Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:27:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Leviathans for Aeronef?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
Leviathans for Aeronef?
« on: January 05, 2018, 03:38:15 AM »
I'm not sure if this fits this subforum but it seemed the closest...

I've been wanting to play something like Aeronef for a long time now... I love the idea battling airships.
Anyway... on an egg nog-induced whim, I bought some boxes of those Leviathan's ships... not the actual game, just the ships. They were cheap.
But since there are only 3 models for each faction... and I've got no rules... I'm wondering if Brigade's Aeronef ships are at all in-scale with them?

I'm not sure what scale the Leviathan ships are meant to be... and the Brigade ships are quite nice.

I realize the era/style is a bit different... but it's not so much as to bother me, and I'd most likely be playing solo.
Any thoughts on what rules/figures might go well with my new plastic toys?

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
Re: Leviathans for Aeronef?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 04:52:28 AM »
No idea how the shops scale with Brigade but considering the small numbers involved i would suggest Imperial Skies by Robin Fitton.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »
TBH the rules for Levianthan are actually pretty good. You should be able to track down a copy of the core box for pretty cheap. Considering you will already have ships for it, a core box would be a worthwhile addition.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:47:33 AM »
Catalyst Games' Leviathans and Brigade Models' Aeronefs are both 1/1200 scale. So you can mix and match them easily and not have the models look out of scale with each other. I would suggest trying to track down a cheap copy of the Leviathans game (I can see copies on eBay for around £30), or go for Aeronef.

PDFs of the rules are only £5:
http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Aeronef/Rule%20Books.html

While you can get starter packs for the same price as Leviathans:
http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Aeronef/Starter%20Packs.html

(You can tell where my bias lies.)
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 03:09:32 AM »
Aeronefs and Leviathans are, indeed, built to the same scale, but totally different 'scale.'

The former are supposed to be relatively small, firing smaller weapons, appropriate for a new tech, while the Monsters in the Skies are JUST that. Dreadnought-esque.

Personally, I never got into the Leviathans rules, and though enjoying my games of IS, I still think I prefer the simplicity of Aeronef, with tweaks.

Oh, heck, none of them work for me as is... ;->=

I have a heck of a lot of Leviathans I could play, but having Brigade Models which are stat-ed to either 'nef or IS feels a better fit for the flexibility of play.

Doug

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 07:57:35 AM »
Hmmm... so you're saying the Leviathan's won't visually match well with the Brigade stuff?
Meh... I was excited to get some Aeronef stuff but then I noticed Brigade seems to be moving a lot of models to resin... and... I've got a 'thing' about resin... so now I'm less excited.
I need to get past my resin-phobia... maybe.

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 11:03:36 AM »
Sinuses
Brigade are moving to resin for their hulls, rest is white metal. I'm sure it will be a long time before the metal hulls are abandoned. I think you have plenty of time to get all metal ships. Only problem is that all the new designs will be resin and metal.
John

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 04:22:19 PM »
Hmmm... so you're saying the Leviathan's won't visually match well with the Brigade stuff?

Well, I think they'll match IF you're willing to use the 'nef as much smaller ships, and get over the fact they tend to be flatter.

The Leviathans are very limited as to number of models, though they get lots of renames.

On the whole, it's a huge YMMV.

I wasn't aware of Tony et al. going towards resin hull, so consider me not entirely in the loop...

Doug

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 05:04:53 PM »
Brigade's shifting toward using resin more often, but only on the larger pieces where it's a real cost saver.  The smaller stuff will probably always be metal, and the larger figs will generally be hybrids as new ones come out.

Offline Captain Gideon

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 03:52:12 PM »
One other reason is that the older molds are simply wearing out through constant use and they need to replace them which makes perfect sense to me.

I have many of the newer ships and like them very much although with some of the ships comparing them with their older counterparts is somewhat strange because they look totally different.

I'll give you an example I recently got their new French Carrier and since I have a few of the older designs I compared them and they look like night and day.

The older Carrier is long and skinny while the new Carrier is wider and much fuller than the old one also it looks like can hold more planes and it looks much better than the old one.

The older design was a pain in the ass to assemble since the ship's hull was in 2 pieces and could never fit just right while the new design is much better to work with.

Don't get me wrong I still like the older ship but I love the new ship but then with over 1,000 Aeronef minis in my collection I'm not complaining.

Michael

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 04:42:02 PM »
I second imperial skies. It seems to be the go to sky fleet game for many and i can see why, it seems the cleaner ruleset.

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 06:21:23 PM »

The older Carrier is long and skinny while the new Carrier is wider and much fuller than the old one also it looks like can hold more planes and it looks much better than the old one.

Thanks, Michael!

Sounds like the 'new' designs for the larger ships might well visually 'fit' better to the Leviathans. I will say I got that impression with the new French I've seen images of.

I still prefer the older designs for their 'first steps in a new medium' feel, but I've already played the YMMV card.  lol

I second imperial skies. It seems to be the go to sky fleet game for many and i can see why, it seems the cleaner ruleset.

I will say that Messers Blease et al have been mentioning an update to Aeronef, but haven't heard anything since IS came out.

Doug

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 07:58:09 AM »
Well I'm still holding out that Aquanef will be released one day!

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 05:35:59 PM »
Well I'm still holding out that Aquanef will be released one day!

We live in hope  :D
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 03:37:29 AM »
Just out of curiosity, have you seen Schild en Vriend's Aquazone? Not that I assume it's what you seek, but that it may have ideas you could use.

Aquazone

Doug