Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:12:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: how compatible are woodbine ww1 indians and foundry darkest africa askari?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline summsi

• Librarian
I want to use them for ww1 east africa

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
They should be fine. Both are 25mm. I don't have the specific Foundry figures you mention but other Foundry figures I have are compatible with the Woodbine figures that I have.

Robert

Offline Infman

• Bookworm
Here’s a Woodbine Australian and a Foundry Askari.

I hadn’t thought to use the woodbine Indians but I will now. They are a very close fit proportion wise in my opinion.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:06:54 AM by Infman »

Offline summsi

• Librarian
after this picture I think they belong to the same range. they really look like being absolutly compatible!!!

Thank you

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
I think you can happily use them in the same games, perhaps not on the same base, Copplestone sculpts chunkier figures but they would certainly work.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline summsi

• Librarian
Looking at the picture I don't know why I should not use them together. Even on the same base.

Offline Infman

• Bookworm
I purchased some Eureka and some Copplestone sailors in sennet hats to use for Congo and found the Eureka a little bit small, the Copplestone a little bit big and it looks as though the Woodbine will be just right!

They’re all so close but to my eye the Woodbine and Foundry are the closest match even though I’ll use the others in the same units but maybe not the same base.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
I use both for East Africa, the Foundry ones are quite a bit chunkier, they are both lovely just my personal preference would be to keep them is separate units. I am sure they would look just fine mixed.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Not sure what unit would contain both types, to be honest, so I don't see how that problem would arise.

Anyway, here's my contribution:

The Woodbines are more slender, and maybe a bit shorter, but I would use them on the same table. The figure on the right is sold as a Gurkha, but he has been converted into a Kashmiri (he doesn't look like a Gurkha but he could still be one, as there were lots of them in the Jammu and Kashmir Rifles), and I don't think the bodies of their Indians and Gurkhas are all that different, size-wise.

Edited for spelling mistake.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:31:19 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
I take it back!

Looking at this picture the left two are Foundry, next three Wodbine and then the last is a Copplestone which is a bit bigger, Copplestone British are particularly big.

20180120_194930 by Roger Castle, on Flickr

Offline summsi

• Librarian
Re: how compatible are woodbine ww1 indians and foundry darkest africa askari?
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 09:26:56 PM »
the Zanzibari is from foundry, but I have never seen the Figure left of him. Is he really from foundry?

Oh, and I wanted to use DA askaris as scouts for indians.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: how compatible are woodbine ww1 indians and foundry darkest africa askari?
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 11:20:45 AM »
You are right sorry he is a Copplestone with a head swap, my bad.

I have a lot of different makes in my collection, including Woodbine, Foundry and Copplestone I also have Honourable Lead Boiler Suit Askaris and Brigade Games German Sailors..

We did a fairly big game at Partizan a while back here is a link to a post on my blog, lots of pictures showing how the figures stack up against each other which may help.

http://gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/bagamayo-1916.html