Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:59:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Blood Eagle Miniature  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: Blood Eagle Miniature
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2018, 03:39:40 PM »
No but please, do sculpt some impaled victims  :D.

Edit: and make sure they are Saracens. With boobs. To tick all the sjw-boxes  lol
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:42:25 PM by Duncan McDane »
Leadhead

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2018, 03:55:06 PM »
The Blood Eagle - real or myth ?  Below is from the Wikipedia article on the Blood Eage - I was too lazy to look up my own references, but the upshot is that it might be just a myth or mistranslation.

The blood eagle ritual killing rite appears in just two instances in Norse literature, plus oblique references some have interpreted as referring to the same ritual. The primary versions share certain commonalities: the victims are both noblemen (Halfdan Haaleg or "Long-leg" was a prince; Ælla of Northumbria a king) and both of the executions were in retaliation for the murder of a father.

There is debate about whether the blood eagle was historically practiced, or whether it was a literary device invented by the authors who transcribed the sagas. No contemporary accounts of the ritual exist, and the scant references in the sagas are several hundred years after the Christianization of Scandinavia.

Alfred Smyth supported the historicity of the ritual, stating that it is clearly human sacrifice to the Norse god Odin. He characterized St. Dunstan's description of the Ælla's killing as an "accurate account of a body subjected to the ritual of the blood eagle".

Roberta Frank reviewed the historical evidence for the ritual in her "Viking Atrocity and Skaldic Verse: The Rite of the Blood-Eagle", where she writes: "By the beginning of the nineteenth century, the various saga motifs—eagle sketch, rib division, lung surgery, and 'saline stimulant'—were combined in inventive sequences designed for maximum horror." She concludes that the authors of the sagas misunderstood alliterative kennings which described carnivorous birds scavenging after battles, i.e. killing a foe and allowing their backs to be torn by eagles as battlefield carrion. She compared the lurid details of the blood eagle to Christian martyrdom tracts, such as that relating the tortures of Saint Sebastian, shot so full of arrows that his ribs and internal organs were exposed. She suggests that these tales of martyrdom inspired further exaggeration of the misunderstood skaldic verses into a grandiose torture and death ritual with no actual historical basis. David Horspool in his book King Alfred: Burnt Cakes and Other Legends, while not committing to the historical veracity of the ritual, also saw parallels to martyrdom tracts.
 Frank's paper sparked a "lively debate".

Ronald Hutton's The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles: Their Nature and Legacy states that "the hitherto notorious rite of the 'Blood Eagle,' the killing of a defeated warrior by pulling up his ribs and lungs through his back, has been shown to be almost certainly a Christian myth resulting from the misunderstanding of some older verse."[15]

Offline PhilH

• Scientist
    • Bears Head Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2018, 04:22:49 PM »
That's really interesting.
 It certainly doesn't do their reputation for brutality any harm. A bit similar to the film Jaws with the Great White Shark. Dont let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2018, 05:28:00 PM »
I love this mini. If you preorder Saga Viking from Footsore you can apparently get this and a freebie Viking berserker as well.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2018, 06:07:03 PM »
sjw-boxes
feel free to go totally pc over it.

Go on, call someone a libtard and I'll be able to complete my 'right-wing b/s buzzword Bingo' sheet.
 ::)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:32:43 PM by TWD »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2018, 06:23:30 PM »
Okay, keep calm lads, it’s only a small toy - let’s not bring politics (correct or otherwise) into it.  ;)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2018, 07:38:21 PM »
That's really interesting.
 It certainly doesn't do their reputation for brutality any harm. A bit similar to the film Jaws with the Great White Shark. Dont let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Quint was based off of Long Islander Frank Mundus....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »
Quint was based off of Long Islander Frank Mundus....
Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2018, 11:41:57 PM »
Brilliant stuff Sid, one of my all time film Heroes!

"Ten thousand dollars. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

:-*
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:47:36 PM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2018, 01:00:16 AM »
Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies.

😀

Offline Komsomol

• Assistant
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2018, 01:22:09 PM »
@Komosol:
I's a miniature. A representation of old nordic saga's for a game named.... wait for it..., well, you've guessed it, Saga!
Totally not worth cancelling ones tea party imho, but feel free to go totally pc over it.  lol
Totally PC?
I must have missed a class on modern pejoratives.
Nothing 'political' about my feelings.
Historicity, morality and taste - yes.
I was quite happy for others to like it. Why can't you be content for me to dislike it?

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »
Some members of my gaming groupe could need it... as end of game objective marker... with the objective of capturing some enemy player who deserved it (?) in the campaign, and to replace his miniature by it...
Till now they only have 28mm heads on sticks for that.... lol

Wait a minute... I now remember that in a Viking game three years ago, some rogue ran away with the daughter of my Viking chief character, and married her without her father's permission... Well, well, well... I could see a future for him...  >:D

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:08:30 PM by Patrice »