Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:18:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691062
  • Total Topics: 118368
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Clausewitz's history of Napoleon's 1796 campaign in Italy  (Read 4757 times)

Online ChrisBBB

• Scientist
Clausewitz's history of Napoleon's 1796 campaign in Italy
« on: January 10, 2018, 07:35:17 PM »
I am excited to announce the impending publication of the first ever English edition of Carl von Clausewitz's "Feldzug von 1796 in Italien" – Napoleon's 1796 campaign in Italy.

The 1796 campaign is the one in which Napoleon first established his glorious reputation, including famous battles such as Lodi, Castiglione, Arcole and Rivoli. Clausewitz is one of the most eminent of military theorists. In his history of the 1796 campaign he does not simply describe its events but analyses them and the generals' decisions according to his strategic principles. The work provides great insight not only into the historical events but also into the evolution of Clausewitz's strategic thinking.

I and Professor Nicholas Murray of the US Naval War College have translated the work into English for the first time and added commentary and maps to create an annotated edition. We are honoured that Professor Dennis Showalter has agreed to write the Foreword. The book will be published in fall 2018 by the University Press of Kansas.

As soon as a catalog entry is available I will post it here. Meanwhile, anyone wishing to be alerted by University Press of Kansas when they are ready to take orders for the book should go to their website and sign up for their e-newsletter:
https://kansaspress.ku.edu/newsletter

I have also been creating operational-level, stripped-down BBB scenarios to accompany the book. These offer another level of insight again. They can be found in the files of the BBB Yahoo group.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
Re: Clausewitz's history of Napoleon's 1796 campaign in Italy
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 08:06:13 PM »
That's great news Chris. Ill keep my eyes out for that

Tim

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:14:03 PM »
I look forward to the book.
Have always been interested in this period.
Semper Fi, Mac

Online ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 01:02:02 PM »
I am delighted to report that our annotated translation of Clausewitz's history of Napoleon's famous first campaign is now published:
https://www.amazon.com/Napoleons-1796-Italian-Campaign-Clausewitz/dp/0700626751/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536769755&sr=1-1&keywords=murray+pringle&dpID=31oy%252Bsit5jL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Eminent historian Dr Robert Citino has kindly written this terrific endorsement of the book:

"Interested in Clausewitz but lack the stomach (and the Sitzfleisch) for On War? Here is the antidote, one of the Prussian sage's more snackable historical works. Napoleon's 1796 Italian Campaign has it all: flash campaign narrative, deep analysis, and snide remarks about Jomini. Murray and Pringle are erudite commentators and smooth translators. A volume for novice and expert alike." — Robert M. Citino, author of The Wehrmacht's Last Stand: The German Campaigns of 1944–1945.

I have also created a set of operational-level, stripped-down BBB scenarios to accompany the book. These offer another level of insight again. They can be found in the files of the BBB Yahoo group (albeit the last few not yet playtested):

We hope you will enjoy our work.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 03:53:11 AM »
Great news! Our club, the Corlears Hook Fencibles, have played most of the scenarios and enjoyed them. One of these days we'll revisit them. I must have a copy of this book.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 01:21:34 PM »
I came home Wednesday night to find mine waiting on the doorstep. Well, the package was waiting, anyway. Unfortunately the shipping envelope was ripped open and only the invoice was inside. That's about the level of service I've come to expect from the local UPS drivers. I've contacted KU Press and I'm sure it will be resolved, but damn I was really looking forward to diving into the book this weekend!

Online ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 03:48:12 PM »
Aaron, really sorry to hear about your misfortune! Apparently Amazon has sold out already (the book's been in their top 10 bestsellers in its subcategory for most of this week) and is now quoting 1 to 3 months for backorders. There is evidently a lot of demand - maybe some other frustrated would-be reader stole your copy??

I hope UKP or UPS will make it good and you will get to enjoy it before too long.

Chris

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 05:03:34 PM »
Chris,

UKP responded very quickly and let me know a replacement is on the way. I'm really looking forward to it.

Aaron

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 06:18:43 PM »
Stealing a copy of Clausewitz? Is nothing sacred?

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 02:20:25 PM »
My replacement copy turned up last night. It is a great looking book. I haven't gotten too far in yet, but at first glance it looks like a great read. Well footnoted too, which I always appreciate.

In the note on wargaming you mention a game Mr. Murray developed on the campaign. Is this commercially available?

Aaron

Online ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »
Hi Aaron, glad you like the book so far. Thanks for your interest in Professor Murray's Po Valley wargame. Right now the game is only available for internal use within the US military education system. However, Nick is polishing up a final re-write for this year's class, after which he expects to make it freely available via the BBB Yahoo group in the New Year:

Chris

Online ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 12:35:19 PM »
PS Nick asked me to mention that the Po Valley game is an unconventional game in one important respect, in that it is in no way designed to be balanced. That said, the game has been won by each of the three protagonists at one time or another.

Chris

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 01:18:08 PM »
Thanks Chris. I'm finding this much more enjoyable reading than "On War". I think it is a combination of the writing style Clausewitz used and the translation that are bringing it to life for me.

I have Vae Victus' "Montenotte 1796" which covers events from 11-24 April at the brigade and division level. I suppose that will have to tide me over until Professor Murray's game becomes available. I've got quite a bit of French and Austrian troops from Eureka's "Wars of the French Revolution" line painted up so I really should track down a copy of BBB and give that a spin as well!

Aaron

Online ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 04:16:05 PM »
Interesting, I hadn't seen the Vae Victis "Montenotte 1796" game. Thanks for tipping me off.

I encourage you to look at Vincent's blog. As he mentioned above, his group have played half a dozen of the operational-level BBB 1796 games. The first report is here:
http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/2018/01/young-bonapartes-debut-dego-1796.html

If that tempts you to dabble in BBB to get your Eureka figures on the table I will be very happy!

Chris

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 06:19:36 PM »
Postman just delivered my copy. But I have to go out and take care of real life errands first. Drat.

Edit: I started reading and note that Clausewitz wastes no time in dishing Jomini, no doubt starting a long tradition of Napoleonic writers trashing each other.

Edit II: I have just completed the Bridge at Lodi, quite a good cracking read. The main text includes the battle action of French against Austrian, while the footnotes crackle with Clausewitz vs. Jomini and volleys from Colin.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:57:39 PM by vtsaogames »