Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:35:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rustish-Color for Imperial Speeder Bike  (Read 1048 times)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
Rustish-Color for Imperial Speeder Bike
« on: June 04, 2018, 10:43:33 PM »
Does anyone have a paint suggestion for that red/rust color of the Imperial Speeder Bikes?

I just got the Legion starter set.  Lots of good minis.

On that note, I'll never play the actual game, so if anyone (preferably nearby - SF Bay Area) would like the cards and stuff, please let me know.

I could mail abroad, too, of course.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Re: Rustish-Color for Imperial Speeder Bike
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 04:17:30 AM »
When I painted my Speeder Bikes I used Vallejo Chocolate Brown for the body color. To my eye it looks like a warm brown rather then a rust color, but many people see it differently.

Offline hemble

• Bookworm
    • HembleCreations
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 07:06:49 AM »
I paint them with a dark brown then dry brush with beige brown then a was of GW AGRAX Earthshade

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 07:37:47 AM »
Vallejo English Uniform for a warmer tone, or Khaki-Grey for a lighter finish would both work well.

I had to make a few scale model versions of these in the past and inspected some original props etc. back then. To my eye the colour was very much a super-matte camoflage finish rather than oxidisation or rust. Weathering was very light and wear/chipping was down to a bare steel finish which reinforced the impression that the brown is a painted layer rather than ageing.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 04:17:22 PM »
Great responses, thanks!

I meant a rust-brown-color as opposed to a rusted color, if that makes sense.  :-)

I'll try some of these combos on some practice models and then put them on the speeder bikes.

I still am flabbergasted by how the more recent movies have race scenes where the camera is on the driver more than facing forward on the vehicle, showing the driver's-eye-view.  That was a big part of the thrill for me with those speeder bikes on Endor.  But, I digress....

Right now, my little boy and I are working on the Legions AT-ST.  Just did a first oil/black wash on the assembled walker this morning.  Barely got the kids to school on time - barely.

He is so thrilled.  It's going to be hard to give it to him... I want it, too...  :D :D :D :D