Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:47:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689725
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Clash at Cynewiin - Epic Heroes ( squad level ) game in middle earth  (Read 1358 times)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
Clash at Cynewiin, large epic heroes games ( Epic heroes is the fantasy expansion for Brink of Battle )

To try something different, I built two large standard forces. Normally I default to elite because it is needed given the cost of models with traits and armor in period I.
So in this case I greatly limited the stats and traits to be able to get 12-13 models per side.
The result was a very enjoyable large battle.
We tend to do these games where one of us builds the two factions and then the other player chooses which faction to use. In this case I ended up playing Rohan. The scenario was the raid scenario with the cart in the middle of the street as the objective.
AAR:
http://www.thewargamespot.com/clash-at-cynewiin-epic-heroes-of-middle-earth-skirmish-battle/

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: Clash at Cynewiin - Epic Heroes ( squad level ) game in middle earth
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 11:41:26 AM »
Great table and scenery you have there. I popped over to your blog to read the bat-rep - not being an owner of the rules, how did you work out the bait and trap strategy so that Rohan fell for it?
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 02:39:51 PM »
Thanks !

mmm... should I say something clever or should I confess the truth ?

Well let's go with the truth.. I didn't ... My opponent tricked me though his tactics.

The rules allow for those things. It is not that easy to redeploy once you commit because you have limited activations every other turn and many tactical options to counter the enemy actions to take advantage of a mistake, kind of like a chess game.

I was concerned that from the high ground the Uruk with a crossbow would be constantly picking my guys over the terrain so I planned to send my commander supported by a trooper and the horse archer to choke that flank.

As I did this my opponent cut through a diagonal with his uruks, the stronger soliders in his force. For me to react it meant wasting actions undoing what I had done.. moving across terrain to my left flank. My right flank I thought was an even fight, my weaker troops vs his weaker troops but as since his tougher guys reached the action before mine he got two turns of a good advantage. By the time my stronger troopers re-engaged the had to do at tactical disadvantaged combats.  In Brink of battle small melees, even 2 on 2 models or similar change dramatically depending on how you engage. Takes time to explain but for example if I have a guy with a spear and a guy with a sword and I'm forced to engaged with my sword guy before my spear guy it could be disadvantageous. It is more complicated than that but that is kind of the idea and since all rolls are D10 opposed roles each modifier can tip the scales..

So the anaswer is.. how did the bait and trap was done ? ... My opponent outsmarted me :) ... Don't worry.. I'll get him next time !!!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the explanation - the rules sound like they make for a very tactical based game. I will have to see if I can grab a copy to peruse and maybe try out.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 04:45:51 AM »
They do... I love them and they are awesome particularty for ancients/dark ages and fantasy..

I am additcted to this game :) ... make sure you download the warbands I built for that game if you get the rules.. just to compare and contrast when you build a force..

cheers

Francisco
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:19:36 PM by seldon »

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 07:45:30 AM »
A nice looking game and sounds a lot of fun.