Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2018, 09:02:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Australian Frontier Wars - update 19MAY18 - Resistance! :AFW campaign rules  (Read 6615 times)

Online Lowtardog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
Re: Australian Frontier Wars - update 11FEB18 - British Army (I)
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2018, 06:37:37 PM »
An Aside, Happy Wanderer used your New zealand Land Wars modified QR and lists in Muskets and Tomahawks on Tuesday at the club and they work a treat :D thought I would let you know, thanks for the hard work too 8)

Offline Happy Wanderer

• mad scientist
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2018, 11:44:08 PM »

"and they work a treat :D thought I would let you know, thanks for the hard work too"

Thanks Lowtardog...great to see that work getting used by others -which is the idea  ;) Thanks for mentioning it - much appreciated...got any pics of the game, a brief AAR of how it went...that would be nice to see  ;D

Happy W

Online Lowtardog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2018, 11:48:22 PM »
We got a few snaps will try and pull something together :D

Offline Happy Wanderer

• mad scientist
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2018, 11:49:36 PM »
Cool  ;)

Offline Happy Wanderer

• mad scientist
Re: Australian Frontier Wars - update 16FEB18 - British Army (II)
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2018, 11:51:22 PM »
Gents,

In this post we look at the British army in the mid years in Australia ie the 1820s to the 1830s. This period involved the expansion of a number of military operations, significantly in Tasmania where major counter insurgency style operations were undertaken in a a veritable guerrilla war.

This period represents the high point of British army military activities in the new colony with significant operations in New South Wales from Van Dieman's Land (Tasmania) in the south to the border of the soon to be state of Queensland and South Australia.

Operations out west continue in southern Western Australia and flirtations in the 'Top End' off the coast of northern Australia (near modern day Darwin).

…lots to read on the Brit army down under…

Enjoy

https://wp.me/p1YrZG-1kh

Mounted Police field dress, 1832
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:53:05 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• mad scientist
Re: Australian Frontier Wars - update 18FEB18 - British Army (III)
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2018, 11:51:46 AM »
In this last post on the British army we take the service years of the 1840s up to the 1870. This includes the 'great rebellion' of the Eureka Stockade where redcoats stormed the defences writing themselves into the history books.

Progressively operations against the aboriginal population reduced as local forces and native police assumed the roles of ‘civil defence' and local Australian military organisations started to appear.

…so we end the hard history again and return to the gaming side of things in our next post. I hope you've picked up a few new perspectives on the British army in Australia in the 19th century.

Cheers

Happy W

https://wp.me/p1YrZG-1kC

Private soldier 12th Regiment of Foot 1854
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:55:41 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• mad scientist
Re: Australian Frontier Wars - update 18FEB18 - Outback!... a Congo conversion
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2018, 07:40:29 AM »
Ok Gents,

..we’re off doing something different.

Outback!…a Congo style themed game of exploration set in Australia.

The following post will give you all the details you need to mount an expedition into the Australian hinterland in the manner of Flinders, Blaxland, Eyre, Leichhardt, off course Burke and Wills and so many of the other explorers of Australia…this is rich gaming territory for the avid Aussie adventurer.

We’ll take a look at unique characters that can play their part with a complete adaptation of the existing Congo game to allow you to jump in boots and all without anything else to do but read on…it's all there for you...

So grab a cuppa and see what Outback has to offer…enjoy!

Happy W

https://wp.me/p1YrZG-1c2

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:09:58 PM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• mad scientist
Chaps,

In this post we expand out the factions in Outback, my conversion of Congo for use in the Australian Frontier wars.

These extra factions are more specific and take the game toward more of a ‘war themed’ game than the original exploration game though off course the two intermix to a degree.

So some added content for you to peruse.

Enjoy

Happy W

https://wp.me/p1YrZG-1nN

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:11:16 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline JasonB

• assistant
As a man of some Aboriginal heritage (Worimi) I am loving this project. All that can be asked is that such topics are treated with respect and they have been. As long as we dont reenact massacres like Myall Creek (and why would you want to?) this gives credit to a people who in the popular imagination were seen as at best apathethic to the colonisation when in fact the opposite is true. I have today ordered my own Denisovians to paint as Koori and will be getting some perry brits to oppose them. There are those who say that in reality resistance was not really encountered and they do the first Australians and injustice. If our games dont fully reflect the reality of the conflict but capture the spirit isnt that all we can ask for?
Great project looks really good!

Offline Happy Wanderer

• mad scientist
Hey Jason,

It's great to see you enjoying the AFW content. I've intentionally put a lot of work into this project as I wished to show it in its best possible light and I think I have achieved that goal - there was alot going on and not alot of what most people have heard!

Anything IMHO that sheds light on this subject in a fair and balanced, and historically factual way, is positive and speaks to how we can learn from mini gaming as well as enjoy the other aspects of it as well.

There is as much potential for skirmish gaming AFW clashes as in any other colonial clash and I think that has become apparent from my series of posts. It's fantastic you are going to get yourself a clan together and 'have to'...it'd be great to see any of you handy work or AARs for the rest of us to enjoy...I shall keep an eye out.

There's still a bit more to come down the line so I hope it is of some use.

Great stuff.

Cheers

Happy W

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:02:43 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline JasonB

• assistant
I was thinking that I would use the Perry plastic brits for Macquarie 1816 period. Do you think the Belgic is the better choice for shako?

Offline Happy Wanderer

• mad scientist
The 46th (South Devonshire) Regiment of Foot, which formed the troops of Macquarie's expedition were issued Belgic shakos before leaving England for service in Australia - so I'd go with Belgic.

FYI - they were nicknamed the 'Red Feathers' amongst a few other sobriquets, had Light Yellow facing colors, serving in Australia from February 1814 until proceeding to Madras in 1817.

As an aside, the Belgic was in vogue from 1812-16 before the Regency shako was implemented 1816-29, then the Bell Top Shako. I’d use them interchangeably as they both have the ‘bell top' look with the regency shako being a bit higher. I actually think these figures (Oronico Miniatures) would work really well for the post Belgic shako Brits in Australia look…they fit Perry’s size wise as well.

;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:45:16 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline JasonB

• assistant
Thank you! I’m thinking about the Perry carlist wars British legion for later brits

Offline Happy Wanderer

• mad scientist
Perry Carlist War Brits will work fine...that'd be the 1830s look to be accurate but as I say you really can start to get away with it from 1816 onwards if you can overlook the Regency vs Bell Top slight height difference - not a big one IMHO....those Perry's are lovely. Oronico Miniatures have a nice campaign look to them so both offer whichever style you prefer.If you really want a campaign look then the 1st Afghan War brits from Studio Miniatures will also work.
http://www.studiominiatures.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=category&id=52:british-army&Itemid=508

In this post I had a good chat about minis - maybe worth a read if you missed it  ;)
https://agrabbagofgames.wordpress.com/2018/01/04/

Cheers

Happy W

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:08:47 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• mad scientist
Gents,

Here is a article on frontier warfare in Tasmania by Australian Frontier Wars historian, John Connor. It's not to long and a very interesting piece going into a good deal of military detail on operations in Van Dieman's Land (Tasmania)....the stuff we like - certainly worth a read with a cuppa.

Enjoy.

https://wp.me/p1YrZG-1gg