Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:01:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hellboy  (Read 15077 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: Hellboy
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2018, 06:51:52 AM »
All valid points, I agree.

I just feel like it's not really what KS was supposed to be, even if that's what it now is. I dunno.

Anyway, the minis look really nice and I they do well.  :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:55:12 AM by JollyBob »

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2018, 10:50:58 AM »

I just feel like it's not really what KS was supposed to be, even if that's what it now is. I dunno.

Anyway, the minis look really nice and I they do well.  :)

I agree. I think it is a poor business model for a company to use. It allows them to put all the risk on the consumer and take none of the chance themselves. Whatever happened to companies investing in research and development. Taking the time to get to know the customers. Now these companies put out a Kickstarter. if it doesn't succeed, they just do another one. And worst part in my opinion is that they continue to launch Kickstarters before they have delivered previous ones. I think Mantic has at least two that they haven't delivered yet and here they are starting a third. It feels like this is how they keep their company afloat. Not too mention what all these Kickstarters are doing to the retailers. I know a lot of stores won't even carry a product that was on Kickstarter because it just sits there because anyone who wanted it, already got it through the Kickstarter.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2018, 11:17:00 AM »

I also share this opinion,

besides, most of my buys are impulse ones. Impulse buys and kickstarter don't work together - usually when the miniatures arrive (after a couple of months or years) I'm no longer interested.
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2018, 12:15:50 PM »
I think it is a poor business model for a company to use. It allows them to put all the risk on the consumer and take none of the chance themselves.
A poor model for whom? In a pure capitalistic way it is almost zen in its perfection.

If you do not like the model, do not support it ^__^.

Whatever happened to companies investing in research and development.
Where is the return?

In the real world states have to offer incentives (normally tax breaks) for companies to undertake the research the company would use to make money in the future..
besides, most of my buys are impulse ones. Impulse buys and kickstarter don't work together - usually when the miniatures arrive (after a couple of months or years) I'm no longer interested.
I buy stuff, not always on impulse - I have only pre-ordered a couple of times (Dicestarters). Kickstarter is only of interest to see what might be.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:21:30 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2018, 09:09:56 PM »
A poor model for whom? In a pure capitalistic way it is almost zen in its perfection.

If you do not like the model, do not support it ^__^.
Where is the return?

In the real world states have to offer incentives (normally tax breaks) for companies to undertake the research the company would use to make money in the future..I buy stuff, not always on impulse - I have only pre-ordered a couple of times (Dicestarters). Kickstarter is only of interest to see what might be.

To each their own. I have only ever sponsored one Kickstarter. It was for a Ganesha games PDF and neoprene mat. They delivered in only a few months.

I just wonder how many people would feel the same if say Games Workshop decided to fund via Kickstarter. These are companies who have established brands and products. There should be no need for them to use Kickstarter every time they want to make a new version of their existing games. Invest your profits back into your business otherwise you will never grow your market share. A prime example of this is Mantic with the Walking Dead miniatures game. They ran a Kickstarter like two years ago. The Kickstarter was for a total of four waves of product after all the funding they received. They have now released all those waves to retail and guess what? They have yet to show anything new for the line. My guess that they probably will not either until they decide to do another Kickstarter for Walking Dead version 2.0.

IMHO running a company with a Kickstarter model is similar to people living paycheck to paycheck without any concern for their future.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2018, 12:09:50 AM »

I just wonder how many people would feel the same if say Games Workshop decided to fund via Kickstarter. These are companies who have established brands and products. There should be no need for them to use Kickstarter every time they want to make a new version of their existing games. Invest your profits back into your business otherwise you will never grow your market share. A prime example of this is Mantic with the Walking Dead miniatures game. They ran a Kickstarter like two years ago. The Kickstarter was for a total of four waves of product after all the funding they received. They have now released all those waves to retail and guess what? They have yet to show anything new for the line. My guess that they probably will not either until they decide to do another Kickstarter for Walking Dead version 2.0.

IMHO running a company with a Kickstarter model is similar to people living paycheck to paycheck without any concern for their future.

Well, many gamers tend to complain about everything GW does, but at least they do run a stable business with people getting regular paychecks.

On the other hand, I still think, it’s not the companies that are to blame or misuse Kickstarter, it’s as has ben said a capitalist dream. Getting paid for your investment before you actually produce anything. Well, we all would probably do the same and go to Kickstarter instead of risking our capital.

As long as the masses pledge, this won’t change. And to my surprise, boargames with minis regularly break the 1 million dollar barrier. That’s not too bad - even for Kickstarter. I mean, some rumors say, Monolith was satisfied with the 4.5 mio (!) they made with Batman but had hoped for nearly 8mio.
Just imagine...that’s a company that was more or less not existent befor their Conan KS.

So as I said above, we may like it or not, but this seems to be the new normal. And I really wonder when GW will tryit. I’m pretty sure they’re currently discussing the pros and cons heatedly!

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 07:06:57 PM »
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:08:44 PM by eMills »

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 11:42:20 PM »
Damn, I love those tiles. Mike Mignola is boss.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2018, 12:02:46 AM »
Backed. The Early Bird level is actually really good value, even converting for Australian dollars.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2018, 04:38:40 AM »
I’m on! Big Red and Mantic have a much better bundle than the latest Zombicide or the dubious Confrontation KS IMHO!

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2018, 06:34:24 AM »
They've included scale information, sort of:

I'd say they're 35mm'ish.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2018, 07:00:51 AM »
They've included scale information, sort of:

I'd say they're 35mm'ish.

Well, Big Red and Abe are shown to be larger than the average human in the comics afai remember, and the model to the right ist 32mm high (measured with base?). So my guess would be that they could fit well next to (slim) 28mm as well.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2018, 09:13:37 AM »
Oh yes the "Giant Frog Monster" and "Tentacle Monster", such memorable foes... but jokes aside, it's looking neat to me.  :)
Plus the Archives expansion seems to allow you to easily craft your own scenarios which is a definite plus in my eyes.

Though it could just be the way they're pictured the Nazis are looking a bit taller than the frog minions, is the any size comparison of them? Couldn't find any myself.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 10:52:14 AM »
Now if they would only deliver the other FOUR Kickstarters that they received funding for but have yet to complete. Oh and while they are at it how about furthering existing IPs. It is like what they plan for their Kickstarters is all they ever plan to do with something. I love their Walking Dead game. But nothing new has come out for that game that wasn't part of their Kickstarter. It is like they but all kinds of hype behind something up until it is Kickstarted and then they throw it aside.  Almost like the philosophy of "We got our money in advance, now let's move to something else. No need to put further effort behind this game unless we do another Kickstarter." Hard to support a company that continually uses Kickstarter. There comes a point when you either have brand recognition to stand on your own or you don't.

Offline necromorph

• Bookworm
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »
Urgh! I don't wanna admit it, but I'm backing it. I love Hellboy so much, but have zero faith in Mantic. Star Saga and Dreadball 2 in my opinion sucked something awful, and these were supposed to be improved editions of previous games. But at the Early Bird price, I guess it's worth a punt.

Plus side, they've gone with a freelancer and not their studio developers and fans to do the work this time this time, so fingers crossed.

I see Mantic as the new Mongoose...Get a licence, hype it, then move onto other things. I think they really want their own licences to shine, but to be honest, I've never seen them stocked in store, so grabbing a licence and Kickstartering the hell out of it is probably the thing that's keeping them going...Not sure what state they'd be in without The Walking Dead.