Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:43:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690590
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 687
Total: 691

Recent

Author Topic: Blitzfreeze released!  (Read 1206 times)

Offline TheWanderer

• Student
Blitzfreeze released!
« on: January 14, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »
Army Group North is in full retreat. Overloaded trucks and tanks stream towards the Panther Line, with columns of dejected landsers trudging in their wake.

The offensive launched in December ‘43 shattered the Wehrmacht’s tenuous hold on the city and allowed the Red Army to relieve the city’s emaciated inhabitants.

Abandoning tonnes of military materiel, the crippled Army Group North races for the battered remains of the Panther Line at Narva. Blitzfreeze pits your band of half-starved, bone-tired veterans against the elements and the encroaching Red Army in a battle for survival that can only have one winner.

Blitzfreeze is a narrative campaign expansion for Five Men in Normandy, building on the fantastically successful combat mechanics to give players the tools to create narratives worthy of the silver screen.

Players will take command of a desperate band of unlikely heroes against the encroaching Red Army and the bone-chilling winter weather.

Down to your last pack of iron rations, with half your squad ready to drop from exhaustion? Better trade some bullets for food and hope you’ve got enough rounds to make it through the next battle.

Heroic veteran sergeant with a bullet in his leg slowing you down? Cut him loose and divide his gear between the survivors.

Every man ready to drop after a bitter brawl with some hulking Siberians? Order most of your men to lay up and hope the remainder can survive the next battle.

Blitzfreeze is a game of tough decisions where your tactical choices have ramifications that affect the whole campaign.

I’ve written a blog post on the character creation, check it out here: https://wanderer.productions/2018/01/07/blitzfreeze-character-creation/

You can buy Blitzfreeze here: http://www.wargamevault.com/product/231260/Blitzfreeze–a-Five-Men-in-Normandy-campaign-supplement?src=newest_recent

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Blitzfreeze released!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 01:58:36 PM »
Oh wow, that's kind of a cool idea. Could even use this to represent the U.N. retreats when the Chinese entered thr Korean war.
Or a recreation of French paratroopers or a local garrison like in the movie "the 317 platoons" despite struggle to get back to French lines in Indo-china. With a little bit of tinkering that is.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline TheWanderer

• Student
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 02:00:34 PM »
I've been kicking around conversions for other periods and the Korean War fits pretty nicely. Similarly debilitating environmental conditions combined with a pretty desperate retreat back to friendly lines.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 02:08:46 PM »
I've been kicking around conversions for other periods and the Korean War fits pretty nicely. Similarly debilitating environmental conditions combined with a pretty desperate retreat back to friendly lines.
Would be dead simple, U.S. forces, ROK troops, or any one of the other U.N. contingents pulling desperate rearguard actions while trying their best to not get encircled or have on of their members big out and put every one else at risk.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 02:16:38 PM »
Oh wow, that's kind of a cool idea. Could even use this to represent the U.N. retreats when the Chinese entered thr Korean war.
Or a recreation of French paratroopers or a local garrison like in the movie "the 317 platoons" despite struggle to get back to French lines in Indo-china. With a little bit of tinkering that is.

Or a group of space suited soldiers on an inhospitable planet running out of air being pursued by their alien enemies after a sortie that went wrong...
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline TheWanderer

• Student
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 03:11:05 PM »
I think the resource management stuff transfers pretty well - this sorta thing has more in common with video games like Darkest Dungeon and XCOM than other tabletop wargames I've seen.

Offline TheWanderer

• Student
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 12:09:01 AM »
http://wanderer.productions/2018/01/19/blitzfreeze-campaign-turn/

I've written a walkthrough of the campaign turn, to show you guys how it works.

Offline TheWanderer

• Student
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 10:24:01 PM »
I've updated the game with a couple of new items and some quality of life improvements. Make sure you check them out.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 07:50:23 AM »
I don't know the system, but from the description, and the suggestions for different settings, it sounds like this would also work for some weird war shenanigans. Think The Bunker, The Keep or Dead Snow...

At least, the resource management remarks suggest it would :)

Sounds like a fun system at any rate...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 08:51:32 AM »
Never heard of the system before but this got me very interested!  ;D