Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:49:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690464
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Color for desert/beach table?  (Read 4762 times)

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Color for desert/beach table?
« on: February 20, 2007, 10:25:53 AM »
I have my modular desert/beach table (for pirate/wild west games) almost finished.
The only problem is, I don't know what colour I should use.
I thought yellow would be good but it's too... well, yellow. :roll:
Maybe one of the Germans could advice me which colour (and from which brand) I could use?
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:51:15 AM »
Weeell... pure yellow is, indeed, too bright. I´d suggest using a basecoat mixed from yellow and white with just a touch of Siena Brown; this can be a bit darker. Then, drybrush up using lighter mixes of yellow/white/brown, and maybe a final, cloudy overspray using a sand spray bomb.

Offline poulppy

• Scientist
    • Flags
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 12:52:30 PM »
I think
Ocre yellow with bestial brown wash and Ocre Yellow + white drybrush will be OK.
* Miniatures diary at aleaminiatures.blogspot.fr/
* Flags banners blog at  https://flagspennonsandbanners.blogspot.com/
* My Other blog on Helmets : attenti

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 02:05:58 PM »
For my desert board, I used some cheap acrlyic from a company called Anita's, it's available from most of the local hobby/craft shops here.  They have a website here:

http://www.docrafts.co.uk/asp/products/?p=638

Starting with Earth Brown and then a thin coat of a paint helpfully called Sand.

The only downside was that I then needed to go repaint the bases of all my Wild West folks and African Explorers to match as it's a little lighter than the GW colours I'd used before.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 02:21:29 PM »
Quote from: "poulppy"
I think
Ocre yellow with bestial brown wash and Ocre Yellow + white drybrush will be OK.

I´d be careful with using washes on textured terrain, since it can easily dry rather patchy. Of course, that is not necessarily a bad thing if you want some variation.

Offline NetTerrain

• Assistant
    • http://www.netterrain.de
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 03:57:40 PM »
we used lightly textured spraypaint on our khemri stuff, in 2 colors, and then a light drybrush on top

lots of pics at http://www.netterrain.de/buildings/buildings_fantasy_undead_khemri.htm

or one here:

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 06:03:20 PM »
Quote from: "revford"
from a company called Anita's, it's available from most of the local hobby/craft shops here.

Haha! That's why I wanted to know some brands from Germany in the first place. I know there's a lot of great stuff available in the UK (and in the USA) that I just can't find anywhere in Germany.

My biggest problem is, I wanted to use as few different colors (not much mixing my own color) as possible, to keep the color easily reproducible.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 06:08:10 PM »
For Terrain modelling, I (almost exclusively) use "Akademie Acryl Color", manufactured by Schmincke, and available from the "Idee Kreativmarkt" chain.  They come in 250ml bottles, and are rather thick, so by diluting with water (unless you wish to drybrush them), you get an enormous yield from one bottle. Cost is around 5-6 Euros a bottle, but the same amount of, say Vallejo acrylics, would cost 36 Euros and would not nearly last as long.

Offline NetTerrain

• Assistant
    • http://www.netterrain.de
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 08:32:21 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
For Terrain modelling, I (almost exclusively) use "Akademie Acryl Color", manufactured by Schmincke, and available from the "Idee Kreativmarkt" chain.  They come in 250ml bottles, and are rather thick, so by diluting with water (unless you wish to drybrush them), you get an enormous yield from one bottle. Cost is around 5-6 Euros a bottle, but the same amount of, say Vallejo acrylics, would cost 36 Euros and would not nearly last as long.

I sometimes use the Schmincke colors, too. Dillute them with "Erdal Glänzer Strapazierglanz", a 1000ml bottle for the unbelievable price of like 5 Euro or something. That is pretty much the german equivalent to the infamous Future Floor Finish medium (see also http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html )

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 10:49:11 PM »
Modelcolors from Vallejo has "Iraqi Sand" and "Sand - Arena" colors. I always have enough bottles of these in my paint box.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 09:40:42 PM »
Quote from: "WitchfinderGeneral"
Haha! That's why I wanted to know some brands from Germany in the first place. I know there's a lot of great stuff available in the UK (and in the USA) that I just can't find anywhere in Germany.

Ah, I see, all is clear to me now.  Sorry about giving you a false lead there.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 03:46:50 PM »
I'm using this one from Hornbach to make the underground color. 250ml bottle, enough to cover ca. 2-2,5 m2

After that brushing Plaka Yellow Ochre and Plaka Sand