Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:12:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 30/08, pg 19 - Queen Selyse)  (Read 53581 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 29/12 - Bloody Northerners!)
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2018, 07:55:27 PM »
Perfect minis for those characters.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 29/12 - Bloody Northerners!)
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2019, 06:35:40 PM »
Hi everyone.

Quick question, I'm looking for minis I could potentially use as a stand-in or basis for conversion to use as Arnolf Karstark, but I'm not sure what to use! Does anyone know of any manufacturers or miniatures that could be used as a nobleman, in like, noble robes/cloak/etc, rather than armoured? Bonus points if they have a staff or cane. I was going to use the Perry Henry VI, but I've got other plans for him!

It's surprisingly difficult to find unarmoured nobles in 28mm! I've tried looking up wizards and mages but they tend to either be too large scale, or a bit too scruffy looking!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 19/01 - Karstark Infantry)
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2019, 12:39:04 PM »
Hello again! And a slightly belated happy new year!

For a bit of a change of pace, I've started some work on some more Northmen in earnest, starting with the extremely loyal House Karstark.

I wanted to keep things different from the southron soldiers by having the gambesons (aketons?) in much darker colours, so brown, black and grey, rather than livery and linen colours...unfortunately that does have the side effect of being extremely dark and it shows up a bit odd in photos! Hopefully it came out ok!

As an aside, turns out those wire spears are actually quite sharp, whoops!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2019, 01:12:57 PM »
Looking good! Are those the old Claymore scots, now sold by Antediluvian? Was a bit tempted by their new War of the Bruces releases.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2019, 02:08:29 PM »
Yup! They're *slightly* smaller than the Perry figures but not so much as to be a problem!

They're essentially unmodified aside from the St. Andrew's cross filed off, though, in retrospect, it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt a St. Andrew's cross into a Bolton sigil! Just put a head onto the X shape.

Though while the sculpts are good, they do need some cutting and filing to get the pikes to fit, as a heads up!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 02:29:09 PM by HappyChappy439 »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2019, 04:57:59 PM »
Nice work, suitably grim northerners

:)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 27/01 - Renly Baratheon)
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2019, 12:33:46 AM »
Hi again!

So for another change of pace for this log, I've decided to allow it to be usurped by the younger Baratheon Brother, Renly.

I've used the Perry Henry VI as a basis, with his hat chopped off, and new hairdo green-stuff'd on, I'm still new to GS-work though, so Renly gets a stylish mullet/perm

The Perry Henry seems to have a slightly droopy old man face for young Renly, but I hope it's come out ok!

Here's the Baratheon brothers facing off! I want to hopefully make a Summer-Stannis, and a mounted Renly so I can make a little vignette of Renly's peach scene in the books.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2019, 10:17:15 AM »
Great conversion

There isn’t an end to this is there....what have we all got ourselves into?

lol

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2019, 09:13:56 PM »
Great conversion

There isn’t an end to this is there....what have we all got ourselves into?

lol

Hah, thanks!

The plan is still to focus (mostly) on Stannis' A Dance with Dragons storyline, so I shouldn't get sidetracked with things like the Blackwater, but I'll make a couple of exceptions here and there! I still need to convert something to use for Mel after all!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 03/02 - Ramsay Bolton)
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2019, 08:48:46 PM »
Hello again!

So I finally decided to crack open one of the plastic boxes of Perry HYW cavalry, and I'm very impressed! So of course the first thing I did was to chop up one of the torsos!

I decided to make an attempt at Ramsay Bolton from the plastic cavalry, with his House Bolton gimmick armour and all. In the books it gets described as "helm and gorget were wrought in the shape of a man's face and shoulders, skinless and bloody, mouth open in a silent howl of anguish," which of course called for some generous use of green-stuff, and filing down the existing helmet and gorget.

I'm still a bit of a green-stuff novice, so hopefully it turned out ok!

Once the sculpting was all finished, I decided to paint him up, and emphasise the "Red Helm" and "Dark Armour" that Theon points out, with a stylish pink cloak to tie the whole ensemble together!

I'm going to be putting together a unit of light cavalry to accompany Ramsay on the field, with axes and swords, rather than lances like those southron sorts. Let me know how he's turned out!

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2019, 01:32:55 PM »
It looks horrific! Perfect execution of what Mr Martin describes!! I'm gonna try to make my Ramsay like that!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2019, 06:06:27 PM »
Horrific and a bit crazy-looking...I’m surprised that the TV series didn’t use it, as it’s suitably gory.

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2019, 11:24:53 PM »
Now thats how to make a baddie look bad!! Got to be one of my favourite GOT figures the helmet is a real work of genius  :-* :-*
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 24/02 - Dreadfort Cavalry Test)
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2019, 09:20:58 AM »
Hi again everyone! Thanks for the kind words about ol' Ramsay!

I've been a bit indecisive over the last couple of weeks (combined with IRL stuff going on), but I've finally settled on putting together some test miniatures for House Bolton, starting with some cavalry. The sort of unpleasant chaps who follow Ramsay around, or cause mischief and mayhem in the Hornwood during A Clash of Kings.

I've gone with pink!Boltons for the livery, but I wanted to keep them looking pretty scruffy and disorganised where they're not much more than brigands, so lots of padded or leather armour. To help that look, I've given them all big axes, rather than any of that southron nonsense with lances. Can't raid a village and break down doors with a lance!

Doing the banner was a bit difficult, so I hope my attempt at interpreting the sigil has been successful!

The chap with the mustache is my personal favourite, I just like the pose!

For the units without big pink collars I wanted to give fur cloaks, to show that they are definitely northmen (and it's chilly up there!)

And here's the gang all together!

And with Ramsay too! Incidentally, I only noticed afterwards, that Ramsay (and by extension the other Perry plastics) are actually quite a bit taller than the other cavalry. Which has the nice side effect of showing that he is definitely the one in charge of the unit!

If these ones have turned out well, plan is to extend them to a unit of 10 Dreadfort cavalry for house Bolton! Hopefully they've turned out alright!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 24/02 - Dreadfort Cavalry Test)
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2019, 09:27:03 AM »
Looks great, the pink works well.