Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:52:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 30/08, pg 19 - Queen Selyse)  (Read 54172 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 30/08, pg 12 - Roose Bolton)
« Reply #180 on: August 31, 2020, 08:20:41 PM »
These are great! Somehow missed this thread up until now. Very nicely done.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again!

Bit of a different update this time, focusing on some terrain! I've been focusing on Stannis' campaign in the latter half of A Dance with Dragons, so I wanted to focus on the Crofter's Village he sets up shop in during the march on Winterfell.

The village gets described as "a mean and meagre place, no more than a few huts, a longhall, and a watchtower" and then Asha then later explains "King Stannis has taken the watchtower for his seat." So I figured the tower would be a good place to start!

The watchtower gets described as square, and windowless, with its entrance above-ground level (accessible by stairs, at least!), with a beacon fire at the top, where a lonely King Stannis likes to look into the fire. 

I'm still pretty new to terrain-building so I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it justice, so I commissioned OSHIROmodels here in the forum to build a representation for it. He's done an absolutely amazing job (not that I'm biased!) and it absolutely fits in with what I'd imagined the tower to look like

(Here's a link to their website as well, http://www.oshiromodelterrain.co.uk/index.html )

He was also kind enough to add a detachable beacon to the tower roof as well, as a really nice feature!

As part of the commission, I'd asked for little hooks to be added to each of the external walls, so that I can hang banners from them, and swap them out as-needed, to have a nice visual indicator of who's in control of the tower, if it gets used for an objective in any games!

Currently I've only painted up King Stannis' own banners though, but here's how they look on the hooks:

And here's the tower with some miniatures for scale:

I'd say OSHIROmodels did an absolutely amazing job, and I would highly recommend their services! An excellent result, and great service throughout the process! I'd strongly encourage people to check out the website to take a look at their work!

http://www.oshiromodelterrain.co.uk/index.html

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
That is a brilliant piece of work and great little additions to it. That really makes the piece multipurpose.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Nice  :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Looks great with the flags on  8)

Happy that you like it  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Beautiful  :-*

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Great execution of the interchangeable flags!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Very cool. Good idea with the banners and nicely executed by Oshiro.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again!

Thanks for the kind words about the tower! (though the credit definitely goes to OSHIROModels  lol !)

I've been spending most of the last couple of weeks practicing flag painting, just to fill out a bunch of variants to slot in depending on who would be involved in a given game/scenario!

(Naturally) I started off with two variants of the House Baratheon of Dragonstone sigil, I like the idea that the house sigil itself is the 'full' stag, while Stannis' personal arms are just the stag's head. (Though in the books, the descriptions change between A Clash of Kings and A Dance With Dragons, where Clash describes the stag more, and Dance refers to the stag's head specifically, so maybe GRRM just changed his mind over time!)

So next I decided to put together the other kings in the War of Five Kings: King Robb Stark, King Joffrey 'Baratheon', King Balon Greyjoy, King Renly Baratheon and King Stannis Baratheon (the image shows up quite small in an embed but appears larger in another tab!)

Next, here's some flags for assorted Northmen: House Stark (again), House Karstark, House Bolton, House Manderly, and a nice simple black flag for the Night's Watch

And a similar set for Southron houses: House Baratheon of King's Landing, House Lannister and House Frey

And the Iron Islands (I may expand these a bit more to include some others like House Harlaw later) : Regular House Greyjoy, and the personal arms of King Euron Greyjoy

And finally, for some Targaryen (and Targ-adjacent) flags: House Targaryen, The Golden Company, and House Blackfyre (in anticipation for a plot twist I'm expecting in The Winds of Winter!)

I've tried to freehand where possible, but some of them (basically any time I need to try human proportions like Manderly and Bolton, or the very fiddly ones like the Targ ones) I very much traced from reference images!

Hopefully they've turned out ok!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Wow, so many!  8)

They look great  :)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
They look amazing, very comprehensive too.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Very nice, the banners look very good.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Beautiful  :-*

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Lovely work mate. I can vouch for how difficult the Targaryen banner is to paint, so huge applause for finding the time to paint so many different Houses  8)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Wow! Brilliant work!