Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:18:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690465
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Bikers Break Out - And now the Uranium Handoff Version 2  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
The Bikers Break Out - And now the Uranium Handoff Version 2
« on: December 30, 2017, 08:36:58 PM »
Hi there, I don't usually follow links to other peoples Blogs, so this is a bit hypocritical but I've just opened a google account and started a blog to record my games and I have posted the 1st one. I would appreciate someone taking the time to have a look at the blog and let me know how it displays and what I can do to improve it.

Hopefully you will enjoy the game post as well but who knows. It is an old game and I am intending posting in something like chronological order, the scenery does get better, although the story telling doesn't. :'( :'(

This is the opening to it so if you are turned off straight away you will save yourself some time.

Bikers Breakout

The local militia had heard that Vincent “Black” Lightening and his biker babe Angie were in the bar in a seedy part of town. They are isolated from the rest of their gang and would be a soft target, well as it turned out - not very soft.

Their orders were to bring them in alive, but the cops thought dead would be better, and safer.

The Cops
Captain Andy Donovan, Hans and Enrico were the 1st on the scene and due to a lucky dice for PEF, James and Willhelm came to reinforce them.

The Bikers
Vincent and Angie pictured here with the bar behind them. They had chosen a bad place to drink, not because of the clientele, or the danger of salmonella or being bitten by a rat. No the real danger was that the bar has no back exit and no windows except at the front by the door.

The beer was good but the location was bad.

Read the rest here http://vagabondswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/ and let me know if the link works. Cheers

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:08:42 AM by Vagabond »

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: The Bikers Break Out - AAR
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 09:14:00 PM »
Always great to see your cool minis in action!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 09:43:46 PM »
Looking good already.

- Link works (obviously).
- Format and layout are sound, clear and easy to read.
- Your writing style helps with the story telling, there are people out there with blogs where it's painful to read and photos are all out of focus, etc.
- If writing in Word, I'd make sure you write everything in one size and font when you copy and paste into Blogger. You can then play around with sub-headings, etc in Blogger.
- 28mm bikes, I assume yoy mean choppers, etc? I have just put together some of the Warlord ones (they come in a set, and aren't cheap, unless you got them on sale like I did):
https://store.warlordgames.com/products/apocalypse-biker-gang-frame
- Smilies don't translate across, hence the random "J"s.

Stick with it, it will get easier.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 12:11:29 AM »
Thanks Dave - that's good of you to say so.

Von Lucky thanks for the response, when I did copy and paste from word into blogger the text just jumped around like a box of frogs, I ended up deleting it and then tried saving it as an internet file I think and then pasting that into blogger which seemed to work reasonably well but I had to edit every picture, why does every one use small pictures when they can use large ones, can anyone enlighten me on this, I have resized them to make the file size small and they seem to load quite quickly.

I don't think I can write my reports in blogger I'm not that swift or precise. ;D

Thanks for the link in the bikes I'll check them out.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 12:36:50 AM »
I've found it easier to just get all the text down in Word and then paste it it into the HTML editor on Blogger which removes all different fonts and things, and so when I switch back into the other editor mode it all looks relatively uniform.

As for smaller pictures, well - my internet connection is slow at the best of times. Having smaller thumbnails means that at least I can load my own blog pages! Plus the smaller the image the less likely it is to distort the layout when viewed on a phone or tablet. That said, your blog has loaded up nicely on my 7" tablet.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 02:03:02 AM »
Thanks Idle.
I think I know what you mean with the html editor and will give it a go tomorrow.

Regarding picture sizes - I read that if you reduce the file size and then the picture size to the size on the post, it loads quicker than if you post a different size, either big or small and then convert it to a small image because blogger loads your original image and resizes it as the page loads. Therefore slowing loading time down. I don't know if that makes sense or even if it's true.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 04:16:12 AM »
Ha! Shooting myself in the virtual foot wouldn't surprise me in the slightest! You may well be right, in which case I may have to put more thought into manually resizing my pictures before uploading them... Ugh, blogs are such an effort!

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 11:38:37 AM »
Great pictures with a great tail told with no little humour so whats not to like ? I don't know  what is word thing that you guys are talking about is  but when I'm posting on my blog I just writhe it up on the blog & post it.  :)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 10:35:22 AM »
Ha! Shooting myself in the virtual foot wouldn't surprise me in the slightest! You may well be right, in which case I may have to put more thought into manually resizing my pictures before uploading them... Ugh, blogs are such an effort!

I'm in the process of reading your blog, the picture load up fine for me and are a good size too. I can't read your comic style reports on LAF because the picture are too wide for my tablet but they are fine on your blog.

Great pictures with a great tail told with no little humour so whats not to like ? I don't know  what is word thing that you guys are talking about is  but when I'm posting on my blog I just writhe it up on the blog & post it.  :)

Hi Frank, word is just a word processing programme that I used to use at work, so I have always written up my game reports using it. Then when I have posted on here is just a quick copy and paste, but that didn't work for me with blogger.
I'm impressed that you can complete a post at one sitting I need a bit more thinking time. o_o
Cheers

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 05:58:11 PM »
I never said I complete a post in one sitting Vagabond & a lot of the time I don't my friend, but you can save what you've got done on blogger until you have it finished  :)

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 07:29:06 PM »
Exciting report, right to the end.

As to posting, have you considered typing the report into a text editor (such as Notepad)?  Copying this to blogger should give you no trouble and you format the page there.  Or when you copy from Word, choose "copy text" only.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 02:41:10 PM »
I never said I complete a post in one sitting Vagabond & a lot of the time I don't my friend, but you can save what you've got done on blogger until you have it finished  :)

Well you've smashed that illusion, I had visions of you there with a green shade on your forehead, bashing out posts just like the script writer at Nickle and Dime Productions, probably getting paid by the word and with a strict deadline to meet. ;) ;)

Exciting report, right to the end.

As to posting, have you considered typing the report into a text editor (such as Notepad)?  Copying this to blogger should give you no trouble and you format the page there.  Or when you copy from Word, choose "copy text" only.

Thanks Dan I did try copying from Word into Notepad but what ever I was doing didn't work. :'(  I will try copy text only, next time. The issue I have is that there are about 20 or so games written up in Word and I don't have the heart to re-write them when I could be onto something new. Thanks for the advice though, I'll look at Notepad for the future.

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 04:06:09 PM »
Way off the mark Vagabond, its the monkey that wears the green shade on his head when he's writhing that stuff I just copy & paste it, you know the great thing about monkeys is you don't  have to pay them not even a nickel or a dime   lol

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 05:56:21 PM »
Just wanted to thank everyone who came up with advice on blog posting, I've just done the next one and it was much easier, so thanks again.
Cheers

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 07:21:38 AM »
There I'm thinking - where's the link?! Then I see you've added the globe logo under your avatar (website link). Nice one!