Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690748
  • Total Topics: 118345
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Spaceport On The Rim Of The Verse/lot of pictures  (Read 6029 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
28mm Spaceport On The Rim Of The Verse/lot of pictures
« on: January 10, 2018, 03:58:21 AM »
The defining factors in the look of this collection center on three movies (one of which began as a TV series): Firefly/Serenity, Star Wars/A New Hope, and Blade Runner.  The idea to focus this collection around a spaceport on the rim of the Verse came from the pilot episode for Firefly and a place called Eavesdown Docks on the planet of Persephone.  It is a place that is a mix of peoples and cultures.  The diorama style gallery that grew out of this is built on two 5 ft. x 7 ft. tables… one the commercial docking area, open-air market and town and the second the associated military base.  The collection also includes two interiors: a spaceship interior and a cantina.  I’ve provided some sample pictures in the hope that they will encourage you to go to my website and see the entire gallery (113 pictures).  If you decide to click on the link I have provided, it will take you to my gallery page.  Once there scroll down the page.  Each of my galleries is identified by a picture and a title.  Since this is my most recent gallery, it will be the last gallery on the page.  The process of scrolling down the page will take you only a couple of seconds, and I hope will provide you with a great deal of entertainment.  You can check it out at www.warin15mm.com

0038 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr0031 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr0052 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr0076 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr0098 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Offline Aquamarine

• Bookworm
Re: 28mm Spaceport On The Rim Of The Verse/lot of pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 05:02:36 AM »
This is really amazing and all the different pieces were brought together superbly. It is a real eye treat and l will be visiting this page often.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 07:31:28 AM »
Wow, this is great!

I thought that terrain like this only were possible in 15 mm!

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 07:32:14 AM »
Absolutely fantastic! I know I'm going to have to go back and look at this gallery again and again.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 09:29:26 AM »
Wow, nice scenery.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 09:49:32 AM »
Great work! So much stuff to see!

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
AWESOME!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I was considering using that Galactic Heroes Millennium Falcon in our STAR WARS games...  Did you make the ship's interior?

That Cantina is PERFECT! Well, almost... could have more Twi'lek dancers!  :D 

Again: AWESOME as usual!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:39:18 AM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 12:46:26 PM »
This was great! I have been looking forward to seeing this project finished Richard. I will have to have several more scrolls through the gallery , there is too much to take in at once.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 04:03:46 PM »
Nothing less than superb. All the little details in that gallery are brilliant.

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 04:17:00 PM »
Every photo tells another little story. It's not just an assemblage of models, but a living, breathing spaceport. Congratulations on your creation and your creativity!

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 05:56:10 PM »
Great work, so much to look at.  I especially love your trade stalls.  ARe they scratchbuilt?

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 06:53:01 PM »
Very impressive setting.
One could really get lost in such an elaborate spaceport.

Offline airbornegrove26

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 10:04:10 PM »
Wow! This is a really great project.  ;)  Looking forward to more.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 06:45:07 AM »
Great collection of figures and terrain. There's some fantastic little vignettes there. I particularly like the painter.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 05:24:35 PM »
First let me thank those of you who took the time to write.  Your generous comments are much appreciated.  I always have a great time putting these collections together.  They usually involve many years of collecting and many months of painting, repurposing and building.  Given that it is safe to say that I love these projects, and I'm probably a little nuts.  But whether proud or nuts or both it is great to hear back from people in the hobby who have enjoyed the completed work.  This is the first project I have done that I attempted to post regular progress pictures of the work.  Those posting are on another posting on the Future Wars page.  Most of those pictures were blacked out by Photobucket, and I am now in the process of bringing them back to life on that other posting.  I hope you will check that out in a few days when most or all the pictures are reinstated.  Once again, thank you for writing and for the very kind words.  I'm very happy that some of you have indicated that you will be visiting the Spaceport Gallery a few more time. 

dinohunterpoa, the spaceship's interior is different from previous interiors I have done.  Normally, I build the interiors completely from scratch using JTT and Evergreen Plastics as the key building materials.  In this case the rooms and walls of the spaceship are manufacture made by JR Miniatures.  I was lucky to have picked them up several years ago when the rooms were still available.  It appears that today only wall section are still sold.  The hallway floors and the floor in the cargo hold are JTT Plastic.  I give a pretty full accounting of where the furnishing come from in the write up to the right of the gallery pictures.

Oldben1, the trade stalls are repurposed and modified pieces taken from the Action Fleet Mos Espa Market.  Over the years I was extremely lucky to find about five or six of these at the swap meet for just a couple dollars each.  The repurposing involved making them a little taller.  They are short for 28mm without some work.  Really all I did to accomplish the new height is to set the original trade stalls on Legos and covered the Legos with JTT plastic.  I'm glad you like them.  They're unique and kind of crazy fun pieces.