Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:39:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690815
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Battle of Bränkyrka  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
The Battle of Bränkyrka
« on: December 29, 2017, 01:03:21 PM »
For this years massive Christmas battle we played the battle of Bränkyrka using Pike and Shotte rules. The scenario is inspired by, if not written by this forums own Dalauppror.

The year is 1518 and the noble and just Danish King Christian II is laying siege to Stockholm to crush the treasonous rebellion startet by the vicious and powerhungry Swedish nobleman Sten Sturre The younger. The Danish army is made up of noble cavalry and german mercenaries. It is commanded by Christian II. himself and his most trusted captain Søren Nordby. Sten Sturre the younger and Gustav Eriksson (Vasa) andvances to Stockholm with an army of rabble and pesants.
Historically Christian II. moves his army out to meet Sten Sturres army in a pitched battle. But we thought it would be more fun if the swedish army fell on the besieging Danish army.

The Noble Danish army besieging Stockholm. And the treacherous Swedish rabble sneaking up on them.

As the Danish army realises the new threat they turn around to fight the swedish rabble.

Christian II. boldly gathers his noble cavalry to him and charges at the Swedish line to disrupt them before they get a chance to deploy into a battle formation.

He ends up somewhat alone on the left flank as his german mercenaries are unvilling to move towards the swedish lines.

On the right flank Søren Nordby has taken a bit more cautious aproach he is advancing more steadily on the swedes at a pace where he can keep his Geman mercenaries moving and hold a line. He has sent his heavy noble cavalry on a flanking move to roll up the swedish from the flanks.

An overview of the battlefield. On the top right you can see how the noble and brave Christian II. has ridden down a unit of Swedish rabble and punched through the line.

Oveview from the right flank. Søren Nordbys Heavy cavalry is getting ready for their flank charge the swedes have started to react to it.

On the left flank the German mercenaries still refuse to advance upon the enemy although they can see Christian II. is in dire need of some backup.

The Danish heavy cavalry on the right flank finally gets the charge order from Søren Nordby they ride down two units of Swedish infantry and are now behind the swedish lines.

At the same time Søren Nordby charges in with his German mercenaries and they obliterate two more Swedish units thereby breaking the two Swedish divisions on the right flank.

But although the Swedish divisions are broken and have taken heavy casualties. Very heavy in fact both Sten Sturre the younger and Gustav Eriksson Vasa both seriously wounded and had to be taken from the battle. The German mercenaries have also taken enough casualties to become combat ineffective. and we decided to stop the game here.

The Siege was not lifted and the battered swedish army could escape to lick their wounds and be back to fight another day. Christian II. Who at one point was thought to be dead on the hill after his heroic charge where he with his cavalry alone held the entire left flank, turned out to only be trapped beneath his dead horse. As the Swedish army retreated he was able to make his way back to his army. When he returned to camp in his beaten up armour a crossbow bolt in his left shoulder and covered in blood he walked calmly up to the commander of the German mercenaries and cut his head clean of his sholders with one mighty heave.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: The Battle of Bränkyrka
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 04:29:50 PM »
Very nice AAR, but you are too modest by not mentioning your excellent event cards.

We used the event cards Dr. Zombies had written for our Christmass game last year. Each player drew three cards at the beginning of the game and could draw a new every time he rolled a double for command. They could be played anytime and mostly affected only one unit by making it move faster, slower or backward, rallying units, rerolls or other stuff that made the game much more fun and random. The cards were originally written withLions Rampant in mind, but theyworked just as well for Pike ´n Shote

A most enjoyable game in very good company

Three chers from me.

Happy new year
Erik

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »
I love the picture of Søren Nordbys cavalry punching through the rebel lines and you can see the whole rebel army in a large and long line across the battlefield bending several places where its being pounded by royal units.

Erik

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »
Gee, Dr. Zombie,

Who were the good guys, you did not make that clear. ;)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 07:06:04 PM »
You’re right I might have been to subtle with that.

So to avoid any confusion and clear up any misunderstandings. The Danes are the good guys. The traitorous Swedes not so much.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 07:14:06 PM »
A great spectacle and a bloody battle with massive armies!  :-*
Must have been a very enjoyable game! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 12:18:49 AM »
Excellent battle.
What a way to end the old year.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 09:32:40 AM »
Great looking game. Always good to end the year with a big game!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 10:00:26 AM »
Great stuff! Do you by any chance have close up pics of the units anywhere?

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 10:12:09 AM »
Most of the units are from my gamingbuddy Erik's massive medieval collection. I don't think he has really done a photoshoot of his army. But he really should. So perhaps if we apply enough peer pressure..

The rest are mine and can be found here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=102240.0
Originally intended for Baltic crusades so they are really way out of time for this battle. But we figured they might just cut it as Swedish peasant rabble.

And my Landsknechts that can be found here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=102830.0

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 12:23:50 PM »
Great stuff! Do you by any chance have close up pics of the units anywhere?

I actually think Charlie has already made this request on one of our earlier post and I think I promised to do something about back then :(.

I cant think of a better newyears resolution than making a thread about my medieval colection. I think I will put it on the medieval site as most are Perry late mediaval miniatures and just a few early 16th landsknechts.

Happy new year to everyone

Erik

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 02:51:03 PM »
I cant think of a better newyears resolution than making a thread about my medieval colection. I think I will put it on the medieval site as most are Perry late mediaval miniatures and just a few early 16th landsknechts.

Sounds good to me ; )

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 09:37:34 AM »
Great stuff Frede! We see your stuff all too little.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 08:38:09 AM »
An excellent, even handed battle report, I didn't realise the Swedes were the bad guys until the good doctor pointed it out ;)

You’re right I might have been to subtle with that.

So to avoid any confusion and clear up any misunderstandings. The Danes are the good guys. The traitorous Swedes not so much.

Christian II doesn't sound a very forgiving bloke :o

It does sound as though you had a lot of fun, even if someone had to be on the Swedish side. lol lol

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 12:18:05 PM »
It was great fun. We have a guy who for some reason likes the Swedes and Erik being the good host took on the part of the other Swede.