Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:16:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689254
  • Total Topics: 118266
  • Online Today: 558
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The arms and equipment of Roman vigiles or urban cohorts?  (Read 3596 times)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
The arms and equipment of Roman vigiles or urban cohorts?
« on: December 31, 2017, 02:37:26 AM »
I'd like to organize some small numbers of Roman figures into patrols drawn from the vigiles (or even urban cohorts), but have not yet found much in the way of solid information about their arms and equipment.

Nevertheless, I was thinking that unarmoured and uncrested Foundry Caesarian Romans with lancea instead of pila might do the trick. My reasoning is that policing and firefighting might have been hindered by armour; that shields and helmets might have been enough protection; that lancea might have been better than pila for crowd control or for cornering gangsters armed only with hand weapons; and that most opponents would not have been likely to have worn armour. Does that seem plausible?

P.S.: Does anybody manufacture Copplestone-compatible unarmoured centurions, or should armour just be a symbol of their rank? If their crests are removed, might centurion figures work as optios, ignoring the greaves and which side their gladius is worn on?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:43:51 AM by WuZhuiQiu »

Offline tom_aargau

• Librarian
Re: The arms and equipment of Roman vigiles or urban cohorts?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 07:40:48 AM »
This short article may help
http://educationaltour.fasnyfiremuseum.com/ancient-double-duty.html

Also, EDV makes vigiles in 54 mm

Appearance seems to be what you suggested, but with swords instead of lances.
There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today...turn two points to port.

Offline mr ed

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 08:09:59 AM »
I can't find the reference now, but I'm pretty sure there's a Montefortino that's inscribed as belonging to a member of the urban cohorts. Maybe in Conolly's Grece and Rome?

I'd probably use the Copplestone Caesarians  as you suggest for the UC, and then probably  just generic tunic clad for vigiles.

Clubs would probably be appropriate, the vigiles were also equipped with axes hooks and picks for sire fighting duties. They also used wicker mats  - if I do vigiles might give them some sparabara style shields and say they're doing double duty, but that's pure conjecture.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
I´m on the same project and ideas. :)
I will use the cesarian romans from foundry in tunic and do 2 units. One with shields and clubs and the other without the shields.
Just a idea but i probably end up doing it. A small force with a centurion and some armoured vigiles acting as urban cohorts but without shields. I probably will sculp some cloaks.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 10:55:09 AM »
I'd like to organize some small numbers of Roman figures into patrols drawn from the vigiles (or even urban cohorts), but have not yet found much in the way of solid information about their arms and equipment.

P.S.: Does anybody manufacture Copplestone-compatible unarmoured centurions, or should armour just be a symbol of their rank? If their crests are removed, might centurion figures work as optios, ignoring the greaves and which side their gladius is worn on?

Apart from the sound advice already given, I'd emphasise the distinction between firefighters (vigiles) and urban police (cohortes urbanae and, to an extent, the Praetorian guard). Despite a lack of evidence regarding actual equipment, only the latter seem to have been allowed to wear military gear within the city of Rome.
For any riot police scenario I'd stick with unarmoured legionaries to represent urban or Praetorian cohorts. Since this wasn't formal battlefield combat, officers had perhaps little need to set themselves apart from the ranks. You could add a plume to one's helmet, paint it silver or bright gold, or change it for a Pseudo-Corinthian one. Also take a look at Hellenistic ranges sculpted by Steve Saleh; they're similar in style to Copplestone's minis and may add variety for unarmoured figures.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 03:39:08 PM »
Thanks, all! Perhaps, I might get just one pack of these, rearmed with lancea, as gate or checkpoint guards:

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/unarmoured-legionaries/products/cr031-unarmoured-legionaries-at-the-ready-no-crest

Would they be difficult to convert so that they are gripping their gladius hilts instead?

Of course, these look good as-is, in a threatening ready stance:

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/unarmoured-legionaries/products/cr042-unarmoured-legionaries-advancing-with-gladius-no-crest

Clip their pila and twist their right wrists, so that they look as though they are about to strike with clubs?

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/unarmoured-legionaries/products/cr032-unarmoured-legionaries-throwing-pilum-no-crest

I wonder how Romans would have wielded their swords when not bearing shields? Suddenly, presenting one's left side to an opponent may not have seemed like such a good idea...

Of course, bearing large scuta while on urban patrols might have been an encumbrance in busy streets, and inspecting carts, etc., would have required both hands.

@mr ed: Yes, that was in Connolly's books.

@Mad Doc Morris: That it isn't battlefield combat is why I was thinking that signifers and cornicen wouldn't be needed. In fact, that could also justify omitting pila and thrown lancea, since there might otherwise have been a risk of missing and hitting bystanders...

Re. bearing weapons, I suppose that one could also set games in other Roman cities, where the rules may have differed. In a museum in Geneva, there is the skeleton of a Roman soldier who was caught in a conflagration. IIRC, he was found with his sword. I am not sure about Pompeii.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 04:24:41 PM by WuZhuiQiu »

Offline mr ed

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 04:10:31 PM »
A few extra points after a look in Sumner. It'd possible they didn't carry gladius' under normal circumstances. Pugio and cudgels being enough for most urban policing.

There didn't seen to be a need to avoid crests, indeed pink/red Jones might be appropriate for UC. Sounds like attic helmets fit as well as montefortino.

There's an unreferenced mention of whips for the vigiles.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 10:58:57 PM »
A few extra points after a look in Sumner. It'd possible they didn't carry gladius' under normal circumstances. Pugio and cudgels being enough for most urban policing.

There didn't seen to be a need to avoid crests, indeed pink/red Jones might be appropriate for UC. Sounds like attic helmets fit as well as montefortino.

There's an unreferenced mention of whips for the vigiles.

Thanks again; would that be Sumner's book Roman Military Dress?

I was going to omit crests for vigiles, in case they might have been called to fight a fire. A crest would have gotten singed rather quickly, and the crest mount could have impeded access through windows and other small openings.

Offline mr ed

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 03:35:11 AM »
Arms and armour of the Roman soldier.

The crests are in reference to the urban cohorts not the vigiles.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 05:09:26 AM »
Thanks!

Yes, got that!

And if it was a smaller settlement than Rome, would its vigiles have assumed the role of urban cohorts, too, I wonder?

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 10:31:02 AM »
And if it was a smaller settlement than Rome, would its vigiles have assumed the role of urban cohorts, too, I wonder?

There were no vigiles or urban cohorts outside Rome. The 'state' didn't provide public service in a modern sense, so it was down to local magistrates to establish/support organisations like a firefighting force on a private basis. Also, soldiers – as the only 'officials' paid by the state – were assigned to police service (as beneficiarii), while veterans, members of certain cults, craftsmen or simply people from the same quarter may have organised a kind of "neighbourhood police".
Hence I wouldn't stick to institutions but simply depict Roman police forces as unarmoured, perhaps helmeted men with clubs and the odd spear or sword.

Offline mr ed

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 03:24:24 PM »
At various points there were urban cohorts in Puteoli and Ostia protect the grain supply. Tiberius had one in Lyon, and Vespasian raised one for Carthage.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 09:38:10 AM »
At various points there were urban cohorts in Puteoli and Ostia protect the grain supply. Tiberius had one in Lyon, and Vespasian raised one for Carthage.

Exception proves the rule. ;)

No, you're right, didn't think of that. However, like you said, these were either urban cohorts (i.e. from Rome) sent abroad or troops raised for a specific purpose. They're mentioned in our sources (Suetonius?) likely because their deployment was an extraordinary measure. Also Lyon was deemed a "second Rome", site of an important imperial mint, while Carthage was the hub for grain supply from North Africa – other provincial cities were less likely to get that kind of attention.

Nit-picking apart, still recommend using militia-type figures for police actions across the Roman Empire. Be they urban cohorts, praetorians, beneficiarii, equites/pedites singulares, you name it. :)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 03:09:59 AM »
What would have distinguished such "neighbourhood police" from thugs, gangsters, and robbers...? ;)

Could it be that the histories mention the deployment of entire cohorts from Rome mainly because it was a decision that was made from the centre and with Imperial authority, and which allocated units that were associated with the Praetorians?

On the other hand, might the the local raising of centuries [?] of civic guards have been so unremarkable that it was not recorded? Indeed, who would have manned the gates of Pompeii, or enforced order in Massilia...?

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 01:08:18 PM »
Interesting questions. :)

What would have distinguished such "neighbourhood police" from thugs, gangsters, and robbers...? ;)

In appearance? Most likely very little to nothing. Their habitus is a different matter, hard to display with miniatures. Visibly bearing arms or even just military items like certain belts, cloaks or boots was a sign of authority and certainly reflected in one's behaviour.

On the other hand, might the the local raising of centuries [?] of civic guards have been so unremarkable that it was not recorded? Indeed, who would have manned the gates of Pompeii, or enforced order in Massilia...?

Roman emperors ensured that military power was restricted to the state, i.e. themselves and their administration. Local magistrates, particularly in the East with its long-standing traditions of communal self-government, were given some leeway to recruit armed forces on small-scale basis. On average, though, Italy and the provinces were more or less demilitarised. Hence even the smallest detachement of regular soldiers was an intimidating force. Beyond border zones and times of war one or two officers and a couple of men would've been sufficient to guard the gates and patrol the streets of most cities.

For those interested: my views are mostly derived from Christopher Fuhrmann's Policing the Roman Empire: Soldiers, Administration, and Public Order. By no means flawless, but a very accessible, relatively new study on the matter.