Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:38:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Another AAR using Akulas Rules with added Mission and Event Cards  (Read 2056 times)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
We have given up on "Project Z" rules for our zombie games though we still use the figures.  We did this because we all found the bespoke dice and some of the mechanisms confusing.  So I had a look in the hard drive of the desktop PC - yep the one that was built for me on 2004!  It still runs though is has had a new video card and a new CD-ROM Drive fitted.  Anyway, on the hard drive was an old file folder entitled "Zombies" and in it was a set of Akula's two page zombie rules.  We have used these for a few months and never get tired of them  They, together with GWs "The Hobbit", are favourite games for grandad, the boys and their Uncle Al (a sergeant in the army).

Over the months we have tinkered with them by adding event cards and a few extra rules written down the umpire (grandad) to remind him of how we decided to do things.  The card driven sequence has not been changed at all.

Most of the games so far have not been photographed but this one has been.  The players are Aiden (age 7) and Callum (age 10).  Uncle Al played the Zombies and grandad was umpire.

The game uses two paper mats from the Mantic Mars Attacks game (if anyone has them as does not use them we would be most grateful to take them off your hands to expand the games.  PM me for anything about this game or anything else on the site.

The Forces:

The boys decided on their forces and each took a 4-man team of soldiers.  Callum had one with an RPG and Assault rifle, one with assault rifle and UGL and 2 light support weapons (LMGs), Aiden also took a team of 4 soldiers armed in the same way as Callum but with the RPG replaced by a sapper with demolition charges.

The Zombies had 4 spawn points (we place one spawn point for each team plus 2).  These were all placed along the main street.  In addition grandad threw 2d6 and got 8 so he placed 8 shambler zombies.  He then thre a d3 for Tank Zombies and got 1, and also a d3 for Fast Zombies and again got 1.  His throw of 5 on his next set up roll gave him one Liche.

The Mission:

To check all the buildings on Main Street and evacuate all survivors found there.

NOTE: There are no victory points for killing Zombies in this game.  It is simply that the boys win if they evacuate the survivors.  All survivors are randomly generated in one of out tweaks to the rules.

The recce drone observed progress:

Aiden went straight for the big house, breaking through a barricaded door (Sappers are good at that).  Inside was a female survivor armed with melee weapons who very nearly attacked the sapper.

Callum then rescued a survivor in the second house he checks.

The silent battle continued as Aiden moved down the right hand side of the Main Street rescuing two more survivors.  One had a chain saw!

On the other side of the Main Street, Callum rescued a large but unarmed man who was very pleased to see him.

All of a sudden a Mutant Tank Zombie saw Aiden's Fire Team and attacked.  It was met head on by the chainsaw weilding civilian and in two rounds of melee the Mutant Zombie was cut to pieces .

Callum cleared the rest of the buildings on the far side and doubled back dealing silently with several zombies and rescuing two more survivors.  

The noise of the chainsaw brought zombies from all sides towards Aiden's fire team and a rather one sided (but close) gun battle ensued as his soldiers operating in pairs cleared the last buildings on his side of the street.  In the battle the liche was killed ending his control of the zombie hordes.  

As this was taking place Callum entered the last compound and rescued 2 more survivors.  He sent his 2 LMGs upstairs to support Aiden.  And their combined firepower was unleashed on the zombies.

Callum starts his evacuation after a fight with a horde in which 2 survivors are lost.

Aiden back tracks his route with all of his survivors, fighting all the way.

Callum exits

Closely followed by Aiden
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:01:33 PM by dadlamassu »
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
Re: Evacuate the Survivors - AAR with Akulas Rules - Pic Heavy
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 11:21:11 PM »
Very awesome! I’ve been trying to recruit my grandsons into a game. Looks like some great fun was had.
I should be painting right now.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
Re: Evacuate the Survivors - AAR with Akulas Rules - Pic Heavy
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:36:32 PM »
Very awesome! I’ve been trying to recruit my grandsons into a game. Looks like some great fun was had.

Many thanks.  If they are "into" zombies then I highly recommend Akulas rules.  No doubt they could be used against any alien bugs, giant ants etc with minor modifications.

Incidentally they are equally good for solo games. 

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
Re: Another AAR using Akulas Rules with added Mission and Event Cards
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 07:27:39 PM »
For two late nights I have thought about and designed mission cards and event cards as we wanted to create a degree of uncertainty in the games.  I use a word template with 9 spaces per A4 Page this is ideal as they fit nicely into a laminator pocket and are still readable.  A good few hours produced 9 missions and 45 events.  And if anyone wants them just PM me your email address.  

Young Alan's Mission Card gave him a heavily armed group setting out to rescue other survivors while I drew a card with a minibus out of fuel and full of schoolgirls!  I need a name for the school.  

A few tasters and a link to the AAR on my website is below the photos.
Young Alan starts out

My girls search the alleys

An Event card - The "survivors" have either become zombies or been eaten

Another Card - attracting zombies!

And another!

Combat - Girls with hockey sticks are dangerous!

Bad luck!

Will the girls escape?

Anyway the game is on my website because there are a lot of photos.
  http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Zombies/Akulas%20Game%2002/Rescue%20and%20Fuel%20missions.htm
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:34:46 PM by dadlamassu »

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
Re: Another AAR using Akulas Rules with added Mission and Event Cards
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 10:28:52 PM »
Another wonderfully done game and great read! Keep them coming and as soon as I can get my young lads rounded up I will do my best to share as well.