Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:37:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Arkiegamer's Runequesty/Gloranthy Thread  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
Re: Arkiegamer's Runequesty/Gloranthy Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 10:25:10 PM »
Don't worry about re-roofing.  Wooden plank roofs were (and are) used, although often coated with tar or similar to ensure a degree of waterproofing.

A suitably Praxian example:

from https://inspectapedia.com/structure/Plank_House_Construction.php
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Arkiegamer

• Student
  • Tim
    • Arkiegamer
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 03:46:05 PM »
Cool! Thanks for the good information.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 06:04:14 PM »
Great miniatures and longhouse!

For me, the tricky Gloranthan questions, miniatures-wise, is what to do about trolls - and especially trollkin. I've toyed with using old Citadel orcs (the preslotta ones, which are more outrageous in the snout and tusk departement) as dark trolls, as they're the right height, if a little skinny. But trollkin are more of a challenge. I have three old Grenadier goblins that are pretty much perfect - but only three! There are various nice dark and great trolls on the market, but precious few trollkin.

Dragonewts are much more doable, I think, especially as quite a bit of the Chaosium stuff suggests that they aren't particularly uniform in appearance, even when at the same stage.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 06:45:09 PM »
Great work on figures and building. Always good to see more Gloranthan stuff.

For me, the tricky Gloranthan questions, miniatures-wise, is what to do about trolls - and especially trollkin. I've toyed with using old Citadel orcs (the preslotta ones, which are more outrageous in the snout and tusk departement) as dark trolls, as they're the right height, if a little skinny. But trollkin are more of a challenge. I have three old Grenadier goblins that are pretty much perfect - but only three! There are various nice dark and great trolls on the market, but precious few trollkin.

I have some Essex goblins to repurpose as trollkin (which really just means giving them blue-grey skin and bronze weapons).

https://www.essexminiatures.co.uk/collections/25mm-fantasy-goblins

The light spearmen and slingers seemed most useful. If I ever finish them I'll post pics...

The general problem even with the available trolls is that they're all different sizes and shapes: the Fenris and Rapier ones are both well done, and source-accurate (as far as I can tell); but the Rapier dark troll is shorter and stockier. Not impossibly so, but noticeable. Obviously the old Citadel trolls (which I like a lot) are much smaller and look nothing whatever like their newer relatives...

As I think several people pointed out on LeadAsbestos's excellent Glorantha thread, there's an analogous problem with the various human cultures (Assyrian Lunars, as per recent source material, or Roman Lunars, as in my youth, for instance). Which should one go with? But frankly I'd say just do whatever you think works.

For example, I have some bison riders made from Essex ancient Britons (https://www.essexminiatures.co.uk/collections/25mm-ancient-british-gallic/products/bt3) stuck on bisons from Warbases. Essex cavalry, unusually, come without horses, so I had a trawl through their ranges; I know the Praxian tribes are usually depicted with Red Indian-style feathered head-dresses, but that didn't really work for me so I ignored it...

Anyway, do keep us posted with more of your excellent work.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 06:49:39 PM »
Great work on figures and building. Always good to see more Gloranthan stuff.

I have some Essex goblins to repurpose as trollkin (which really just means giving them blue-grey skin and bronze weapons).

https://www.essexminiatures.co.uk/collections/25mm-fantasy-goblins

The light spearmen and slingers seemed most useful. If I ever finish them I'll post pics...

Aha! Those might well do the trick!

Offline Arkiegamer

• Student
  • Tim
    • Arkiegamer
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 07:19:29 PM »
Thanks guys, and great discussion about sourcing proxies.

Honestly, I had planned to use traditional fantasy goblins, orcs, and trolls (not D&D trolls, though) for the various types of Glorantha trolls, until a better/more substantial line comes along. My players are completely Glorantha ignorant, so the only person it would truly bother would be me. A bonus is I already have lots of such things painted and based, which suits my lazy side.

Offline MachinaMandala

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 08:17:34 PM »
There's always the Mad Knight Castings guys:

I had to email him / message him on Facebook a few times to get a response and I think he only had that set or maybe one more left.

100% worth it, though. It was my Christmas present a few years back. :')

Offline Arkiegamer

• Student
  • Tim
    • Arkiegamer
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
Oooh! Very nice!!

Offline Arkiegamer

• Student
  • Tim
    • Arkiegamer
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 04:55:30 PM »
A bit of progress on this project, including a scratch built (blue foam, natch) shrine to Orlanth, a Stormbull Runelord, another Orlanthi warrior, and a hoplite that could maybe be a Lunar or from Sun County...

Offline Arkiegamer

• Student
  • Tim
    • Arkiegamer
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
Yes, Oh Lord of Death, I shall remedy my ways!

Offline MachinaMandala

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 05:51:03 PM »
Wow, that Stormbull is great. What's the base miniature?

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 05:54:24 PM »
Great photos, gorgeous setup! Don't know much about the setting, but it's cool with the ancient period elements in there.

Offline Arkiegamer

• Student
  • Tim
    • Arkiegamer
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 06:32:10 PM »
Thanks, guys.

MachinaMandala, the Stormbull is a Reaper figure sculpted by Mark Kay (02333: Orlath Hoarbeard). I didn't do any conversion, or anything, he just seemed to fit.

Ogrob - the setting, Glorantha, is a wonderfully messy mashup of myths and cultures, and yes, the ancient period elements definitely help make it cool.

Offline Duff

• Scientist
    • Duff Paint
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2018, 12:08:29 PM »
Great stuff. Don't forget the potential for kit bashing that plastic box sets give you. My Gloranthan stuff is on here if it gives any inspiration. http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=102468.msg1272145#msg1272145

Offline Arkiegamer

• Student
  • Tim
    • Arkiegamer
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2018, 01:11:51 PM »
Wow, what fantastic work, Duff!