Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:22:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Samurai Village buildings  (Read 7033 times)

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
(COMMERCIAL) Samurai Village buildings
« on: January 09, 2018, 10:35:11 AM »
Hi guys,

I have started working on my upcoming Samurai Village paper model set. This is a first look at the first building. How do you like it? Does is capture the essence of that era?

It is not weathered yet, so that will be added soon and then I want to make a couple of color and texture variations that you can build a village with just this one building alone. And then I will add some more building elements for more variety :-)

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:40:34 AM by Papierschnitzel »

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Samurai Village buildings
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 11:14:28 AM »
As i said before in several occasions, i find this kind of models FAR more interesting than MDF buildings. Bravo!

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:23:41 PM »
As i said before in several occasions, i find this kind of models FAR more interesting than MDF buildings. Bravo!

Every material has its pro and cons. Paper models, you don't have to paint them and they are quite affordable. And you can make as many as you want!

But I have seen amazing MDF buildings too and you can paint them any way you want  :D

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 12:02:43 AM »
Looks as good as your other models. Printed stuff tends to be looked down on but I really don't know why. Some of the best modelling was on this board a couple of years ago, the guy had used paper texture but in 3D. His results were stunning, some thought his initial pics were real, myself included.
Someone then suggested he was cheating using print rather than paint! It may have been a tongue in cheek comment though, but really!

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 06:58:30 AM »
I focus on designing the sets I make so that they can be built easy and fast.

But you can always improve them with more details. For example with this house you could print the walls a second time, cut out the clay wall area, mount it on stronger cardboard and then glue it on the wall. That way you have "real" looking 3D framework. This is called doubling up.

Same for the roof. You could double up the top roof wood area and then the single (vertical) logs and again make it look more real.

It all depends on how far you want to go!

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 07:42:30 AM »
So with the first part of the Samurai Builder series nearing completion I wanted to try out how a little village would look with just the one building type (plus optional lean-to) but with many, many, many print options. I did a quick math and it's almost 1000 variations!

I think the buildings look quite unique, no? And only took about 3-4 hours to print and assemble  :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »
I focus on designing the sets I make so that they can be built easy and fast.

But you can always improve them with more details. For example with this house you could print the walls a second time, cut out the clay wall area, mount it on stronger cardboard and then glue it on the wall. That way you have "real" looking 3D framework. This is called doubling up.

Same for the roof. You could double up the top roof wood area and then the single (vertical) logs and again make it look more real.

It all depends on how far you want to go!

Meticulous, outstanding and inspiring job! Congratulations! Thank you for sharing!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:34:07 AM by DintheDin »
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 08:55:33 PM »
Thank you DintheDin! Very kind of you,
Chris

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 12:24:54 AM »
Outstanding! Those are really nice.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 08:09:00 PM »
More WIP pics. I have added a couple of options for the walls, plants and tools. With all optional print layers you can combine you have more than 100.000 options of unique skins.

You can see an overview of some of the options here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/wall-details-16559233

I'll build a couple of new buildings soon and can then show an updated view of the village!

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 07:07:30 PM »
Very interesting :D

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 08:23:07 PM »
Very nice.
I'm a fan of paper terrain and I really like what I'm seeing here.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 10:05:24 AM »
Thank you guys. I have a little more to show before my Patreon release. I have been working on the fold-flat adaptions so you can assemble/disassemble the houses for easy storage and safe transport. I was not sure how the roof would work out but actually it was a success.

I think you cannot see much difference to the regular build. The fold flat piece are made out of three layers, outside, middle and interior, and when using reasonably heavy cardbaord (200-300gsm) you end up with parts almost close to MDF  :) They are very sturdy and due to their weight, they don't feel like paper toys in your hand.

If you want you can also build an interior ...

And this is what a disassembled house looks like, walls and roof. Nice flat and all.

BTW if you are interested in getting this you might want to join in time on my Patreon for the release. Go visit https://www.patreon.com/papierschnitzel for more info. If not, no worries, I will release it later on the regular channels  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:09:25 AM by Papierschnitzel »

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
Very nice product.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 07:09:29 PM »