Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:44:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Australian Frontier Wars - 24FEB23 (update) - MANY New AFW books…  (Read 34658 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Australian Frontier Wars - update 05FEB18 - Battle Report!
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2018, 09:18:25 AM »
inthought Cape buffalo was just introduced Asian water buffalo? I suppose the question is when were they introduced into Australia.

No, the Cape Buffalo is a distinct species, native to Africa.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2018, 06:18:31 PM »
Great AAR and pictures- a visual treat!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2018, 06:30:50 PM »
Fantastic :-* atmospheric table and miniatures

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2018, 09:54:06 PM »
No, the Cape Buffalo is a distinct species, native to Africa.

Oh yeah ,should of remembered watched enough nature programs  ::)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2018, 06:23:53 AM »
Okay, did some checking.  The animal in the photo above is pretty clearly an African Cape Buffalo from the boss of its horns but, because of the setting, is being used as an Asian Water Buffalo.  This is probably very simply because of a lack of a correct model - or maybe what was ready at hand.  No matter, still a wild beastie which is always cool for me.

As to the water buffalo in Australia, that same checking revealed they were introduced to the continent by humans in the 1800's and significant - but unsuccessful - attempts have been made to eradicate them from Australia because of habitat damage.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2018, 07:42:32 PM »
...gents thanks for the comments and elicit description of the said water buffalo!

Certainly a beast of the Northern states but in my case I just like them and they step in for bullock dray (train) draught animals and will stand in until I find suitable proxies...

...they look good though 😉

@Eradicate them - in my old job I flew around American game hunters up north who went on Buffalo hunts…NT legalised ‘sport culling’ as way to at least bring in some tourism!

Cheers

Happy W

« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 02:24:10 PM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2018, 11:05:48 AM »
Gents,

I’ve been pushing a fair bit down the pipeline so I’m offering up a number of suggestions for your own investigation. I’ve use most of these sources and many others not listed in my blog posts thus far.

Lots to look at and plenty to read – needless to say, only scratching the surface if one is prepared to dig a little more.

There is all the background information you need for skirmish gaming the Frontier Wars in these titles and I hope you investigate further as it is well worth it.

…happy reading!

HW

https://wp.me/p1YrZG-11U

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:09:49 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Australian Frontier Wars - update 11FEB18 - British Army (I)
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2018, 09:47:21 PM »
Gents,

We’ve focused heavily on the Australian indigenous native forces in the posts describing the Australian Frontier Wars. Now we turn our attention to a look at the British Army in its service in Australia. The three part series will look at the early, mid and later years where the British army first became involved (1788) until the final operations c.1870.

From a figure perspective you will find your peninsular Brit, or shako, bell topped and forage capped figures all being able to be pressed into service somewhere along the line…grab some tribals and fight it out down under for something different  ;)

I hope you enjoy a look at a slightly different ‘backwater’ British army, though not untypical of many such colonial detachments throughout the empire.

Enjoy

Happy W

https://wp.me/p1YrZG-1j0

Redcoats under attack!

Note: redcoats in this pic are a mix of Victrix, Perry and Brigade Games (who do a nice campaign kit British soldier - very good for Australia).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:28:33 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2018, 05:37:37 PM »
An Aside, Happy Wanderer used your New zealand Land Wars modified QR and lists in Muskets and Tomahawks on Tuesday at the club and they work a treat :D thought I would let you know, thanks for the hard work too 8)

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2018, 10:44:08 PM »

"and they work a treat :D thought I would let you know, thanks for the hard work too"

Thanks Lowtardog...great to see that work getting used by others -which is the idea  ;) Thanks for mentioning it - much appreciated...got any pics of the game, a brief AAR of how it went...that would be nice to see  ;D

Happy W

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2018, 10:48:22 PM »
We got a few snaps will try and pull something together :D

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2018, 10:49:36 PM »
Cool  ;)

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Australian Frontier Wars - update 16FEB18 - British Army (II)
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2018, 10:51:22 PM »
Gents,

In this post we look at the British army in the mid years in Australia ie the 1820s to the 1830s. This period involved the expansion of a number of military operations, significantly in Tasmania where major counter insurgency style operations were undertaken in a a veritable guerrilla war.

This period represents the high point of British army military activities in the new colony with significant operations in New South Wales from Van Dieman's Land (Tasmania) in the south to the border of the soon to be state of Queensland and South Australia.

Operations out west continue in southern Western Australia and flirtations in the 'Top End' off the coast of northern Australia (near modern day Darwin).

…lots to read on the Brit army down under…

Enjoy

https://wp.me/p1YrZG-1kh

Mounted Police field dress, 1832
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:53:05 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Australian Frontier Wars - update 18FEB18 - British Army (III)
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2018, 10:51:46 AM »
In this last post on the British army we take the service years of the 1840s up to the 1870. This includes the 'great rebellion' of the Eureka Stockade where redcoats stormed the defences writing themselves into the history books.

Progressively operations against the aboriginal population reduced as local forces and native police assumed the roles of ‘civil defence' and local Australian military organisations started to appear.

…so we end the hard history again and return to the gaming side of things in our next post. I hope you've picked up a few new perspectives on the British army in Australia in the 19th century.

Cheers

Happy W

https://wp.me/p1YrZG-1kC

Private soldier 12th Regiment of Foot 1854
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:55:41 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Australian Frontier Wars - update 18FEB18 - Outback!... a Congo conversion
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2018, 06:40:29 AM »
Ok Gents,

..we’re off doing something different.

Outback!…a Congo style themed game of exploration set in Australia.

The following post will give you all the details you need to mount an expedition into the Australian hinterland in the manner of Flinders, Blaxland, Eyre, Leichhardt, off course Burke and Wills and so many of the other explorers of Australia…this is rich gaming territory for the avid Aussie adventurer.

We’ll take a look at unique characters that can play their part with a complete adaptation of the existing Congo game to allow you to jump in boots and all without anything else to do but read on…it's all there for you...

So grab a cuppa and see what Outback has to offer…enjoy!

Happy W

https://wp.me/p1YrZG-1c2

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:09:58 PM by Happy Wanderer »