his banners (and given the casualties, he probably has a high banner : person ratio).

And again from the left, so the shields and banners are a bit more visible

And here's a shot with the flash on, just because the Morrigen shield is really dark, so it doesn't show up too well in photos:

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 15/12 - More Knights)
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2018, 09:29:00 AM »
Fantastic array of banners

8)

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2018, 02:42:44 PM »
They're going to look especially good once you have them all together. They will look like a true medieval army, full of different banners and household colors surrounding a core force of yellow!

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 04:38:29 AM »
Man you are knocking that heraldry out of the park!  Beautiful work!  :-*  Will you be doing Boltons and their begrudgingly mustered northern subjects to oppose Stannis?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 04:54:41 PM »
Thanks for the kind words!

I've got a block of Karstark pikemen ready to paint, and I'm mulling over whether or not to get some Freys into the mix (chances are I'll use one of the WotR Perry boxes rather than the Agincourt ones, to differentiate the Riverlands soldiers from the Northmen), but not thought about Boltons yet!

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2018, 12:11:05 AM »
Superb stuff!  ;)
Wish I could do my heraldry as well as you, great project.
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 29/12 - Bloody Northerners!)
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2018, 06:10:49 PM »
Hi again!

I've decided to go for a change of pace lately, which meant dabbling with Northmen!

So far I've put together two figures who I'm going to use for commanders, and a Weirwood (Which ended up far taller than I expected!) My camera does *not* like the lighting this time of year, so forgive the weird lighting and focus on the pictures!

The first of the two commanders are Morgan 'Middle' Liddle, who is an unmodified Perry Gallowglass commander, because I really like their Irish figures! and the other is Big Bucket Wull, taken from the GW Forlong the Fat mini, with his spear replaced with a Perry axehead.

Plan is to have a couple of skirmisher units of Mountain Clansmen to support Stannis' main force (or to represent some of the Northmen who are reluctantly following the Boltons)