Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:19:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: TFTB & CF Sleepy Hollow & Tarrytown Buildings (Killian WIP)  (Read 17933 times)

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: TFTB 28mm Sleepy Hollow Buildings
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 09:07:20 PM »
Modelling skills are indeed being applied =^,^=

I'll be writing up a full tutorial on each kit as I finish them.  Starting with the Bridge.  The trouble in Sleepy Hollow always begins at the Bridge!

Work is nearly finished, construction, painting, and all ground detailing* are done; just needs shingling now.

I added a beam along the peak of the roof and filed in the sag in the center, then added 1/32" balsa wood sheet to give some sway, and filed the seam line down to a very fine join.

* The rocks at the edge of the water were gathered from the Pocantico River this past Halloween when we went on a Holiday trip and foliage recon tour.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Re: TFTB 28mm Sleepy Hollow Buildings
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 06:24:18 PM »
Writing up the tutorials for the builds won't begin til sometime after Huzzah! in May.  Still frantically modelling and painting as much as I can for the con.  Meanwhile, here's a few photos of the Covered Bridge and the Van Allen House.

There's one architectural detail for the Van Allen House that I will retrofit after Huzzah.  As I was studying the original for the shape of the sag, that's when I noticed that the bottom half of the chimney should flare out and down to either side.  But as the stock chimney was already completed at that time, that will be good enough to get me through next month's convention.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:50:24 PM by Cat »

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Just finished up the Livery Stable.  The chipboard roof panels that come with the kits lend themselves very nicely to working in the sags and the sways.  The individual shingle strips make the artistic process entirely possible.

Making this roof screen-accurate was more involved than the others because it separates in the middle of the complex joins!  I used flat and angled strips of styrene to make capping pieces to fit the joins.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:50:57 PM by Cat »

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
You’ve done an excellent Job on those.   Very nice.
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Panama

• Scientist
Wonderful stuff can't wait to see more  :)

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Re: TFTB Sleepy Hollow Buildings (Huzzah! added 22-May-2018)
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 02:10:49 PM »
First big trip for Sleepy Hollow and Donnybrook FIW game at Huzzah! this past weekend.  The game was a lot of fun, the set is coming along nicely.  The Church still needs shingling and a scenic base, and a number of proxy buildings are filling in while construction proceeds.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Re: TFTB Sleepy Hollow Buildings (Huzzah! 22/5)
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 02:29:33 PM »
Other scenery is also progressing.  The corn fields are underway, using JTT scenery O Scale corn, painting light green and bright tan highlights on the stock corn before planting.

And the Western Woods are begun too.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 02:32:31 PM by Cat »

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Re: TFTB Sleepy Hollow Buildings (Huzzah! 22/5)
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2020, 04:19:04 PM »
After a two year hiatus, it's time to return to Sleepy Hollow.  After the long work focus getting it ready for Huzzah 2018, I switched to other projects after the convention.  Back on the workbench now.

First up is the final roof upgrade for the Van Allen House.  I didn't have time to add the flare to the base of the chimney before the con.

Started by steeling my nerves to cut holes in the finished roof to make slots where the new chimney wings would fit. Made the new wings out of sheet styrene, and carved the brick courses to match those on the main chimney. Painted these to match the existing brickwork, glued in place, puttied the joints, and blended in the painting and weathering.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: TFTB Sleepy Hollow Buildings (Van Allen Chimney Upgrade)
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2020, 10:47:14 PM »
I missed this the first time, very nice work. I think that the recent chimney improvements really works.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2020, 09:07:06 AM »
having also missed this first time 'round, great to see the project going again. Lovely modelling.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2020, 04:47:15 PM »
In the final few weeks before Huzzah 2018, I knew I wasn't going to have time to finish detailing the church roof; it was time to crank up painting on figures, other terrain bits, and prepping game aids. As can be seen in the game photos earlier in this thread, the main body of the church was completed, and the structural work done on the fancied up steeple roof. But the roofs were all just spray painted in dark primer grey to be reasonably table ready.

Getting back to the work now, I've completed all the detailing prep work for the roof. Carved and filed the top roof beam down from its original blocky shape to match the slope of the roof sides and cut off the extended beam ends. Also carved in the slight sag at the peak to match the movie church.

Added the flared out base to the bell tower around the original kit's simple rectangular tower. Widened the ledge at the top of the tower.  Fascia boards added to the ends of all the gables. Studying the movie church, there are no discernible rakes running the length of the lower roof edges, so the fascia is all the trim work that is needed.

As with all the other buildings, coloured the shingle strips with Prisma Color markers and included some blues because all of the movie is heavily filtered. The colouring will be toned down and blended together with heavy weathering after assembly. The bell tower has much much darker shingling than the main roof.

Like the rest of Sleepy Hollow, something's not quite right in this church!

Inside detailing had been completed in time for Huzzah.  For the stained glass window, I simply painted the insides of the window frames to show the big red cross.  Then to paint window frame shadows and light beams, I shined a bright light through the window and marked out the lines to be painted with pencil on the floor and the raised pulpit. 

There are a few pews to go in too, but those are just for candy when the roof is opened, they need to be pulled out to have any room to move figures around inside.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: TFTB Sleepy Hollow Buildings (Church Roof Progress)
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2020, 04:55:20 PM »
Great stuff  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2020, 05:37:27 PM »
The buildings are all really great. Top job  8)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2020, 02:57:34 AM »
The whole project is wonderful but the buildings are really exceptional.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2020, 03:05:14 AM »
Lovely work!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.