Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:48:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My late medieval army; the WOTR bit  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
My late medieval army; the WOTR bit
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:55:21 PM »
After having been painting on my late medieval army for the better part of five years, I finally think it’s about time to show it to the people outside my basement gamingroom. The army started with the release of the Perry twins WOTR infantry boxset. I never really planned a WOTR army or any medieval army for that matter, but the miniatures were so fine that I just had to have them. The painting continued with the release of their mercenary infantry, but after having over one hundred bow and bill armed warriors I still hadn’t based any of them as I didn’t know what I wanted to use them fore. I them found an article in WI 299 by Simon MacDowall from Legio Wargames, and I liked his ruleset and the way the miniatures where based, so I decided to go with that. 6X4 bases with six billmen and fore archers to a base. I actually never played the game, but the basingsystem has proven most flexible, and I use for all the games we play now. (Hail Caesar, Impetus, To the Strongest, Field of Glory and Lions Rampant).

After a couple of year I fell over Michael Lecks blog, Dalaruppror, and finally my army had a purpose. To play medieval Scandinavian battles (I am from Denmark by the way). Both the union war with Sweden but also Denmarks many battles with the Hanseatic cities and the duchy of Holstein over control of the southern part of Denmark as well as the peasant uprisings in Denmark. The only problem was that I now needed lots of crossbows and absolutely no bows (apart from maybe a few Norwegian armed peasants ;)).

So with this flaming vision I set of on a quest that I am still following today (partly on account of those wicked twins continued production of beautiful medieval plastic models ;)).

First of are some of my first WOTR units.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Neunfinger

• Scientist
Re: My late medieval army; the WOTR bit
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 10:50:12 PM »
Great looking models, very nice and clean painting  :)

I can relate well to your army's origin story - when I first saw the Perry plastic boxes I knew I wanted them. I didn't know for what, but the models just look great, are cheap and fun to build and paint.

I wish you good luck for your project and look forward to seeing your progress. 

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:02:34 PM »
Impressive looking mini's I'll be interested to see how your Danes look
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 08:14:04 AM »
That’s some very nice armour you’ve painted.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 12:04:59 PM »
Very nice! Looking forward to seeing the rest of them!

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 08:15:40 PM »
Thank you for the kind remarks. The armour was painting following a paintingguide from WI 299.

All my models are painted in units of 20, with two bases of shote and two bases of HtH combat units or in case of the mixed units just four bases. I mostly use then in units of two or three bases, so the four base bit is just logistical  :).

I am struggling with getting decent photos of my units for this forum, so here are one more of my WOTR units for you to judge.

Ideas and comments are very welcome.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Neunfinger

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 09:49:24 PM »
Great painting, the freehand on the commander is magnificent.

Regarding the quality of your pictures, I think they are perfectly fine. Since I struggle with the camera myself I can't be too helpful but I find that two lightbulbs with about 1000 Lumen and 5000 K help.
I also have a link for a tutorial, but since it's in German I'm not sure if it helps:
https://www.magabotato.de/blog/item/tutorial-figuren-fotografieren-fuer-einsteiger

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 09:02:51 AM »
Great looking army!

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 02:22:50 PM »
As mentioned in my first post, my army took a turn away from WOTR towards Scandinavian warfare after discovering the Dalauppror blog. That meant more crossbows and pikes.

The reed brick banner on the first unit is from the noblemen Henrik Reventlow who led a rebelion against the king i 1441. The second unit is Saxon mercenaries (though with burgundian pavise transfers  :D)

These are Perry metal figures, Italian I think.

These are 1. Corps latemedieval infantry. I really like these models and think they fit my image of late medieval Scandinavia perfectly.

Some artillery. They usually dont do much damage but they look (and sound) fantastic. Probably as in real 15th century battles.

The Bombard has never participated in any battles except for being objective once, but I just couldn't resist buying the model when it came out.

My army will be attemding Tactica this year when we replay the rebelion of 1441 in three different scenarios over the weekend. So those of you with an interest in medieval Scandinavia dont be shy.

COME AND JOIN IN!

Cheers
Erik

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 10:25:06 PM »
Excellent!

Offline Neunfinger

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 01:44:54 AM »
Again, very nice painting. I see you took upon yourself the extra work of painting the eyes of the minis - cudos for that, I'm usually to lazy to do this. Great work, keep it up.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 08:06:34 AM »
They look great! Very nice collection you have! Eager to see them in a game!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi