Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:22:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Australian Frontier Wars - 24FEB23 (update) - MANY New AFW books…  (Read 34657 times)

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Gents,

I’m kicking off 2018 with a new series of posts aimed at an under gamed period of colonial warfare - British colonial conflict on the Australian continent aka the Australian Frontier Wars.

This subject does not get much main stream press and has little available on it. My purpose is to provide a solid base for gamers to possibly look at this period in colonial history as a potential gaming topic (1788-1900 ish) and try something unique...or at least different from Zulus and Mahdists!

We shall look at some of the story behind the wars, the types of troops involved, engagements fought, figures to use and generally the war-gaming potential just like any other colonial conflict. It is from this perspective that the series of posts shall be focused - a gamer’s perspective.

The idea with this thread is to use it as a place of discussion on the topic relating to gaming it, uniforms/dress, scenarios, AARs, etc that my blog posts highlight. Often people don’t post comments on blogs but do use a forum like LAF for general discussion - I’ve followed many threads like this and find them very useful. Hopefully this will be a resource point for future use, so please feel free to post related content here if you wish - all useful info is welcome.

Please note, sometimes this topic can be ‘derailed’ by shifting away from the conflict side of things and devolve into other realms of discussion. This is not the place on this thread nor my blog entires for such ‘distractions’ - so please, enjoy some new content, add some if you have any and perhaps take a fresh look at something that is not that well known about.

Enjoy.

https://wp.me/p1YrZG-10D

Happy Wanderer

« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 11:43:08 PM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Australian Frontier Wars
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 10:31:54 AM »
I know almost nothing about the Australian Frontier Wars, I read the post in your blog and yes, I'd like to know more!
I mark this thread and I'll follow it with interest! Congratulations for your approach of the general issue!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Online Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 12:06:32 PM »
Read your blog,interesting :)
Love the tribal warpaint on those minis  :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 12:13:51 PM »
Very cool...who makes the Aboriginal warriors?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 02:10:21 PM »
They are simply gorgeous! :-*

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »
Definitely a refreshing change from Zulus and Mahdists! I'll follow this with interest. Something that would be quite helpful would be a discussion of what wargaming resources are out there to help model the conflict - especially sources of Aborigines. The settlers would be easy.

Though I haven't seen them in hand, I've always liked the look of QRF's 15mm Koori: http://totalsystemscenic.com/product/kor01-koori-aborigine-warriors/

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 05:41:13 PM »
Those blokes look the business - lovely work. And a very nice photo as well.

Doug

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 01:14:14 AM »
The body painting on these plus the decorations on their weapons and shields is spectacular, great use of colours too!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 03:32:02 AM »
Where's the didgeridoo, mate?  And have you tied your kangaroo down?  lol

Seriously, those are some of the best painted minis I've ever seen.  Very cool! 

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 07:23:29 AM »
Gents,

Thanks for your kind/encouraging comments...that warpaint does look cool if I say so myself  :D

The aboriginal warriors are from Eureka Miniatures and shall be covered in my next post - if you like 'em then Eureka Nic is the man to speak to  ;)

I've not seen the 15mm Koori as 28mm is kinda my thing. The low scale skirmishes of AFW engagements IMHO lend themselves to this figure scale very well.

I shall be posting related material for further investigation into the topic regards resources I've found useful and shall be providing background from some of the harder to find resources that not are easily obtained.

So, the idea is that you should get a fairly good look at what the possibilities are. Hopefully, you could get figures before you get any book related material to get you going, but I would recommend the Australian Frontier Wars mentioned in my blog post as a cracking good place to start.

...more to follow.

Happy W

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 07:43:22 AM »
If you make any changes that would prompt the question....Didgeridoo?  

I know bad pun.

Did ya redo?  We'll it works with an American accent.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:45:02 AM by leadfool »
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 09:15:58 AM »
I won't get drawn into any debate about the nature of these conflicts but I will add my voice to the praise for your brushwork. Those 'Denisovians' really look magnificent, gorgeous painting.

By the by the chap at the front is a fairly good likeness of Uncle Jack Charles, noted thespian and former cat burglar. Truly lovely chap, he lives locally, I was chatting with him in Northcote just a few weeks ago.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »
Happy W - a very thought-provoking blog post. I understand your focus, and it's one that I believe will aid in understanding.

Though I haven't seen them in hand, I've always liked the look of QRF's 15mm Koori: http://totalsystemscenic.com/product/kor01-koori-aborigine-warriors/

I've not seen the 15mm Koori as 28mm is kinda my thing. The low scale skirmishes of AFW engagements IMHO lend themselves to this figure scale very well.

I have a whole army (BBDBA IV/12b, other Melanesian) of these I bought after stumbling on an article a few years ago on a large scale battle outside Sydney in the 19th century between two groups of Aborigines. Had no luck in finding it now, but there's a some useful information out there on indigenous warfare weapons and tactics.

The miniatures themselves are good for 15mm, though they'll need the addition of brass spears (where I've got up to with them), and should paint up well. Here's a fantasy HoTT army of them:
http://hordesofthethings.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/army-showcase-australian-aboriginal.html

Ian Hernon's 'Britain's Forgotten Wars' has a chapter on the war in Tasmania that gives a good feel for the situation.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 02:59:15 PM »
Happy W, totally understand your going for the larger scale. Just thought I'd mention them.

Von Lucky, thanks very much for the link to that fantasy army. I love the look of it so much I'm almost tempted to do it m'self!

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 11:19:11 AM »
That aboriginal list looks quite the business...very creative!

I hadn't seen Ian Hernon's 'Britain's Forgotten Wars' but it looks really good. I've ordered this one. It does show just how wide sweeping were the operations of the British Empire that's for sure and to some degree puts in perspective the activities of the British in relation to all interactions with native peoples in lands they ventured into - nice recommendation.

After you've had a primer from 'Britain's Forgotten Wars' check out this book - "The-Black-War" by Nicholas Clemenets - very good. In depth and wide reaching. It really gives you an excellent picture of what was happening.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Black-War-Fear-Resistance-Tasmania-ebook/dp/B00JD01NS6

HW