Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:05:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ahistorian's ][nq28 - update (inc painting!) 14/01  (Read 9481 times)

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
Re: Ahistorian's ][nq28 - update 04/07
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2018, 04:05:57 PM »
I'm glad you like her! :)

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
Re: Ahistorian's ][nq28 - update 30/12
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2019, 09:47:00 PM »
Three new conversions to distract me from painting my Custodes... the wounded veteran, the mid-tech sniper, and a guardsman I refer to as "One does not simply walk into the Eye".

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2019, 06:05:27 PM »
Those three are great! Looking back I really like all your conversions, some really interesting use of bits. I'm particularly taken with the imperial agent made out of the cultist leader, did you cut the front off a Cadian torso and stick it on?

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2020, 12:52:27 AM »
Thanks! That's actually exactly what I did, but it took a lot of careful shaving at funny angles to make it slot in "naturally". That's one of my proudest achievements, as it happens!

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2020, 01:16:02 PM »
Quite the spam update today... Image-heavy!

First, the hedge-knight of Spyrers, a poor scion of an uphive fmaily trying to earn a reputation in the sumps.

A few underhive mercenaries.

A team of special operatives.

The next retinue to get painted, which will be my first Contrast Blanchitsu creation. Also a close-up  of the arco-flagellant, a simple conversion from a Blackstone Fortress electro-cultist. I don't have a name for any of them yet.

A Tau Ethereal, corrupted by his time among the gue'la, using its pheromones in the Underhive. He was going to be a Delaque witch until my fiancée said he should be an alien wizard and referenced Voldemort...

Naval Commandos, led by an officer in a leather greatcoat. 3 shotguns and a flamer, the sergeant has a hellpistol and is (purely accidentally) in the perfect pose to see the Ethereal looking down on him.

An interrogator, a Crusader, a Vindicare, and an Acolyte with storm bolter (I hear they're popular).

My version of Inquisitor Covenant. Looking forward to trying to put together the rest of his retinue from similarly spare parts.

And finally, my first Inq28 vehicle. Planned for over a year, I finally assembled it in just a couple of hours this week. I'm going to be soaking it in washes and Contrast over a silver spray to get a really grimy look to it.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2020, 07:04:35 PM »
Some more really cool work there, keep up the good effort.  I may take some inspiration from shamelessly steal some of those ideas.  My one observation, which is a pet peeve of mine, is that the muzzles would benefit from being drilled out a bit.
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 37  Figures Painted: 6
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2020, 07:13:42 PM »
Please do steal!

I used to drill them out, but I just can't be bothered any more. Being ill, I have only limited energy and prefer to spend it building. I should get a barrel imp...

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2020, 07:48:11 PM »
A hedge knight in necromunda  :o :-*
You sir rock !!

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2020, 05:03:04 AM »
Big fan of your work here, I do some N40k gaming myself and will be taking plenty of inspiration from your work here.

Also converted my own speeder variant:

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2020, 10:58:08 AM »
Always nice to meet a fan  :D  Oooh, that's very nice indeed! Are all the parts GW?

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2020, 11:16:51 AM »
Some new bits now, and proof that I do occasionally put paint to brush!

First and worst, a conversion of an old Goliath figure to clear space in the bitzbox. I guess he's some sort of gladiator?

Second, a gunslinging bounty hunter and deserter from the Imperial Guard. I've since removed the aquila on his breastplate to match the wings missing from his helmet. Quite pleased with the mashup of Scion shoulders and Orlock arms.

Third, Phal ad-Deen, who wishes he was a paladin. Clearly part of an Inquisitorial retinue given the holy flamer he bears.

Fourth, what happens when the Enforcers need support? Being of Irish heritage and distrusting the Imperium's oppression of the people, I assume some sort of Auxiliary Detachment. Hence this Underhive patrol of monstrous "police cadets". No need to take the politics any further than these allusions please, the models came from a bit of craic with a mate.

Next, characters.

Yazid Binzar didn't get to where he was today by shirking! Of course, he didn't get there through an honest day's work either. No, Yazid believes in working smart... and in the shadows. He is now an asset to several competing Inquisitors, all of whom have helped fund his social and political aspirations. Emperor save him when the hammer falls, but until then, he'll keep on living the good life.

Rasheed Triceon, third of his clan, is the youngest and most alive of three brothers. Squeezing his slight hunch into their father's exo-armour, he now leads the ragged remnants of his fleet in search of new worlds to conquer, hoping he can strike it lucky before his Warrant ceases to cool his crew's discontent.

My second Inq28 vehicle is much heftier than the first! This is an Inquisitorial urban riot-mobile, inspired by Judge Dredd and the Russian BMPT Terminator. It has a turret-mounted missile launcher and hotshot volley gun, hull-mounted hotshot volley gun and heavy flamer, two dorsal grenade launchers and three smoke launchers for maximum enemy confusion. Two face the rear to cover the occupants' exit under fire. Unlike most Chimeras, it only takes 6 passengers, because it has a small cell inside for miscreants (as hinted at by the window on its right-hand side.

Finally, a WIP of my first Contrast/Blanchitsu warband. It isn't as fast or as fun as I had hoped, but I have learned valuable lessons for the next set.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:17:32 AM by Ahistorian »

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2020, 10:01:55 AM »
Always nice to meet a fan  :D  Oooh, that's very nice indeed! Are all the parts GW?

The female marine heads are 3rd party, everything else if GW, I'm pretty sure.

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
Re: Ahistorian's ][nq28 - update 10/01
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2020, 10:31:46 PM »
Very nice work indeed!

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
Re: Ahistorian's ][nq28 - update 10/01
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2020, 09:14:46 AM »
A few randoms to begin with: a doomladen scavvie, an acolyte that thinks it's a Knight, a kick-ass lady, an Underhive monster, and an Underhive monster touched by Chaos.

Next some Blackstone Fortress conversions. The priest has been slightly de-glammed, and will now be a rabble-rousing preacher lurching around the Underhive. How does he stay that plump..? One of the ratlings has had a super-simple barrel-swap, and some Chaos gubbins attached round back to replace the bipod and boxes that used to be there - he'll be in someone's retinue, most likely Triseon's. And then Draik got head and hand swaps to represent an older, wiser Cleander von Castellan in the service of Inquisitor Covenant (see further up). I also clipped the pistol-grip out from his holster for verisimilitude (yes, I cleaned the burrs off his fingers once the photo ID'd them!).

Since the opening of the Cicatrix Maledictum, Inquisitor Gan Xilai is, as his name suggests, without hope. Clad in a simple pilgrim's cloak, he and his retinue are riding the starways back towards Terra in the hopes that communion with or near the Throne might reveal some desperately needed answer. He is guarded by his chief lieutenant, ex-drop trooper Hima Flowers, and his personal arco-flagellant, X1138. With them are the hive ganger Jyeo Mhar, and the Guard veterans Kehume the medic and Fragell the bionic man. They have formed a bond in the heaving, hellish depths of the pilgrim ships, and now work to further the Inquisitor's aims.

I've learned some things about working with Contrast from these guys, namely to block your starter colours (especially metal) down before you start lashing on the Contrast, and to work lightest upwards (derp). I will have to plan more ahead of time with the scavvies and Ratskins due up next on my painting table. Sharp-eyed viewers may notice that I reversed my usual basing colours and drybrushed the metal planking on this retinue. This was an attempt to show that Xilai isn't lurking in the depths of some hive like the others are, while still tying them into my collection's aesthetic.