Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:35:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Australian Frontier Wars - 24FEB23 (update) - MANY New AFW books…  (Read 34654 times)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
Happy Wanderer - I find your informative pieces a fantastically inspriring source of useful information and it has rekindled my intention to explore the whole genre of "early warfare". Thank you for the effort.

I recall an article in Miniature Wargames by the great Andy Callan which sought to recreat the warfare of Papua New Guinea and involved figures mounted on inverted bottle tops so that movement by finger flick (like Subbuteo) was inderminate but skill related. It was probably around 35 yrs ago and I will dig it out. Maintaining morale was vital in success - as it always is, but success was also measured in acquiring status rather than simple victim head count. 

Do you know which magazine number contained this article ?
i remember too about an article where there was a color plate with native warriors. But  impossible to find it again (Wargames Illustrated, Miniature Wargames, or Practical Wargame...).
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
It was Miniature Wargames Issue 11. Send me a pm with e mail and I can send you the pdf's. The Kalkadoon articles were in Issues 112 and 113. I have those too.

thank you Bezzo.
ok for the pdf. I have a great collection of these magazines but not in good order. Need some classification in that lots.
Pm sent

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Happy to help. The best aspect of LAF is that we are ready to assist each other.

That and offer constructive advice, help and encouragement.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
All articles sent nervisfr and if anyone else wants them please contact me. And Hu Rhu I agree. Constructive comment is always welcome.

Great service ! ;)
once again, thank you Geoffrey to send me back to the good old time of wargame magazine reading..... ;D ;D ;D

May be a new project for me ...................oh no ! Never ending story.  :D
Based on the 28mm Perry's Xhosa natives with a new aircut of course (from the hadendowa ?) :P
who says ?

Eric

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
“Based on the 28mm Perry's Xhosa natives with a new aircut of course (from the hadendowa)

That’s what I did for my musket armed warriors... I green-stuffed their hair  lol ...Perry Xhosa...

;)

Happy W
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 04:09:36 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
“Based on the 28mm Perry's Xhosa natives with a new aircut of course (from the hadendowa)

That’s what I did for my musket armed warriors... it green-stuffed their hair...Perry Xhosa...

;)

Happy W

any pictures ?

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
“Any pictures?”

Well, it wouldn’t be LAF without a picture...and it’s been a while  ::)

This is best from my iPhone snaps. The three guys in trail have Rifles..you can see them. It was a bit of an experiment but the lean look and puttied hair works fairly well enough I think.

As a side note - Eureka Miniatures (Nic) mentioned to me that if sufficient interest was avavilable some extras could be added to the Denisovans...Aboriginal...range...maybe 4-6 sculpts would be all that is needed to save on to many conversions...it’d certainly be worth thinking on. IIRC 6 figures would need about 500 figures. You need about 100 in an army and when combined with cherry picking the existing range would not too much to aim for??

...think on it chaps...and here’s the pic.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 06:16:17 PM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Lovely work.  :D :D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Awesome brushwork. Smashing stuff. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Gents,

With alot of history talk stuff down the pipe we take a look at some gaming….thanks for sticking with me.

Here were are starting with our small skirmish level game scale of play - in this case using Dadi&Piombo’s Smooth and Rifled system.

The post includes full army lists for Aboriginal and Colonial forces, including explorers and bushrangers for some added twists. There are also game play sheets which will enable you to jump straight into the game…all this for the cost of zip...

You can get the rules from the Wargames Vault if you don’t have them and want to have a go or follow the link on their home page.
http://www.wargamevault.com/product/137231/SmoothRifled

http://smooth-and-rifled.blogspot.com.au/

In the post we look at some reasoning behind a number of my ideas on using S&R and I’ve included a new “Farm Raid’ scenario you can try specific for frontier war games.

There should be a good deal to mull over in your mind so I hope you enjoy…finally we got to the game!

Cheers

Happy W

…here you go…

https://wp.me/p1YrZG-1a5

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:44:16 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Australian Frontier Wars - update 01FEB18 - Skirmish gaming+lists!
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2018, 02:21:24 PM »
Interesting thread and great painting.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Australian Frontier Wars - update 01FEB18 - Skirmish gaming+lists!
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2018, 02:23:28 PM »
I have to say I do not know much about this period but I know what I like and I like your setup, some nice conversion work and lovely terrain and painting :)

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Australian Frontier Wars - update 05FEB18 - Battle Report!
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2018, 04:06:25 AM »

Gents,

Following on from our discussion and release of army lists for use with Smooth & Rifled for the frontier wars we take a close look at a fictional ‘sharp encounter’ on the road west of old Sydney town, c.1816.

The battle report highlights aspects of the rules and how Smooth & Rifled can be used for such small actions, barely below a reportable encounter or perhaps a few lines in official report or perhaps a paragraph or two in a private memoir.

For us it gives an indication of how these clever rules handle the platoon leader view of an action or a tribal leader in charge of mob.

Lots of pics, I hope you enjoy.

Regards

Happy Wanderer

https://wp.me/p1YrZG-1Hz

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2018, 05:20:05 AM »
Now, that's a proper flock of sheep! 

Oh, dear, am I going to get a reputation where sheep are concerned!  :o
 lol

Happy, last I checked their website, seems Eureka has discontinued the whole 300/500 club concept, might double check with Nic. 

Love the Cape Buffalo - though I suppose not meant to be so here, more of an Asian buffalo (though maybe I need to know more about the fauna of Australia).

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2018, 07:01:31 AM »
Now, that's a proper flock of sheep! 

Oh, dear, am I going to get a reputation where sheep are concerned!  :o
 lol

Happy, last I checked their website, seems Eureka has discontinued the whole 300/500 club concept, might double check with Nic. 

Love the Cape Buffalo - though I suppose not meant to be so here, more of an Asian buffalo (though maybe I need to know more about the fauna of Australia).
inthought Cape buffalo was just introduced Asian water buffalo? I suppose the question is when were they introduced into Australia.